Canada Place to Thrifty car rental walking?

Hi all,

We will disembark at Canada Place. We are walking to the Thrifty car rental on Seymour St. I have been looking at google maps. We could take a left onto Waterfront Rd., but it seems to go underground. Is it possible to walk on this road (doesn't seem like there are sidewalks)? It also seems that pedestrians can walk through Waterfront Park to W. Cordova and then to Seymour.

Our major problem is stairs. We have a mobility scooter. Are there elevators or ramps through the Waterfront Park instead of stairs through the park?

I just can't tell from using Google street level.

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to walk to Thrifty with a mobility scooter and luggage?

Thank you.

Hi all,

We will disembark at Canada Place. We are walking to the Thrifty car rental on Seymour St. I have been looking at google maps. We could take a left onto Waterfront Rd., but it seems to go underground. Is it possible to walk on this road (doesn't seem like there are sidewalks)? It also seems that pedestrians can walk through Waterfront Park to W. Cordova and then to Seymour.

Our major problem is stairs. We have a mobility scooter. Are there elevators or ramps through the Waterfront Park instead of stairs through the park?

I just can't tell from using Google street level.

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to walk to Thrifty with a mobility scooter and luggage?

Thank you.

There are sidewalks all the way. Walk one block straight ahead on Howe Street, turn left onto Cordova, and walk two blocks until you get to Waterfront Station. Cross the street, and Dollar/Thrifty are on the corner of Seymour/Cordova.

Thank you so much, Scott. Google is showing Thrifty(address 413 Seymour St.) at the corner of Seymour and W. Hastings...confusing. Oh well, I'll find it as long as there aren't stairs or tunnels.

Now when I return the car, where is the train to YVR? Is that in the Waterfront Station? Is there a special entrance for handicapped? Your advice is appreciated!

Thanks again,

Judy

Thank you so much, Scott. Google is showing Thrifty(address 413 Seymour St.) at the corner of Seymour and W. Hastings...confusing. Oh well, I'll find it as long as there aren't stairs or tunnels.

Now when I return the car, where is the train to YVR? Is that in the Waterfront Station? Is there a special entrance for handicapped? Your advice is appreciated!

Thanks again,

Judy

The address google maps is right, it's one block further up than I remembered; it's in the building with a big "Alexandra College" Google map view of the location: https://maps.google.com/?ll=49.284645,-123.112919&spn=0.002719,0.006968&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=49.284645,-123.112919&panoid=B4cuAMFeDD4E0qYgp10EWQ&cbp=12,260.36,,0,0.42

The cars themselves are stored in the car park another half block up Seymour

As for getting back to the airport, yes, enter Waterfront station at roughly where Seymour joins Cordova, and there are elevators down to platform level. When you enter, buy your tickets from one of the machines in the centre of the station, and the Canada Line platforms entrances are to the left of where you walk into the station. The trains are roll on roll off, no problem on a scooter.

You should be able to return the car at the airport for no or little added charge.

I just checked on that option. It is $100 more per car. Renting 2 cars for 6 people. Oh well, thanks for the thought. I always wanted to ride the Skytrain.

Thanks,

Judy

The address google maps is right, it's one block further up than I remembered; it's in the building with a big "Alexandra College" Google map view of the location: https://maps.google.com/?ll=49.284645,-123.112919&spn=0.002719,0.006968&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=49.284645,-123.112919&panoid=B4cuAMFeDD4E0qYgp10EWQ&cbp=12,260.36,,0,0.42

The cars themselves are stored in the car park another half block up Seymour

As for getting back to the airport, yes, enter Waterfront station at roughly where Seymour joins Cordova, and there are elevators down to platform level. When you enter, buy your tickets from one of the machines in the centre of the station, and the Canada Line platforms entrances are to the left of where you walk into the station. The trains are roll on roll off, no problem on a scooter.

Thanks so much! Saving your directions. Is the train I want called Canada Line?

Out of curiosity I phoned the Seymour St. office of Thrifty to see if they offered a shuttle to and from Canada Place. They do not have a shuttle but the will pay a cab fare up to $7 (in the form of a credit to your account) so if you wish the 2 of you renting the cars could grab a cab over to the location and leave the other 4 waiting with your luggage..then come back and pick them up. Alternatively the 2 of you could walk over and leave the 4 back looking after the luggage. Either way you it would save you schlepping your luggage around and may save the person on the scooter a little trouble. Before dropping the cars off you could drop the passengers and luggage off in front of Waterfront Station and the return the cars.

Wow, Putterdude! Why didn't I think of these ideas! Saves a lot of walking for sure. I really like the cab to the Thrifty especially if it's a rainy day. I think it's a 10 minute walk or so. They would pay for two cabs. Maybe all of us could cab over to Thrifty.......

Thank you!

Judy

You may have a short wait for a cab(s) depending upon when you get off the ship but with a person in a scooter you will get moved to the front of the line. I would describe the walk over to the Thrifty location as under 10 mins if that is what you choose to do. My DW has MS and travels in a wheelchair so I am acutely conscious of people with disabilities and having to deal with luggage so try to keep things as simple and easy as possible.

I really appreciate the call you made to Thrifty. This option will help us decide what to do the day we disembark. I read and posted on your thread at the disabled board. You started a thread about Rome hotels.

Yes, it's really important to keep everything simple especially when we're traveling by ourselves. This trip is with our kids and grandkids so we'll have lots of help.

Thank you for all your help. Hope I can help you with your travels some day!

Judy

Archived