Johnny Rockets, I just don't get it

I am wondering when people are going to get it through their heads that the $4 charge is not for the food, but the clean up. I was on Voyager and I can not tell you the amount of times I say a half eaten hamburger or empty shake glass ALL over the ship. Not to mention the line for what is an average meal. If RCI places no value on a service they offer than the passengers will not either. If a $4 charge cleans up the ship than I for one am glad, glad that they are charging. Cruising is not all-inclusive.

Your cruise in NOT all inclusive or you would be getting all those foo-foo drinks free too. Just because you paid to cruise doesn't mean everything else is free once you board. If you go to a hotel you will pay a lot more money just to get the ROOM. We have considered an all-inclusive cruise but they really are a lot more money.

Where did anyone say that a cruise is all inclusive? Who said everything on board should be free because you paid for the cruise? The question is whether or not a certain $4.00 charge should be classified as a bargain. No other point was trying to be made, not even whether or not the charge should exist at all.

I am wondering when people are going to get it through their heads that the $4 charge is not for the food, but the clean up.

Well thank you for clearing that up. That is a whole new explanation that has never been brought forth before... not even by RCI. If your theory was true then I can just imagine what the charge for "cleaning up" the Windjammer would be.

Personally, I like personal choice options in life. And that is exactly what Johnny Rockets is on the Voyager class ships. The "standard" burger that is available on the entire fleet is still available at the Windjammer at no additional charge for those that want one. JRs is a premium burger along with the other items available. It's fresh and juicy as compared to the free ones that tend to have set and tend to be dry. To have a dbl JR burger, fries and rings and maybe apple pie for $3.95 is a bargain, when you want the best food product. I do understand that many were trained by MacDonalds years ago to believe that a burger should taste like ketchup, mustard and pickle, rather than beef. Those people may never be happy with a burger that tastes like meat.

Where I shop it may be a stretch to think that $4 could not buy a hamburger and fries, but throw in the labor and you may be getting close. (Is that literal enough for you) if you are asking if standing in line for thirty minuets is worth that experience, I will say with out a doubt, unequivocally, and in my humble opinion you better believe I just threw you’re stuff on the floor and took your chair.

Well thank you for clearing that up. That is a whole new explanation that has never been brought forth before... not even by RCI. If your theory was true then I can just imagine what the charge for "cleaning up" the Windjammer would be.

Really it was crystal clear to me when they did that having worked in service before. It cut’s down on the overwhelming traffic and keeps it at a steady pace. It also puts value on the food and people don’t go back for one, two, three servings and leaving it all over the ship or “Chair-hogg” a booth. The food is above what RCI offers in Windjammer (Which is fine for me) but bellow a Red Robin experience and frankly that’s ok with me too. We will be spending our $4 there soon.

We also have one in the mall I have been there once.

I have to agree with Flagger. The Johnny Rockets here in the Kansas City area closed due to lack of business. We have a better local place called Winsteads.

Ah, when I make my yearly journey back "home" I have to get my fix of those skinny, delicious, Winstead burgers I had as a kid.

I am wondering when people are going to get it through their heads that the $4 charge is not for the food.

Really it was crystal clear to me when they did that having worked in service before. It cut’s down on the overwhelming traffic and keeps it at a steady pace. It also puts value on the food and people don’t go back for one, two, three servings and leaving it all over the ship or “Chair-hogg” a booth.

Make up your mind. The charge is NOT for the food or the charge puts a value on the food? This really is one of those things that you can't have both ways. And how does it stop chair hogging when once you pay your $3.95 you can sit there and eat as long and as much as you want?

Once again, I'm not even debating the charge. I just don't get what you are saying. Though, as you stated, it is all crystal clear to you.

At the announcement of the Charge for Johnny Rockets, Royal Caribbean's reasoning was crowd control. Many, many young people were going there and spending hours. Results? Long lines and and unhappy guests. It had become THE hangout and others couldn't get reasonable service. I remember this as fact when I was there.

Just my 2 cents (plain)!

Compared to Burger King Roy Rogers, Jack in the Box and Wendy's

JR is head and shoulders above them and at $3.95 is price on par for their whopper / double cheese burger. JR's St/Louis burger to me is fresh and done to order unlike the Chain Burgers. We have Duchesss in Ct which is as good as chains go and price wise is as exprnsive as JR but not quite there.

Add fries and rings and a soft drink you are into at least $7 bucks.

Granted as C&A members our first visit is free and we usually don't make a second forray during the week - the comments that others have made that the Windjammer burgers are dry from hanging around is to me a good reason to pay $3.95 for a Double St.Louis any day

JR's the ultimate hangover cure!!

Nothing like shoveling in greasy fries, rings and burgers after drinking 20 mai tai's the night before. The windjammer food just doesn't have that satisfying grease factor.

The Chili Cheese Fries are worth the price of admission...

A-Men! I worked at Johnny Rockets twice while I was in high school. I adore all of the food, but the chili cheese fries (no onion!) are the pinnacle of greasy fatty goodness in my book.

I am wondering when people are going to get it through their heads that the $4 charge is not for the food, but the clean up . . . If RCI places no value on a service they offer than the passengers will not either.

I still have not heard a reasonable explaination for charging for a burger/fries onboard. I am going to eat lunch somewhere; an RCI person will clean up after me somewhere. People bring Windjammer food out to the pool deck. People have room service food all over the place. JR's milkshake cups are not the only cups that will be found on poolside tables. I can't believe that JR's food is more expensive to clean up than other food.

I believe RCI has placed a value on the services they provide: the value of my next cruise is about $3000.

Lets see, we will lease out space to JR'S, we will continue to serve inferior meat(hamburgers) not offer good milkshakes or onion rings, and people will spend their money there so they will renew the lease- Brilliant idea. And then we will do that with coffee products. Even more brilliant.

I still have not heard a reasonable explaination for charging for a burger/fries onboard. I am going to eat lunch somewhere; an RCI person will clean up after me somewhere. People bring Windjammer food out to the pool deck. People have room service food all over the place. JR's milkshake cups are not the only cups that will be found on poolside tables. I can't believe that JR's food is more expensive to clean up than other food.

I believe RCI has placed a value on the services they provide: the value of my next cruise is about $3000.

did they include alcohol or Cokes in your cruise fare too?:p

how do you get children to leave JRs if they can eat there all day next to the arcade? :p

Ok, here is one that has always confused me. It is not right that they charge you $3.95 for you to jam hamburgers and fries and onion rings with chili down your throat for as long as you want, but it is ok to charge you almost that much for a shake.... I don't think even OB can get me to understand that one.:p

Gosh, just when I think I can't think of any reason to read another JR thread, I really need to get help.... Of course, all the good ones are already probably helping you guys! :D

jc<----- is just joking.... sorta...

So that the kids would stop hanging out there. JR's is on the same deck where the kids hang out. At least That's the way I saw it on the NOS. They were probably taking up tables, ordering food, not tipping etc. and people/adults could not get in there to eat, so they started charging for it. That's what I think anyway...I saw no kids hanging out when I was on the NOS, so apparently if that was the reason, it worked.

Don M. I think you got it in reverse. The standard burger that is served on the entire Royal Caribbean fleet is also available on the Voyager class. Standard, not inferior. On Voyager class ships with so much room and options, they do offer a premium hamburger option for a very modest charge. Yes, it's to control the kids taking over the place so others can't get a seat. If most people didn't think that JRs offers a worthwhile product, then it wouldn't have been continued on all the subsequent Voyager class ships after Voyager.

I wont argue "standard", "inferior" etc with you, its all subjective. All I know is that on recent Vision ships, the hamburgers served have been a slight step above their "ranch steak". I hope the Jewel next month serves better beef.

It is so funny to read some of the replies on here. It's pretty darn simple people. If you don't want to spend the money to eat at JR's then don't. Go eat at the venues on the ship that are free. If it p*sses you off that bad that RCI is charging for burgers then move to another line. Vote with your wallet. I guess some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

It is so funny to read some of the replies on here. It's pretty darn simple people. If you don't want to spend the money to eat at JR's then don't. Go eat at the venues on the ship that are free. If it p*sses you off that bad that RCI is charging for burgers then move to another line. Vote with your wallet. I guess some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

Are you trying to make sense again? tsk tsk :D

Oh and by the way, you are right, it is THAT simple.!!:cool:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to eat at Johnny Rockets. We ate at the one on the Explorer (when it was still included in the cruise fare) and have eaten twice at one that opened in our home town about 6 months ago. All three times the food was not very good...the burgers were greasy and burnt, and the fires and onion rings both tasted like they came out of an Ore-Ida bag The service was mediocre at best, and the servers didn't perform while we were there. Our local JR got a write-up by the food critic in the Toledo (Ohio) paper, and got only "one star" out of five. We aren't all that picky around here, but almost NO one gets only one star unless they are REALLY bad, so it's not just me.

I like a good burger, but I guess I'll just cook them at home or go to Red Robin...

Archived