The Jewel's Repositioning Cruise: A Pictorial Review!

Hey DarthGrady,

What a wonderful review. Your effort is much,much appreciated by all.

And by the way, you might remember me. St. Martin.

I was "Mike" the Bartender who was sitting in the front next to John, tending bar at the cooler. Almost got fired a couple of times, what with "Jim" in the seat in back of me watching my every move!!!

Thanks,

Mike

(Hope you enjoyed your Presidente beer!! Or was it Carona?):p

The Rum Punch was awesome too!!

I did enjoy all those Coronas and Presidentes! You did your job well good sir. ;):D

So did the wife sneak one of those chickens in her luggage as a souvenier?

Now that you are home, you can fess up! :cool:

No, I don't think our dogs would enjoy that. Or maybe they would. Either way, I don't think the chicken would be very happy. :D

Great review!! We'll be on Jewel in July and can't wait!! I was wondering about the gym-you were in there often, so wondered if there were any step classes offered. I saw steps in one of your photos, and love that type aerobic class.

Thanks again-I'm getting very excited about seeing Jewel for the first time!

I'm going to go off on a tangent for a moment. I meant to post this while covering the ship. This is the new brand of tea that RCI is putting out now. It's awful. I enjoy Earl Grey, and this new stuff tastes bad. I've written about my dislike for this new brand on the comment cards. Hopefully they switch back to the (still not great) Lipton.

232323232%7Ffp43884%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A393985326nu0mrj

Okay, back on track:

Heading to the airport, Puerto Rico's main "interstate"

232323232%7Ffp43863%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A3844%3B7326nu0mrj

Some salt in the wound as our vacation ended232323232%7Ffp43839%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A393995326nu0mrj

The Normandie Hotel, built to look like the former ocean liner of the same name.

232323232%7Ffp43836%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A38%3C%3B%3A4326nu0mrj

One last glimpse of our ship

232323232%7Ffp437%3B2%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A38%3C%3B94326nu0mrj

Our final stop of the trip

232323232%7Ffp43844%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A38%3C%3B95326nu0mrj

I can see my up coming balcony from your pic of the rear. 10th floor below windjammer dead center. Woooooo can't wait less the a week. Funny they show allure and oasis there yet it leaves from ft lauderdale.

I can see my up coming balcony from your pic of the rear. 10th floor below windjammer dead center. Woooooo can't wait less the a week. Funny they show allure and oasis there yet it leaves from ft lauderdale.

That will be nice, those aft balconies are awesome! We did an aft JS on Radiance and an aft extended balcony on Jewel. The view from back there and the sound of the wake at night can't be beat.

Great review!! We'll be on Jewel in July and can't wait!! I was wondering about the gym-you were in there often, so wondered if there were any step classes offered. I saw steps in one of your photos, and love that type aerobic class.

Thanks again-I'm getting very excited about seeing Jewel for the first time!

Sorry, I can't help with that. I don't do the fitness classes. I know they have spin bikes and steps in there, but I don't know when the classes are offered or how much they are.

I'm going to go off on a tangent for a moment. I meant to post this while covering the ship. This is the new brand of tea that RCI is putting out now. It's awful. I enjoy Earl Grey, and this new stuff tastes bad. I've written about my dislike for this new brand on the comment cards. Hopefully they switch back to the (still not great) Lipton.

232323232%7Ffp43884%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A393985326nu0mrj

Okay, back on track:

Heading to the airport, Puerto Rico's main "interstate"

232323232%7Ffp43863%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A3844%3B7326nu0mrj

Some salt in the wound as our vacation ended232323232%7Ffp43839%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A393995326nu0mrj

The Normandie Hotel, built to look like the former ocean liner of the same name.

232323232%7Ffp43836%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A38%3C%3B%3A4326nu0mrj

One last glimpse of our ship

232323232%7Ffp437%3B2%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A38%3C%3B94326nu0mrj

Our final stop of the trip

232323232%7Ffp43844%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A38%3C%3B95326nu0mrj

This is both upsetting and serious.....we were on the Grandeur repositioning cruise from San Juan to Baltimore and were faced with the same AWFUL tea but thought it was because they were changing from the South American market and hadn't got the standard Lipton tea back on board. I too like Earl Grey but also like English Breakfast/standard tea and I tried both in this new brand and it something akin to chewing on flowers. AWFUL is almost too kind for how it really tasted. We need to have RCCL realize how many detest this tea so I am going to start a thread specifically about this tea and would hope that you will please post your picture of the tea on that thread. Thanks!

Grady: We will be on Jewel next Spring leaving from San Juan - We are on the 8th deck and that overhang looks like it might really spoil your view. Do you know about what cabins it affects - we are in cabin 8622. Thanks for any input you can provide. :D

We were in cabin 8122 and 8128 and could not see the deck or much of anything unless it was really far out.

This is both upsetting and serious.....we were on the Grandeur repositioning cruise from San Juan to Baltimore and were faced with the same AWFUL tea but thought it was because they were changing from the South American market and hadn't got the standard Lipton tea back on board. I too like Earl Grey but also like English Breakfast/standard tea and I tried both in this new brand and it something akin to chewing on flowers. AWFUL is almost too kind for how it really tasted. We need to have RCCL realize how many detest this tea so I am going to start a thread specifically about this tea and would hope that you will please post your picture of the tea on that thread. Thanks!

I'd be happy to, post the link to your thread once it's up and I'll stop in.

Sorry they're hazy, I was having some fogging issues. Running out into the muggy Tampa Bay air from the cold VCL will apparently do that. I'm fairly new to the world of DSLRs, so if anyone has any advice on avoiding this problem I'd love to hear some.

I don't think I saw anyone answer this question. Anyone who mixes cruising and photography has faced this problem. I asked this same question a couple of cruises ago when I missed the only really good sunset on the cruise because of the same issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a great answer for how to do this quickly. I follow 2 pieces of advice given to me by others:

1. Give your lens plenty of time to acclimate to the new temperature (since the cold lens meeting the hot/moist air causes the condensation/fogging). I typically put my camera bag on my balcony in the morning so that the camera and lens have time to acclimate before we leave the cabin. This wouldn't work in your case if you needed to quickly run out of the VCL to take a shot.
  2. Keep a desiccant pack or two in your camera bag. This keeps whatever moisture that would normally be in your bag from condensing on the cold lens, and you can use your equipment a little sooner.

I'd love to hear other suggestions that anyone may have, particularly if you don't have time to let the equipment acclimate to the warmer temperature.

I don't think I saw anyone answer this question. Anyone who mixes cruising and photography has faced this problem. I asked this same question a couple of cruises ago when I missed the only really good sunset on the cruise because of the same issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a great answer for how to do this quickly. I follow 2 pieces of advice given to me by others:
  1. Give your lens plenty of time to acclimate to the new temperature (since the cold lens meeting the hot/moist air causes the condensation/fogging). I typically put my camera bag on my balcony in the morning so that the camera and lens have time to acclimate before we leave the cabin. This wouldn't work in your case if you needed to quickly run out of the VCL to take a shot.
  2. Keep a desiccant pack or two in your camera bag. This keeps whatever moisture that would normally be in your bag from condensing on the cold lens, and you can use your equipment a little sooner.

I'd love to hear other suggestions that anyone may have, particularly if you don't have time to let the equipment acclimate to the warmer temperature.

Thanks, that's a great idea about the silica packs, I'll start doing that!

After that first day I started doing what you described, putting the camera out on the balcony for a few minutes before we left the ship each day. It seemed to help a lot. Once on the pier, only the UV filter fogged over and the camera could be used after only a few seconds.

You do not know how much I enjoyed all of your postings about this trip. I will be going on Jewel of the Seas 8/31/13 and was curious about it. The pictures and all your comments really made me more excited about the upcoming cruise.

Do you mind if I add you as a friend on here so I can read other reviews you post?

Clara

Just2cats

Thanks, that's a great idea about the silica packs, I'll start doing that!

After that first day I started doing what you described, putting the camera out on the balcony for a few minutes before we left the ship each day. It seemed to help a lot. Once on the pier, only the UV filter fogged over and the camera could be used after only a few seconds.

Grady, I understand they make things to put in your bag to make it warm inside, that is the key here. To be honest the cold lens, especially good metal ones coming in contact with the warm moist air is the problem. If you find a way to warm that lens well before using you are in good shape. That is why putting it outside works prior to using.

Sent from my iPad

My friend, thanks for another great review! Jewel OTS is our favorite RCI ship and we will miss her as we don't fly to cruise :(

I hope that our paths will cross again!!!

Thanks Ian! :)

I cannot figure out how to get my picture changed. Also, I need to update with the cruises I have been on. Hopefully, I can work on that this week.

Yes, you can add me to your friends list. Also, the User CP tab at the top of the screen should have all the controls for changing your avatar and signature.

Thanks Grady! Great report!

I have a question about the forts...we are sailing in November ( in corner aft- so excited!) and we are planning a day in OSJ after we disembark. We haven't been since 1993!:eek:

My question is, are there a lot of " displays" inside the forts now? They were always beautifully restored for Caribbean forts ( see the one in Grand cayman as an example of not preserved, if you can call it a fort:rolleyes:) But the figure of the soldier and "mock up"of the barracks looks new to me. DH loves loves loves forts and will be very excited for us to tour the interiors if there are some displays and what not going on inside the forts now. Was one better inside than the other- we may pay to tour inside just the better one, if one is better.

Another question? Is it pretty clear at the airport where to get the " agricultural" stamp before you go through security? I heard of you don't have it they send you back- don't want to stand in the wrong line for an hour!

TIA!

We've never done the planes at Maho- even though we have even spent the week in St Martin. I guess it would be neat to see, but looked a little too dicey for me:eek:.

Thanks for all the pics and putting up with the questions!

Thanks Grady! Great report!

I have a question about the forts...we are sailing in November ( in corner aft- so excited!) and we are planning a day in OSJ after we disembark. We haven't been since 1993!

My question is, are there a lot of " displays" inside the forts now? They were always beautifully restored for Caribbean forts ( see the one in Grand cayman as an example of not preserved, if you can call it a fort) But the figure of the soldier and "mock up"of the barracks looks new to me. DH loves loves loves forts and will be very excited for us to tour the interiors if there are some displays and what not going on inside the forts now. Was one better inside than the other- we may pay to tour inside just the better one, if one is better.

Yes, both forts have many displays, signs and exhibits that teach about the history of each site. The room with the mock-up living quarters and soldier mannequin was the biggest, the rest was pretty unobtrusive.

If you've ever been to the San Marcos fort in St. Augustine, the experience at the forts in SJ will be similar. I also enjoy visiting historical sites, and was impressed by the presentation at both. They are both run by the US National Park Service, which I think makes a big difference from other forts in the Caribbean.

Another question? Is it pretty clear at the airport where to get the " agricultural" stamp before you go through security? I heard of you don't have it they send you back- don't want to stand in the wrong line for an hour!

The USDA inspection stations are located inside the terminal building, along the outer edge. There are large USDA graphics on the walls around each station. You will need to find one and have your bags scanned prior to checking them at the check-in counter.

TIA!

We've never done the planes at Maho- even though we have even spent the week in St Martin. I guess it would be neat to see, but looked a little too dicey for me.

It was neat to see once, though I doubt we'll be going back anytime soon. The beach isn't all that nice, and the prices at the Sunset Grill are pretty high. I think we'll be heading straight for Orient Beach next time.

Thanks for all the pics and putting up with the questions!

No problem!

Hope it helps! :)