Is Celebrity right for me?

What sort of itinerary are you looking at? Location can have a big affect on the types of passengers on the ship. Personally, I was on Constellation last summer for a 14-day British Isles and Norwegiain Fjords cruise. I was 19 at the time, and I won't lie: many of the passengers were on the older end, and even my mother said she felt younger than most. There were still families though and plenty of younger couples, and honestly, I didn't mind the older age bracket one bit because the cruise was a phenomenal experience. The ship was beautiful and just gave me a good feeling. The crew was absolutely amazing, the facilities were wonderful, and that party atmosphere Carnival has was definitely missing, which was great. I understand that Celebrity ships are a bit more subdued and elegant even in the Caribbean as well, and personally, I like that. I don't know what kind of cruise experience you're looking to have, but I'd recommend Celebrity any day.

Tina, with so many people being on a ship, there are always going to be some people you like and some you don't, so don't make that your only consideration for chosing a cruise line. To be honest, you simply must be open minded to meeting other people even though they may not be the same type of person you are, with the same interests, education, culture or economic status as you. I've met some of the most interesting people on my 40+ cruises, many of them very different from myself.

What do YOU want from a cruise---how old are you---will you be cruising by yourself or with family---how much can you afford to spend---do you want a more upscale or more relaxed cruise----do you want to dress up most evenings or do you want to be more casual---what places do you want to visit---how many days do you want to cruise---those are the things you need to be concerned with, and not about who your fellow cruisers will be. On every cruise ship you're going to find people from every economic, social, racial, educational, gender and age background.

Will you like Celebrity? No one can guarantee that for you. Celebrity has very good food and service, nice rooms (smaller than on some ships if you take a regular room and not one of the high end suites), and a good cross section of the general population. On board you're going to find honeymooners, senior citizens, younger/older couples, families, gays and lesbians, people in wheelchairs, a mix of races, a few singles (not as many as on other cruise lines because Celebrity refuses to give a price break to singles, unlike many other cruise lines) and people from many different countries. You're going to find those demographics on every cruise line you look at.

Celebrity bills themself as a premium cruise line, they are more dressy/formal than the other mass market lines, and they cater to everyone who choses to book one of their ships. Celebrity is a very good mass market line, probably the best of the mass markets.

Been on Celebrity twice (Galaxy and Mercury) really enjoyed them both. Very elegent experiences, excellent food and services. Both of these cruises were in Alaska, which added to the more subdued atmosphere. Definitely not as active as Carnival but we had a great time. It was easy to find some place quiet to sit and enjoy the world passing by. For people who are looking for the party atmosphere, this line will not be it.

As far as overal experience--best food, service, etc. THis is compared to RCI & Norwiegan (although they felt RCI was close)

Caribbean cruises tend to have the most diverse crowds, while longer cruises & those to Alaska, New England, Hawaii, & Europe will tend to have a slightly older crowd, although my parents said there were all ages on all their cruises (they haven't done Europe yet)

We cruised Princess last Oct. to W. Caribb. We were 41 & 38 and felt right at home. I'd say avg. age was 40-60, but we had 2-20 something honeymooning couples at our table & we all had a blast!

Happy cruising!

Kristin

I have been on two Celebrity cruises (Galaxy and Summitt). I have also been on Carnival (back in the '80s though). Compared with Carnival, Celebrity is, in my opinion (by the way I'm only 42 years young) is more refined, elegant. I also found them to have great entertainment (of course depending on which ship you are on), and they catered to both younger and older passengers. The food on Celebrity is excellent and so is the service. Celebrity has three dress codes: casual, semi formal, formal. Formal, of course, I wore an evening gown (I love getting dressed up for dinner); semi formal I put on a nice dress, or skirt and top; casual I wore capris. I personally wish Celebrity would eliminate the semi formal dress code - not needed in my opinion.

Just as others have suggested, you should think about what you want to get out of your cruise and choose the cruise line that you think will offer you want you want.

Archived