Norwegian Fjords shore excursion queries

hollihedge

Hi

We are travelling to the Norwegian Fjords on QM2 on 13 July. I have a couple of questions regarding shore excursions as my Mum is in a wheelchair (collapsible chair) and can only walk a tiny amount. Cunard have provided conflicting responses to my questions so would value any advice!

My questions are:

1) Geiranger is a tender port. I was informed it was "not advisable" for Mum to go ashore, even though she can walk a tiny bit, due to the difficulties of getting the wheelchair on the tender and off at the other end - any advice?

2) We would all dearly love to go on an excursion called "Sights and sounds of Bergen". This involves a trip to Grieg's house and a recital. Cunard state there is a 30 minutes of walking and gravel terrain. Would it be possible to wheel my Mum in a wheelchair on this excursion.

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards,

Gill

Hi

We are travelling to the Norwegian Fjords on QM2 on 13 July. I have a couple of questions regarding shore excursions as my Mum is in a wheelchair (collapsible chair) and can only walk a tiny amount. Cunard have provided conflicting responses to my questions so would value any advice!

My questions are:

1) Geiranger is a tender port. I was informed it was "not advisable" for Mum to go ashore, even though she can walk a tiny bit, due to the difficulties of getting the wheelchair on the tender and off at the other end - any advice?

2) We would all dearly love to go on an excursion called "Sights and sounds of Bergen". This involves a trip to Grieg's house and a recital. Cunard state there is a 30 minutes of walking and gravel terrain. Would it be possible to wheel my Mum in a wheelchair on this excursion.

Regards,

Gill

I think that as Geraingerfjord is a very sheltered port there is very little wave action so provided your mother can step from the ship into the tender she would be fine. There is assistance from crew members there to steady her. Re Bergen, I can't see that a wheelchair wheeling along would be a problem, maybe there are steps into various places but if she can negotiate them it should be ok, if she can't then she might just miss out on that portion of the tour.

Hi

My questions are:

Regards,

Gill

You may also like to read this from Cunard Website

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/Wheelchair_tender

I'm a wheelchair user who can walk a bit. We've done the fjords twice (on QV and QE) and I think you will thoroughly enjoy it.

I've not looked at your itinerary but Geraingerfjord and Andlesnas are tender ports, as well as Flam if you are the second ship in port that day.

Cunard seem to have very conficting information about tendering, but speak to the tours desk, make sure they are aware of things and so long as your mum can take the step on to the tender, with someone providing support she will be okay and the chair can follow. I always avoid booking tours at tender ports in case things are rough and I can't get off, but as the Cap'n says, your chances of a problem are slim

I can't comment on the Bergen tour but it's the second largest city in Norway so there is plenty do. Berthing is now closer to the town so there is no need for a shuttle bus and my personal recommendation would be to take the funicular railway for the view from the top over the town. Disabled access is excellent but get there early because quite a queue builds by about 10am. The fish market is super if you like that sort of thing (I do).

Stavanger is also very accessible and if you want the ferry tour to Pulpit Rock just wheel 50 yards down the quay and straight on to the ferry at half the price of the official excursion.

Ditto for the Flamsbana railway if you go there. They tell you it doesn't take wheelchairs but there is actually a ramp at the rear of the train. If you don't do the train I'd recommend a bus tour up the mountains, the scenery is truly spectacular.

I don't know if you are going to Tromso. When we went it was wet, miserable and closed for the bank holiday. The tour was a waste of time and money but maybe you will be more lucky.

Olden, just walk off the ship and get on the little "noddy" train. You can stow the wheelchair. If you feel more adventurous, there are two guys on the quay offering helicopter flights over the glacier.

Alesund is worth the ship's tour. We enjoyed the one which included the aquarium which is wheelchair friendly. Alternatively, take the "noddy" train to the viewing point at the top of the mountain - I think you can stow a wheelchair but check. You can wheel around town and take a look at the architecture but the provision of drop kerbs was very sporadic and last time I was cursing by the time I was heading back to the ship. If you are pushing your mum it won't be so much of a frustration.

If you search in the reviews for my name, there is a short essay about our 14 day voyage this time last year.

I hope this helps.

p.s The Cunard disabled help people in Southampton can be a very variable and sometimes frustrating bunch, but if you persevere you will get there. More importantly, speak to the tours desk on board. There won't be a special co-ordinator which is poor, considering the age and infirmity profile of the passengers, but nevertheless they will sort it out for you.

hollihedge, I really hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread a little, but we're also on the same cruise & didn't really want to start another thread for a question about the same voyage!

If we don't book any excursions, can we still go in the tender to go ashore and have a mooch around?

hollihedge, I really hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread a little, but we're also on the same cruise & didn't really want to start another thread for a question about the same voyage!

If we don't book any excursions, can we still go in the tender to go ashore and have a mooch around?

Yes

No problem JollyJackTar52. We have had our e-tickets but as we got guarantee fares we have not yet been assigned our cabin numbers. We will be happy wherever we are as she is such a beautiful ship!

Archived