Flights through Viking?

TerryAndDoug

The discounted air being offered helps make this ship a value that we would consider. The only experience we've had buying air along with a cruise was with the ChoiceAir program that Azamara offers. That has worked great for us, as we have been able to choose our own flights and airline. Since Viking is offering a set price for air, I can't imagine there is any choice in flights.

Does anyone have experience with booking flights through Viking? I'm curious if this has worked well or not for others.

Thanks,

Doug

We looked at booking air through Viking but decided to go on our own. We are flying to Venice in a few weeks and booked air on our own by going through Kayak and we were able to book first class through Kayak on Delta for what Delta wanted for economy. I think we will try to go that route again. I like being in control of my seating and flight times.

We booked the cruise air for the first time ever. We paid an extra $100 per person for the ability to choose our own flights and use FF miles to upgrade. I'm nervous about it since flights don't open up until 10 months before departure and we will be making our final payment by December 31st, but we're going to hope for the best.

I'll be sure to report back here with the results.

We booked the cruise air for the first time ever. We paid an extra $100 per person for the ability to choose our own flights and use FF miles to upgrade. I'm nervous about it since flights don't open up until 10 months before departure and we will be making our final payment by December 31st, but we're going to hope for the best.

I'll be sure to report back here with the results.

Our agent told us that Viking was not offering Air Plus on ocean cruises. I will have to check that out.

Oh dear, let me know what you find out. If we don't have the ability to upgrade with miles, I need to know. DH won't fly over in coach. I'd rather just use miles from the get-go. Our invoice does show an extra $200 and in the explanation column it says "Custom Air Frequent Flyer Program" so hopefully we're good?

Oh dear, let me know what you find out. If we don't have the ability to upgrade with miles, I need to know. DH won't fly over in coach. I'd rather just use miles from the get-go. Our invoice does show an extra $200 and in the explanation column it says "Custom Air Frequent Flyer Program" so hopefully we're good?

I just received this email from Viking. They don't say if it will be available in the future for ocean cruises.

Thank you for your recent online enquiry.

At this time Custom Air is not available in conjunction with the tour you have booked for 2015.

If you have other questions please advise.

Regards,

Viking Cruises

Viking Cruises|vikingcruises.com

Viking Cruises: 1-855-338-4546 |Viking River Cruises: 1-800-760-1478 |Viking Ocean Cruises: 1-866-984-5464Representatives are available from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday and 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Sunday (Pacific Time).

Okay, my t/a heard back from her contact at Viking Oceans. Apparently not all itineraries are eligible for Air Plus, but ours (the maiden Istanbul to Venice) is.

Okay, my t/a heard back from her contact at Viking Oceans. Apparently not all itineraries are eligible for Air Plus, but ours (the maiden Istanbul to Venice) is.

Lucky you

My T/A told us the regular air fare to Stockholm and out of Bergen is a little over $4,000.00 for two so our air fare would be like 2,000.00 per person. That seems high to me. I usually book my own air fare but thought about using a T/A for this cruise. Is this what everyone is quoted?

We booked May 2-2015, Bergen to Barcelona..and our TA was told at this time, Viking is not using airlines offering extra leg room seats??? Wondering if they're using Spirit or Alligiant...I thought all intercontinental airlines had extra comfort seats available.

Which airlines does Viking use for the above itinerary? (they won't tell me).

My T/A told us the regular air fare to Stockholm and out of Bergen is a little over $4,000.00 for two so our air fare would be like 2,000.00 per person. That seems high to me. I usually book my own air fare but thought about using a T/A for this cruise. Is this what everyone is quoted?

Is that airfare quoted from the Viking air special? The brochure states that air from California is discounted to $1,095, each.

Have not booked an ocean cruise yet but on recent Christmas Market river cruise booking for December got a $399/pp airfare from ATL. Along with that really low airfare came the caveat that the air was "Not combinable with custom air, stopovers, deviations or Frequent Flyer Programs" in the fine print. Also was advised we will not know airline/routing until 90 days before departure. Normally we are picky about our air arrangements but for this fare decided to use the savings for the two day Cologne extension. My guess is that for the airfares that are greatly reduced, there will be tighter restrictions than the normal airfares usually offered.

Have not booked an ocean cruise yet but on recent Christmas Market river cruise booking for December got a $399/pp airfare from ATL. Along with that really low airfare came the caveat that the air was "Not combinable with custom air, stopovers, deviations or Frequent Flyer Programs" in the fine print. Also was advised we will not know airline/routing until 90 days before departure. Normally we are picky about our air arrangements but for this fare decided to use the savings for the two day Cologne extension. My guess is that for the airfares that are greatly reduced, there will be tighter restrictions than the normal airfares usually offered.

Don't blame you...it would cost me more to get to ATL than it's going to cost you to get to Germany.

We booked May 2-2015, Bergen to Barcelona...quote]

Hi CTLeeA,

Will be on the same cruise with you. We thought this would be a great itinerary since all the ports are new to us. I'm sure we'll be talking over the next two years:eek:

Donna and John

We booked May 2-2015, Bergen to Barcelona...quote]

Hi CTLeeA,

Will be on the same cruise with you. We thought this would be a great itinerary since all the ports are new to us. I'm sure we'll be talking over the next two years:eek:

Donna and John

Hi!

I was born in da Bronx and moved to Manhattan when I was one. Perhaps you saw me on the Grand Concourse? About 15 lbs, curly brown hair..no?

We're taking two cruises before we get to this one so I'm trying hard not to confuse any of them...biggest fear is that I arrange to air to the wrong place.....

like you, most of the ports will be new to us....if Viking keeps us this momentum, they'll be sold out before long.

Hi!

I was born in da Bronx and moved to Manhattan when I was one. Perhaps you saw me on the Grand Concourse? .

You are the only one who picked up on my signature. You may have seen me on line waiting for Alexanders to open, or perhaps eating at Jahn's or getting on the bus to continue to Hunter College. Lots of great BX memories. Moved to Orange county with the family. Glad to have you aboard. Hoping Galapagos fiasco is settled soon. A few roll calls have started but like you I have too many irons in the fire right now.

You are the only one who picked up on my signature. You may have seen me on line waiting for Alexanders to open, or perhaps eating at Jahn's or getting on the bus to continue to Hunter College. Lots of great BX memories. Moved to Orange county with the family. Glad to have you aboard. Hoping Galapagos fiasco is settled soon. A few roll calls have started but like you I have too many irons in the fire right now.

I think I did see you at Alexander's. I worked in housewares while in HS. Shoppers would ask me, a 15 year old kid which oven cleaner was best...I always steered them to the most expensive. My mgr loved me!....I don't know about a Fiasco in the Galapagos...I live in Az and we invented fiascos....ummm, we're not going to the Galapagos unless I signed up for the wrong cruise.

Galapagos fiasco? Don't know anything about it. I live in Az and while we didn't invent fiasco's, we perfected them. Wait...did one of us book the wrong cruise? I'm not aware we're going to the Galapagos.

I was told you could go custom for an additional 50 dollars a ticket but that does not guarantee you can pick a flight. For an additional 100 dollars per ticket you can fly into a different city. We would like to fly into Oslo a couple of days prior to reverse itinerary.

So total cost would be extra 150 per ticket. My concern is could we might only be allowed to pick multistep flights.

A Big downer since NON stops are available.

When we used Viking Custom Air, we were able to choose our flights, which were non-stop flights. Going in early would include an air deviation fee, which you have mentioned. Why not call Viking and find out?

Galapagos fiasco? Don't know anything about it. I live in Az and while we didn't invent fiasco's, we perfected them. Wait...did one of us book the wrong cruise? I'm not aware we're going to the Galapagos.

Galapagos is our cruise next year on the Xpedition.

We flew with KLM Toronto to Amsterdam in March. I was persuaded to pay the extra $50 each for choice of flights. Even though we had been assigned seats, we were shocked when we arrived for the return flight to discover that we were on standby and got the usual story of overbooking. We did get on the flight but had a couple of hours of stress which we did not need. We are doing a 2015 Star and the airfare is a fantastic price.

• 4 weeks later...
I just received this email from Viking. They don't say if it will be available in the future for ocean cruises.

Thank you for your recent online enquiry.

At this time Custom Air is not available in conjunction with the tour you have booked for 2015.

If you have other questions please advise.

Regards,

Viking Cruises

Viking Cruises|vikingcruises.com

Viking Cruises: 1-855-338-4546 |Viking River Cruises: 1-800-760-1478 |Viking Ocean Cruises: 1-866-984-5464Representatives are available from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday and 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Sunday (Pacific Time).

My TA told me this morning that Viking will not offer any custom air option on flights into Bergen. Said that it was his impression that in the past they used Lufthansa & SAS into Bergen. He did not comment regarding Stockholm, but I suppose that would also hold for leaving from there (reflecting a Bergen to Stockholm itinerary.)