Staying in Texas City day before Magic cruise?

... No one has mentioned one of our favorite places and it is right in Texas City on I-45 feeder. Now folks this is real Texas food, I mean chicken fried steak like it should be and huge portions. The baked potatoes are bigger than Dallas. Good prices. Name is Kelly's. If you are coming I-45-S take exit 12 stay on feeder to light then turn left and it is right on the corner on the right. This is where the locals go and we try to keep it secret but will share with y'all.

Actually, that particular Kelley's is in La Marque and quite close to me. In fact, too close and I make too many trips there. 04.gif

http://kelleysrestaurant.com/la-marque-texas-menu.php

Kat 50.gif

Did you look into the courtyard galveston island gulf port? We are going to try them for our jan cruise and got a 139 rate which seemed to be cheaper than the other hotels in the are like harbor house ect. My dh wants to stay on the island.. God forbid something happen to the bridge from the main land the morning of the cruise .... I know its a long shot but we have seen crazier happen

What's going to happen to the bridge?

Galveston hotels are going to be higher right now, it's peak season there. Staying in the League City, Webster, Texas City area is your best bet. Lots to do and see, plenty of good places to eat and the new Tanger Outlet mall is open and a great place to shop at reasonable prices. If you are leaving on your cruise on a Saturday or Sunday, allow extra time for traffic going into Galveston.

It can be slow going...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are staying in Webster at a super 8 ( I know not the top of chain hotel, but from what we saved for 2 nights, as opposed to 2 nights in galveston, we were able to upgrade to balcony on ship), We are flying into Hobby from Tulsa and want to see NASA and go to Kemah boardwalk, and maybe dog races.....hopefully taxis from Hobby to Webster, around Webster, and Webster to Galveston do not kill us. Going on cruise in late august....any suggestions greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Texas City is not far, especially if it's just for the night. My parents just left on the Triumph yesterday. They own a condo in Galveston but it was actually cheaper to stay in a hotel for the one night thanks to the cleaning fees and what they would lose by not renting it out. They got a room at America's Best Value Choice Hotel. It's right next to the Walmart on the Seawall in Galveston for $89. You might want to see if the rate is cheaper in September. They liked it and it came with a continental breakfast

Archived