Very interesting article "Passengers gone overboard"

I am asking because if they did bed checks they would notice in a timely manner the missing passengers.

Except that a lot of people on cruises go to bed really late or not at all so they wouldn't be in their cabin for a bed check. :)

As indicated by the one mother at the end of the article, this is a very traumatic thing for the victims and their families. However -- and as has been demonstrated already -- statistically this is a non-issue.

The Carnival angle is kinda interesting, but still not significant.

Except that a lot of people on cruises go to bed really late or not at all so they wouldn't be in their cabin for a bed check. :)

Not lost but mislaid

From the not missing but mislaid department: Monday CND ran an article about a Fascination passenger who reported that her cabinmate wasn't in her cabin when she woke up. After searching the ship it turned out he was missing, and the Coast Guard was called in to search the path the ship had sailed since he was last seen. One cruise executive dropped us a line to let us know that these days more often than not when a cabinmate is reported "missing" and not in the cabin in the morning, it turns out that the person somehow managed to be sleeping in the wrong cabin, and is amazed that the person in bed with them isn't their original cabinmate. I guess one bed was too hard, and they checked another one that was too soft and they kept going until they found one that was j-u-s-t right.

Not lost but mislaid

From the not missing but mislaid department: Monday CND ran an article about a Fascination passenger who reported that her cabinmate wasn't in her cabin when she woke up. After searching the ship it turned out he was missing, and the Coast Guard was called in to search the path the ship had sailed since he was last seen. One cruise executive dropped us a line to let us know that these days more often than not when a cabinmate is reported "missing" and not in the cabin in the morning, it turns out that the person somehow managed to be sleeping in the wrong cabin, and is amazed that the person in bed with them isn't their original cabinmate. I guess one bed was too hard, and they checked another one that was too soft and they kept going until they found one that was j-u-s-t right.

:p hee hee... kind of funny. But I have a question. How do you get into the wrong cabin in the first place? Don't all the doors lock when you shut them? Or are people propping their doors open at night? :confused:

Or even if they were in their cabin, they might be, umm, in the middle of something and not want to be interupted in their current state of dress (or undress).

At least I've heard rumors that such things go on aboard cruise ships. As a service to Cruise Critic I will try to reseach the matter while I'm on my cruise to find out if there is any truth to it. ;)

Falling off balconies happens allot in Florida, there's at least dozen kids every spring break between Daytona, Panama City, & Fort Lauderdale that somehow manage to do it.

:p hee hee... kind of funny. But I have a question. How do you get into the wrong cabin in the first place? Don't all the doors lock when you shut them? Or are people propping their doors open at night? :confused:

Yeah, I think is you remove the "mis" from Derf's first sentence it is probably a bit more accurate. Aside from the unlikely event of getting into someone else's cabin without permission, one would think that the current occupants would notice.

Really, I think this is Carnival's family friendly way of saying that most people which are reported lost are really just in someone else's cabin.

Will the screws get ya? As noted they are pretty far down. Question is will you be conscious? Look at today's cruise ship. How long of a fall is it? Ever gone off a high dive and hit the water wrong? Every gone off a high high high dive...7 or 8 stories high? And then cuz you fell you hit the water wrong....

Won't matter if the screws hit ya cuz few float well when knocked out cold with maybe a broken back or neck....and the wind kicked out of your lungs....and was the water temp 85 like in the Carib' or more like 50 or less .... AK cruise anyone?

Best advice - don't go there :rolleyes: do not sit on the rail. No not even LEAN ON the rail. This recommendation from one who has spent a bit of time sailing in the Bearing Sea in the winter.... One hand for the ship at all times and never trust a life line.

Well, I know what I should do.. Stop watching "Speed 2: Cruise Control"

Archived