Busses from Cannes

bigeck

Going to Eze Village from Cannes via bus is a lengthy process as you would first take a bus to Nice and then have to get the 400 bus out to Eze Village. This process can easily take more then 2 hours (each way) and with bad connections you could be looking at nearly 5-6 hours round trip. The most efficient way to get to Eze Village would be to simply rent a car in Cannes and drive yourselves....which would also allow you to go to several other places during the port day. The next best option would be to take the train to Nice. However you would still need to walk from the train to bus station or use a local bus (or taxi) between these two places.

Keep in mind that the bus to Eze Village does not run very often (sometimes they can be 1 1/2 hours between buses) which is another reason why having your own car can be a great option and save much time.

Hank

Going to Eze Village from Cannes via bus is a lengthy process as you would first take a bus to Nice and then have to get the 400 bus out to Eze Village. This process can easily take more then 2 hours (each way) and with bad connections you could be looking at nearly 5-6 hours round trip. The most efficient way to get to Eze Village would be to simply rent a car in Cannes and drive yourselves....which would also allow you to go to several other places during the port day. The next best option would be to take the train to Nice. However you would still need to walk from the train to bus station or use a local bus (or taxi) between these two places.

Keep in mind that the bus to Eze Village does not run very often (sometimes they can be 1 1/2 hours between buses) which is another reason why having your own car can be a great option and save much time.

Hank

Thanks for that. That would be a better idea. Going to hire a car in Livorno as we have been to Florence and Pisa. Might be able to go to the top road overlooking Monaco

Hank

Hiring a car would be better. Been looking on google maps and wondered if you knew what road it is that has the great view of Monaco. The private excursion drivers seem to have a spot for pics.

Hiring a car would be better. Been looking on google maps and wondered if you knew what road it is that has the great view of Monaco. The private excursion drivers seem to have a spot for pics.

There are several places although many would consider the Grande Corniche (the upper cornice road) to offer the best views. When you pick-up your rental car you can ask the agency to show you the best route. Keep in mind that it would be a bit out of the way from the faster route between Nice and Monte Carlo.

Hank

Hank,

Thanks for info. I had a look on google streetview and it does look good. Not too bothered about going into Monte Carlo. La Turbie looks good. Probably just have a drive about and stay away from the busy parts. We will have a sat nav which will help.

We really love GPS and it has changed my life when driving in Europe :). In fact, GPS probably saved my marriage. When DW was my navigator and I would ask her for help when we got lost (she had the maps on her lap) her response was something like "I can find our location on the map if we are lost?"

Having driven well over 10,000 miles in France and Italy we think of parking in cities as the main challenge. This is very true on Monte Carlo where it can be difficult to find a convenient parking spot when needed. Ironically, one of the easier places to find some parking is near the port :)

Hank

We really love GPS and it has changed my life when driving in Europe :). In fact, GPS probably saved my marriage. When DW was my navigator and I would ask her for help when we got lost (she had the maps on her lap) her response was something like "I can find our location on the map if we are lost?"

Having driven well over 10,000 miles in France and Italy we think of parking in cities as the main challenge. This is very true on Monte Carlo where it can be difficult to find a convenient parking spot when needed. Ironically, one of the easier places to find some parking is near the port :)

Hank

I lived in Germany for 3 years, so driving on the other side of the road isn't a problem. I might buy a cheap road map to see what to input into the sat nav. Looking last on google, I think Eze will be first then La Turbie and down by the Stade Andre Vanco. Then back to port whatever way the sat nav takes us without the toll roads. If we get back in time we can have a walk round Cannes.

Thanks for info. Avis car hire might come up with a different option.

Do you have any information of renting a car in Livorno? I will do but don't know how it is to drive trough the big Livorno port.

We were originally porting in Livorno. We changed to La Spezia. I was going to use Avis as it was by the port and was easy for a drop off. Avis site has a map of offices in the area.

• 2 weeks later...
That's the car booked for Cannes. Got Gps as well. Avis office is next to Hotel Matinez. Can anyone help where the tender drops us off

Yep. The tender pier is at the corner of the old port (Vieux Port). If you look at a street map just locate the main promenade (Promanade de la Pantiero) and follow it to the left (looking inland) till it curves around the old harbor and turns into Quai St Pierre (this runs along the marina). If you follow this Quai to the end of that little harbor your tender pier is located right at the entrance to that small harbor.

Hank

Yep. The tender pier is at the corner of the old port (Vieux Port). If you look at a street map just locate the main promenade (Promanade de la Pantiero) and follow it to the left (looking inland) till it curves around the old harbor and turns into Quai St Pierre (this runs along the marina). If you follow this Quai to the end of that little harbor your tender pier is located right at the entrance to that small harbor.

Hank

Hank,

Thanks for that. I plan on driving to Eze and then on to La Turbie. From there along the Route de Menton and onto the Grande Corniche. Come back along the Route Moyenne Corniche and the back to Cannes. The time will determine which route we take. I've had a look on Google Streetview. However, if you have any other advice, please feel free to advise me of a better route.

Thanks again.

Hank,

Thanks for that. I plan on driving to Eze and then on to La Turbie. From there along the Route de Menton and onto the Grande Corniche. Come back along the Route Moyenne Corniche and the back to Cannes. The time will determine which route we take. I've had a look on Google Streetview. However, if you have any other advice, please feel free to advise me of a better route.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a plan :). Eze gets a lot of mention on CC and just about everyone loves the place. Personally, we put St Paul de Vence on a higher plateau, but that is certainly arguable. As to your plan, you do need to watch the clock if you decide to drive back to Cannes along the coastal roads. If you do that, and have the time, you might be able to make a quick stop in Antibes. But the traffic on those coastal roads can be nasty, so its not a route to take at the last minute when you need to get back to the port. We are also big fans of Nice...especially the old town area. This also might fit into you plans. I think its one of those drives where you need to know your options...and then you make decisions as you see how the day develops. To us, that is the beauty of doing things on our own with a rental car.

Hank

Sounds like a plan :). Eze gets a lot of mention on CC and just about everyone loves the place. Personally, we put St Paul de Vence on a higher plateau, but that is certainly arguable. As to your plan, you do need to watch the clock if you decide to drive back to Cannes along the coastal roads. If you do that, and have the time, you might be able to make a quick stop in Antibes. But the traffic on those coastal roads can be nasty, so its not a route to take at the last minute when you need to get back to the port. We are also big fans of Nice...especially the old town area. This also might fit into you plans. I think its one of those drives where you need to know your options...and then you make decisions as you see how the day develops. To us, that is the beauty of doing things on our own with a rental car.

Hank

I was there last week and used a driver for our day from the port in Monaco but thinking of doing a car rental when we port in Cannes in October.

DH doesn't mind driving and it didn't seem to bad when we were there so I guess from all your posts using a GPS and going to Eze, St. Paul, Nice and Monte Carlo will be doable on our own. Do you suggest Antibes over Nice?

I was there last week and used a driver for our day from the port in Monaco but thinking of doing a car rental when we port in Cannes in October.

DH doesn't mind driving and it didn't seem to bad when we were there so I guess from all your posts using a GPS and going to Eze' date=' St. Paul, Nice and Monte Carlo will be doable on our own. Do you suggest Antibes over Nice?[/quote']

Nope, my preference would be for Nice if you are in that area. One reason we sometimes stop in Antibes is that it happens to be along our driving route. Nice is truly nice and if you are driving to Eze then you could work it into your day. Just keep in mind that Nice is a very large city and you are already starting to spread yourself a bit thin with so many places. As to Nice, my favorite thing there is to visit the morning Flower Market which is located at the Cours Salaya which is on the water-side of Nice's old town. We also enjoy just browsing the shops in the old town area and having lunch in one of their cafes (the best fish soup on earth). Nice also has its share of musuems, but time does force one to make choices.

As to Antibes, we find their area near the marina to be charming and another good choice for any area to have lunch.

Hank

Nope, my preference would be for Nice if you are in that area. One reason we sometimes stop in Antibes is that it happens to be along our driving route. Nice is truly nice and if you are driving to Eze then you could work it into your day. Just keep in mind that Nice is a very large city and you are already starting to spread yourself a bit thin with so many places. As to Nice, my favorite thing there is to visit the morning Flower Market which is located at the Cours Salaya which is on the water-side of Nice's old town. We also enjoy just browsing the shops in the old town area and having lunch in one of their cafes (the best fish soup on earth). Nice also has its share of musuems, but time does force one to make choices.

As to Antibes, we find their area near the marina to be charming and another good choice for any area to have lunch.

Hank

Thanks, we stopped at the market in Nice for a quick 40 minutes with a few minutes to take pics along the water side. I guess we will try plan our day along the same that I did as hubby was not with me and if we get it all done great, otherwise something for next time:) Our port day there in 2011 was a real wash out, it poured with such strong winds that after a short walk along the harbour past the film festival and a couple of ships we headed back to the ship so I am hoping for better weather this time around.

Any suggestions on car rental and do they pick up from the port?

Thanks for all the info you always post - always very helpful.

Archived