What should I do: Balcony vs. OV

signora

Gem Xmas sailing--could be rough seas out of NY. I have an obstructed view booked on deck 8: for $800 more I can get a midship balcony on Deck 9 plus $80 more OBC ($300). If I switch booking agencies (and pay, I believe, a $100 penalty for canceling). I can get a balcony towards the aft on Deck 10 for $600 more than the OV, plus $375 OBC. The latter sounds to me like the best deal but I'm not sure about paying a penny more. On the other hand, we're balcony converts and I'm not sure I'll enjoy the cruise if we're not in a balcony. Keep in mind that in rough seas the lower down and the more midship the better. I did get seasick in my forward suite on the Pearl last February. So maybe paying more for the midship balcony is right. Bu on the third hand maybe we should stick with the midship OV! Help!

I have to decide today or I lose the second balcony. Any ideas/suggestions?

Rather hard to say. After all, some people are TOTALLY happy with an inside and always book those. Others would only cruise if they had a suite. And, there is everything in between.

Since you have some 15+ cruises, I am guessing only you know where your cabin/dollar value works.

As to paying money to cancel a booking - I hope that TA is normally worth it. That sucks!

If you can afford the upgrade then do it. A balcony would be preferred even though $800 (or even the other upgrade amount) seems like a lot. Since you don't mention upgrading to just an unobstructed view ocean view I'm assuming that isn't an option. What ever you choose, have a great cruise.

I'd go with a mid-ship OV. We also love balconies but that time of year, out of NY, you're going to have at least a couple of days that you can't use it. Save the $$ for something else..........

If motion sickness if a problem, the OV on a lower deck is best....and as this poster said, you can use the $$ for something else.

(My DH just talked me into an inside saying $400 more for something else...and it's on a December cruise when it gets dark early and you can't see anything in the evening after being out at ports most days....)

Gem Xmas sailing--could be rough seas out of NY. I have an obstructed view booked on deck 8: for $800 more I can get a midship balcony on Deck 9 plus $80 more OBC ($300). If I switch booking agencies (and pay, I believe, a $100 penalty for canceling). I can get a balcony towards the aft on Deck 10 for $600 more than the OV, plus $375 OBC. The latter sounds to me like the best deal but I'm not sure about paying a penny more. On the other hand, we're balcony converts and I'm not sure I'll enjoy the cruise if we're not in a balcony. Keep in mind that in rough seas the lower down and the more midship the better. I did get seasick in my forward suite on the Pearl last February. So maybe paying more for the midship balcony is right. Bu on the third hand maybe we should stick with the midship OV! Help!

With all the crowding on a Christmas cruise, I think the real question is not the seas....but do you want to pay for the privacy of a balcony and will the smoking bother you?

With all the crowding on a Christmas cruise, I think the real question is not the seas....but do you want to pay for the privacy of a balcony and will the smoking bother you?

Not sure about the "crowding"?? Why would this cruise be any different than others. Most of these ships sail full, or close to full year round.

Since you say you are reluctant to pay more right now, here's what I would do -- I'd keep the OV mid ship room FOR NOW. It's going to be cold sailing out of NY in December and you're not likely to go outside but simply view the scene from your window anyway. Especially since you are prone to seasickness you're better off being lower and mid-ship. I'd rather feel good in an OV than feel sick in balcony any day! As the cruise gets closer, I would watch the price drops and then reassess how I felt about it. I had also decided against paying an additional $600 for a balcony room early in my booking, however, three weeks before my cruise the balcony price dropped so much that it was going for about $100 over what I'd paid for an OV. I paid the extra $100 and moved into the balcony room. I'd have been perfectly happy in the OV but the balcony was VERY nice to have. I was, however, on a cruise in the Med and the temps were in the mid 70's plus I never get seasick and we did feel the ship movement on a number of occasions even in calm seas. Of course, if you wait you could get shut out of a balcony entirely. It's all about how much you want to pay and how disappointed you'd be in an OV.

Thanks everyone for all the advice: really helpful. I think the last comment struck a really big chord since I really can't afford the extra $800 right now and like someone else said it would be better to feel ok in an OV than sick in a balcony. I'll watch prices like a hawk and in any case feel grateful I'm on a cruise at all since we've already planned one for February and I literally had to twist my DH's arm to get him to agree to this one as well.

Everyone's advice was very helpful: Thank You!

I am on that sailing also and I booked a midship balcony. Didn't even give it a second thought. It will be crowded and I really want the privacy of my own balcony. Personally, I will sit out there in rough seas with my down coat and a blanket. (and a cup of coffee) My colder weather balcony cruises include a late August Northern Isles cruise with a transatlantic back to NY, Alaska, and a late fall Canada cruise. No problem. For me, once I had a balcony, I couldn't go backwards. But everyone is different. Keep in mind that once the ship is south enough, the weather should be delightful and you will miss that balcony. Imagine, coffee and a croissant while watching the sunrise - a glass of wine outside before dinner, a breath of fresh air before retiring, etc. My only fear is having neighbors that smoke constantly. *No flaming here* I am allergic and it actually labors my breathing but I am happily ready to deal with any eventually.

Oh and I get the price increase. This midship balcony room is now several hundred more than when I booked. If money is an issue, I get that too. Good luck in making a decision and happy sailing.

IMG_1394.jpg.7b64594af6c259da740a2569af84ff73.jpg

I am on that sailing also and I booked a midship balcony. Didn't even give it a second thought. It will be crowded and I really want the privacy of my own balcony. Personally, I will sit out there in rough seas with my down coat and a blanket. (and a cup of coffee) My colder weather balcony cruises include a late August Northern Isles cruise with a transatlantic back to NY, Alaska, and a late fall Canada cruise. No problem. For me, once I had a balcony, I couldn't go backwards. But everyone is different. Keep in mind that once the ship is south enough, the weather should be delightful and you will miss that balcony. Imagine, coffee and a croissant while watching the sunrise - a glass of wine outside before dinner, a breath of fresh air before retiring, etc. My only fear is having neighbors that smoke constantly. *No flaming here* I am allergic and it actually labors my breathing but I am happily ready to deal with any eventually.

Oh and I get the price increase. This midship balcony room is now several hundred more than when I booked. If money is an issue, I get that too. Good luck in making a decision and happy sailing.

You know, it isn't even the balcony per se, since I have vertigo and can barely sit out there anyway (so now you think this chick is really crazy)--actually, it's the light and the size of the room, that nice little couch to sit on...ok, so in the OV I'll put my feet up on the bed, I'm resigned, or is it reclined (ouch!)

The balcony saved me on the Gem... our cruise was fully booked, and the Gem during the day, is, well, at best, a bit nutty.

The Gem has a tendency to put sales pitch talks in almost EVERY available lounge. Either the Atrium, or Magnum's or anywhere anyone could possibly sit during the day that does not want to be on the pool deck. Even at the coffee bar in the Atrium there is always a lecture going on.

This is fun for some people but I tend to go on cruises to relax and I enjoy reading and watching the ocean, so having a balcony is almost a must. I also like just opening the doors on nice days and letting the sea air come in to the ship.

I had an aft mini suite, and was SO HAPPY with the size of the room, I almost squealed. It was a great room. The bathroom is a nice size, too.

Not sure about the "crowding"?? Why would this cruise be any different than others. Most of these ships sail full, or close to full year round.

of course ships sail full year round but you know that not every berth in a cabin is filled year round. of course at a Christmas cruise there will be more extended families which will use up every bed in a cabin..as parents will not be sailing alone at this time of the year.

so simply put..every cabin on every cruise is always booked..but the first week of May will see just 2 adult parents occupying that cabin...

the week between Christmas and New Year will see those same 2 adults plus 2 of their kids..as it should be...

and yes, I am fully aware of occupany rules regarding a ship and that 100% full does not mean a full bed count by any means...

and that sailing at 104% of occupancy can and does happen....and that is not considered sailing at above occupancy..

anyway you try to slice it..a Christmas cruise will have more bodies on it than a May sailing that is sailing with all cabins booked...because in May many of those uppers stay shut.

last time we cruised we only used 6 of the possible 8 beds within our 2 cabins. On a holiday cruise it is more than likely that all 8 would be used by a family that may be cruising with say grandparents and all the cousins.

Regardless, the ship will be more crowded at Christmas. And yes, now some will post that it won't be more crowded.....but logical thought should prevail here.

I am not against cruising at Christmas, but don't do it not because of crowds, which I am used to, I don't do it because of price.

DH is wavering positive towards the balcony idea--crowds or no crowds, here we come; we'll pay for it somehow! Yippee!

Congratulations! Hope you won't be disappointed. As you said, the additional light. air, and openness, will be good. Even with your vertigo, you can enjoy a "room with a big view."

Oh, and I monitor the price of this cruise for a drop every couple of days, in which case, I will rebook. But being a holiday cruise, I expect the price to increase, as it has already. And there is a good reason to believe that it will be sold out early and you might be shut out of a balcony room later. However, the price is high. The week before is so much cheaper. But, that's the way it is. Enjoy the cruise. It should be a blast with both Christmas and New Years on one sailing.

Archived