Brits & Princess British Isles Vets

wags

We just booked the Aug.10th Cruise on the Golden. I'm confused about the weather reports. Although it will be early to mid August when we travel I hear that we can expect the weather to be cold and rainy. True? I was hoping to pack light clothes so I could travel with just one bag.I expect to need raingear but will I need warmer clothes too? Thanks for any info.

Hi wags, sailing with you on the August 10th sailing here. As for packing, I think packing like going to Alaska is what we will end up doing. Layers that can be kept on and peeled off as necessary. Also waterproof jackets and an umbrella are on the list. One suitcase? I don't think we could do with only one, try "4". Two each is what we will be bringing along I am afraid.

One great thing about Princess is there are self service laundry areas if you needed them, so you can pack a bit lighter than you would say on RCI where they are non existant.

See you in August!

Hi Wags

We're supposed to be having a heatwave this summer - but you never can tell over here so you will probably need to pack for all kinds of weather!! Not much help to you I know but it can be scorching one day and throwing it down the next! We're just having some gorgeous sun over the last few days - Sunday was the hottest day in June for about 30 years - so hopefully it's the start of the heatwave and you will get some good weather :O) Of course I can't handle the heat as we're not used to it so it's been too hot for me this weekend ;O)

Nyree

Of course I can't handle the heat as we're not used to it so it's been too hot for me this weekend

Nyree,

It's been too hot for me as well. I've been wilting.

Wags,

It's unlikely to be 'cold' in the true sense of the word. Just make sure you bring a fleece/jumper as the evenings can get chilly. Also useful would be one of those lightweight waterproof pac-a-macs and maybe a small travel umbrella. Like Nyree said I have heard that temperatures for this summer (June, July and August) favour a trend towards average to above average temperatures. Don't worry unduly. If worse comes to worse you can always go and buy an extra layer.

Laura

Thanks all. Guess it's pack for the worst and hope for the best. We've booked a balcony and hope to use it. As Laura said, if you don't have what you need you can always SHOP!! I never thought of that. Wags

I live near Southampton, and am still wilting... I think it's going to be a hot one - sometimes our best weather is at the end of August but there can be odd showers (hardly ever heavy). It doesn't get that cold - certainly not at that time of year, all you need are cagoules (not sure what you call them - nylon rainjackets?). Have a great holiday. I'm off to Alaska for my first cruise in Sept. can't wait!!:)

I live in Scotland and it is almost impossible to predict what the weather will be like in August. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I find it difficult to define the seasons. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but please prepare for some rain on the Scottish leg of the cruise and a dip in temperature. One blessing is that if it's cold the midgies can't get you!!

Have a ball

Alan

Iv'e had really good luck everytime I have been in Britain, always blue skies and unusually warm (LOL) of course being on a ship off the coast is a whole other ballgame, but I think August would be as good as it gets.

You never can tell with the weather here! For the last few days it has been scorching, but now we're being told to expect torrential rain/thunder/hail tonight and tomorrow, and Saturday is showing cloudy and much cooler.

All this just goes to show you could get anything, so be prepared, especially if you're going up to Scotland.

Have a great trip whatever the weather!

LOL, the great thing about the British weather is you never know what to expect, on August 10th two years ago, several places in S.E. England including London hit 100°F, hopefully for your sake and ours, we'll get a similar heatwave in August nationwide. :D

hopefully for your sake and ours, we'll get a similar heatwave in August nationwide.

Moorsea,

Don't do it to me! I can't stand it at the moment, I am so hot and it's so humid. Never before have I so eagerly awaited the start of a thunder storm. Tonight's the night (or so my husband tells me) ;)

Laura

We just returned from the trans-Atlantic and then the British Isles, left NYC on May 9th and disembarked the Golden in Southampton on June 1st. It was the coldest cruise we have ever been on including twice to Alaska. We live in Arizona so it was nice to be cold and damp. We only had 3 or 4 sunny or partly sunny days the whole time we were gone including our return trans-Atlantic on the QM2. We had a penthouse suite and certainly didn't need the balcony but it is still nice to be able to open the doors and let in some fresh air. Our best weather day was in Edinburgh which was great because it is a super walking city. Best hints are pack umbrellas and pack to be able to layer or unlayer your clothes.

Have a great trip.:)

Well i sure do not want the heatwave to continue

Last week my typical English Garden was full of flowers and a beautiful green lawn .......today the flowers are blown including the roses and the lawn is totally brown

I have watered every evening

Any more summers like this and i shall be selling my home and garden its too soul destroying

Moorsea,

Don't do it to me! I can't stand it at the moment, I am so hot and it's so humid. Never before have I so eagerly awaited the start of a thunder storm. Tonight's the night (or so my husband tells me) ;)

Laura

I live on the Pembrokeshire coast, so we don't really get any extremes, except the wind in the winter, which can be a bit ferocious.

I think you should be getting some cooling storms this evening in the S.E. :D

P.S. You should invest in one of those portable A/C units, I think they're quite reasonable now, if only to cool the bedroom down. ;) :D

Hi,

I returned from the British Isle cruise this past Tuesday. Be prepared to wear "layers". I found it a little misty in the early morning. Sometimes by noon you get hot so you can take off your sweater or rain jacket. In the afternoon you can get surprised by a quick rain shower. We didn't see a lot of sun the past couple of weeks but the weather was nice. I was pleased with the number of daylight hours. It felt like it stayed light 20 hours a day. With these countries, be prepared for anything. Have fun!

Archived