Rental cars in Hawaii

Frogso

What rental car company have you used in Hawaii? We are a group of 6 traveling together and wondering if that would be the best way to get around. We'd need a van to be comfortable. Any suggestions?

I have used Dollar, Budget, and Thrifty. They were all similar and easy to use. Vans are readily available on most islands, as are convertibles, economy, luxury, etc. Other than it can be difficult to rent a car in Kona due to the distance to the airport, it is very simple to book a car in Hawaii.

jc

You could get a Van. Have you considered 2 cars and a pair of walky-talkys? You can stay in touch with each other as well have the option of 2 people doing separate things. :cool:

All the major car rental companies are represented. Look for coupons, discounts, etc.

One way to afford to live in Hawaii is NEVER pay full price for anything. :cool:

Last summer, we used Avis for our car rental. We picked it up at the airport and it was extremely convenient. They were very helpful and accommodating. I used Priceline to get the mini-van at a great price. It was a mini-van at less than a compact price.

We are cruising week of Aug 6; tried to book Enterprise in Kahuliui Maui and they were sold out on Aug 8th; also Enterprise Honolulu is not open on Sundays for those of you planning post-cruise stays. Also they have no locations in Kauai or Hilo. They do have a location in Kona. The cheapest way seems to be to use the Entertainment Book; any entertainment book will suffice, does not have to be Hawaii. And if you have your home state plus Hawaii, you will have more coupons to use!

Enterprise has quite a few locations in Honolulu, so I will have to find out the closest one to the Radisson where we will be staying.

At the Kapiolani Blvd location and thr Ala Moana Blvd location I was able to get a full size car for $33.07 day from Enterprise using the Entertainment coupon for 20% off any vehicle. The Honolulu Airport location was more expensive and since they pick you up and drop you off anyway it seems a waste. I always hate getting off a long plane ride and then waiting a long time for a car etc. I am glad we have travel from the airport to the hotel included in our cruise fare.

We are using Thrifty...except in Kona...the day we tender in. Thrifty has a shuttle at each port and If you are a Blue Chip Member...easy to do...go on line an apply..When you board the shuttle tell the Shuttle Driver you are a Blue Chip member and when you arrive at Thrifty your car will be waiting and off you go.

We were told not to do it at Kona because it take 30min one way to the airport Rental car places and the Shuttle Driver only come back to port at set times...there are a few rental car co. in town...within walk distance from the pier.

Archived