"Never again in the Haven"

Nalagh

A Norwegian rep responded earlier in this thread that they are working on the issue.

Its sad beyond sad that these passengers were forced to endure such unnecessary problems, but I like to believe that these occurrences are the exception and not the rule. Should you run into similar issues during your Haven stay, I suggest first going to the concierge and if as this poster said they got no satisfaction from that route, I'd take advantage of those business cards that the officers hand out during the meet and mingle and call the Hotel Director or something. People have been removed from ships for less than what these hoo-has pulled and why that didn't happen in this case is beyond me.

The insensitivity of the few should not be permitted to impair the enjoyment of the rest. I'm not a hard-azz, but let me tell you, there is no way on God's green earth that I would allow my investment into a once in a lifetime experience to be spoiled by people with no regard for themselves, much less others. I'd call Corporate ship-to-shore if it came down to it.

Truth is that I have every faith your Haven experience will not reflect these unfortunate sailings. Enjoy your vacation!

hoo-has!! LOL!! You're the best - you literally made me laugh out loud! :D

Oh my! OK...let me take a deep breath....

I'm booked in a Haven suite on the Breakaway sailing in less than a month along with two other Haven cabins traveling with us. I am way beyond final payment but now I'm actually afraid of the Haven!! I couldn't even imagine such a feeling when I booked over a year ago.

I can't even put into words how completely and utterly disappointed I will be if my "once in a lifetime" vacation with my 3 kids (ages 16, 18 and 20) and my brother and his 2 kids (ages 12 and 16) is ruined by others' nonsense in the Haven.

I saved $ like crazy to make this vacation possible....

I can only hope that what NCL has promoted in their advertising with the Haven will come somewhat close to what we experience.

I agree that we cannot expect no kids or no noise....but if we are prevented from even using the Haven then that's just not worth the very high price paid for a combined DOS and connecting penthouse suite and a courtyard penthouse. :confused:

We too, have saved forever for our cruise of a lifetime. My DH myself And my two children are also cruising next month. I booked in October 2011, and making this cruise special for my family has been my goal. I don't believe we will be able to experience the "suite life" again for a very long time, if ever. My family do not even know we are in the haven. I'm surprising them. And I see now, that they may have one hell of a surprise. Lol.

I am keeping a positive attitude. I need too, in order to keep my sanity and not cry. :). I do believe the haven is sold out on my cruise. There were no suites available when I checked last.

Have a great cruise and hope for the best. :).

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

That's just the thing, and where NCL needs address this problem -- in the pocketbook. Two full fare, the other four @ $499. Once you divide it out by six, it looks like a bargain, and is.

But that is precisely why NCL won't address the problem by limiting the number of adults in a cabin... more pax = more $$$ for NCL.

I don't think I can list prices here, but for our suite of four, two adults and two children, I paid a lot more for each child than 499. Not as much as the adult fare, but nowhere near 499. I do see what your saying. It is less than full fare and if it is separate family's or friends, it would appear as the deal of a lifetime. :)

I don't think I can list prices here, but for our suite of four, two adults and two children, I paid a lot more for each child than 499. Not as much as the adult fare, but nowhere near 499. I do see what your saying. It is less than full fare and if it is separate family's or friends, it would appear as the deal of a lifetime. :)

It also depends when you book...sometimes they even run "kids sail free" specials.

I will probably be flamed for saying this but when you have such a tiny pool and relatively small area and groups or people have access with children of all ages, this is going to happen. Of course I would be upset. We did not use the courtyard area on Epic the 2 sailings we did. We found the pool area just as croweded as the main pool area. When school was out, both hot tubs looked like spring break. Childen using the hot tubs to snorkel in. But they paid just as much as me to use the facilities so I tell myself, I have no right to complain. Humans can get territorial about parking spaces, lounge chairs and yes even the small Haven area. I just dont see how you allow children into a small area and expect them not to be children, especially while on vacation.

I dont see the solution of the concierge playing lifeguard or having Haven police yell at everyone. I fault NCL in a different way. The area should be larger and there should be separate areas for adults and children. On these new NCL ships, they bulild 62 to 75 suites with many suites holding 4-6 people. I see the Haven as a croweded place. IMO, NCL overplayed its hand with the popularity of the Haven. The Haven pool on Breakaway is the same size as the Haven pool on Jewel or Gem. But the Breakaway allows access to 20x the people. Does that make sense? That is why I tease and use the phrase "rich kid swimming pool" when I did my reviews of the Epic. That is the only people I ever saw swimming or snorkeling in the pool. And yes, they will splash and play just like a kid is supposed to do on vacation.

It also depends when you book...sometimes they even run "kids sail free" specials.

Thank you. Your right. I can safely assume that cruising mid July, there were not any promotions. :)

Thank you. Your right. I can safely assume that cruising mid July, there were not any promotions. :)

That's not safe to assume at all. NCL runs their promotions "whenever", and while the sale might have been in (let's say) March, it was applicable to book any sailing in (let's say) the next 12 months. So anyone can book during the sale for any sailing coming up, including school breaks, etc.

Robin

I also want to address the differences in the new ships vs older ships Havens. On the Jewel-class ships, the Haven is TINY, and only available to relatively few cabins. On the Epic, Breakaway, and next, the Getaway, the Haven is MUCH larger, serving a LOT more cabins. We have found the Jewel-class Havens hit-or-miss as to tranquility, sometimes they are peaceful and quiet, other times they are more "family" oriented, depending on the demographic of the Haven guests. But on both our Epic and Breakaway sailings (both during times when kids are usually in school), the larger Haven was definitely more "family-style", with children using the area pretty much all the time. But the newer ships do offer an "adult's only" space if you wish to have tranquility, the older ships do not. Given the size of the Haven on the older ships, one boisterous group (adult or family) can completely change the entire dynamic of the Haven. On the newer ships, the larger space makes it easier for both to get a measure of what they are seeking. I hope this helps differentiate the two types of Haven for people who haven't sailed before.

Of course, any guests having to share any space with some of the examples on this thread (whether adult or family) is just plain ludicrous. In our small vacation town, our police force is all over groups such as this, enforcing laws that benefit everyone, resident and visitor alike. NCL really does need to set forth rules on such behavior and actively reinforce them, not take the low road and let their passengers handle it..

Robin

OMG - my mouth just fell open. I don't even know what to say. How can you have that much money to spend on a suite, and have absolutely no cooth or class?!! I just don't get it.

As one of the original posters here who has lived through this with Cherie (Nalagh)" MONEY DOES NOT BY CLASS" that is the sign that should be hanging everywhere.

I also believe that the Jewel Class Havens are very different situation from the Epic and Breakaway since there is so much more space in those Havens.

OMG - my mouth just fell open. I don't even know what to say. How can you have that much money to spend on a suite, and have absolutely no cooth or class?!! I just don't get it.

Having money does not necessarily equate to having class.

I will probably be flamed for saying this but when you have such a tiny pool and relatively small area and groups or people have access with children of all ages, this is going to happen. Of course I would be upset. We did not use the courtyard area on Epic the 2 sailings we did. We found the pool area just as croweded as the main pool area. When school was out, both hot tubs looked like spring break. Childen using the hot tubs to snorkel in. But they paid just as much as me to use the facilities so I tell myself, I have no right to complain. Humans can get territorial about parking spaces, lounge chairs and yes even the small Haven area. I just dont see how you allow children into a small area and expect them not to be children, especially while on vacation.

I dont see the solution of the concierge playing lifeguard or having Haven police yell at everyone. I fault NCL in a different way. The area should be larger and there should be separate areas for adults and children. On these new NCL ships, they bulild 62 to 75 suites with many suites holding 4-6 people. I see the Haven as a croweded place. IMO, NCL overplayed its hand with the popularity of the Haven. The Haven pool on Breakaway is the same size as the Haven pool on Jewel or Gem. But the Breakaway allows access to 20x the people. Does that make sense? That is why I tease and use the phrase "rich kid swimming pool" when I did my reviews of the Epic. That is the only people I ever saw swimming or snorkeling in the pool. And yes, they will splash and play just like a kid is supposed to do on vacation.

You are so right David kids are kids, playing, splashing etc. but being rude I don't think you can blame the children it's the parents :( and if they let their children away with this I can only assume they think its appropriate. To try and deal with a parent maybe I'm wrong but does rudeness not breed rudeness :confused: I myself have booked the Epic in a Haven suite for the 3rd time next year and personallly I'd rather put up with someone's children than the masses out on the main pool deck. The first year on the Epic there were some children in the courtyard which only from the safety issue was I bothered ie jumping from hot tub to pool. I left the area as I felt it was a train wreck waiting to happen. That said I found the Epic courtyard way to hot and this year I didn't even step foot into it and stayed up on Posh. This year while in the Haven gym twice a day I'd look out on the courtyard it was calm even though it was Canadian school break time I never saw any children.

I also want to address the differences in the new ships vs older ships Havens. On the Jewel-class ships, the Haven is TINY, and only available to relatively few cabins. On the Epic, Breakaway, and next, the Getaway, the Haven is MUCH larger, serving a LOT more cabins. We have found the Jewel-class Havens hit-or-miss as to tranquility, sometimes they are peaceful and quiet, other times they are more "family" oriented, depending on the demographic of the Haven guests. But on both our Epic and Breakaway sailings (both during times when kids are usually in school), the larger Haven was definitely more "family-style", with children using the area pretty much all the time. But the newer ships do offer an "adult's only" space if you wish to have tranquility, the older ships do not. Given the size of the Haven on the older ships, one boisterous group (adult or family) can completely change the entire dynamic of the Haven. On the newer ships, the larger space makes it easier for both to get a measure of what they are seeking. I hope this helps differentiate the two types of Haven for people who haven't sailed before.

Of course, any guests having to share any space with some of the examples on this thread (whether adult or family) is just plain ludicrous. In our small vacation town, our police force is all over groups such as this, enforcing laws that benefit everyone, resident and visitor alike. NCL really does need to set forth rules on such behavior and actively reinforce them, not take the low road and let their passengers handle it..

Robin

Thank you for this Robin. :)

But if the Haven is over run and we want to go to the vibe, don't we have to pay a boat load of money to get in there? I thought I read that it was offered to Haven guests for free on the Epic but not on the Breakaway. Is that correct?

But if the Haven is over run and we want to go to the vibe, don't we have to pay a boat load of money to get in there? I thought I read that it was offered to Haven guests for free on the Epic but not on the Breakaway. Is that correct?

That is correct. Vibe passes are $79 pp per week, above the cost of the suite. I believe this was a mistake on NCL's part, it should be included in Haven pricing, like the Epic. But on the Epic, they took the forward outdoor Haven sundeck and made it public space, so I suppose they couldn't take away Posh access too - at least the Breakaway(so far) has retained the Haven sundeck space. The main point is that at least it's available as quiet space for adults seeking such - the Jewel class ships offer no such respite.

The main problem I had with the Epic (didn't go to the Haven much at all on the Breakaway so I'm not sure) is that there were kids (from toddlers - in diapers, YUK! - to teens) at ALL hours, dawn til midnight, in both hot tubs, splashing, playing jumping, screaming, yelling, etc - so we were never able to use one for a relaxing soak. This could easily be solved by making one "adults only" and REINFORCING the rule. In Jewel class Havens, there is only the single tub, so perhaps if parents were a bit more understanding that perhaps adults would like to relax and soak, they could ask their kids to relinquish the space *once in a while*. Again, on one sailing, a single family (basically 2 unaccompanied children) were using the tub every single time we checked (or the tub was closed late at night) those children often were fully dressed, but filling the tub with their toys and splashing around sitting on the sides. We tried to use it once, but the kids were grabbing and throwing their toys back and forth from the pool, over our heads and into the water or other times hitting us, and it wasn't pleasant. The parents probably had no idea that their kids were doing this (I only saw the parents with them once, and once I saw their Dad come to collect them for dinner). Or perhaps they thought that since nobody was there, it was okay (instead of maybe thinking the opposite, that nobody was there BECAUSE the kids were doing this ). Either way, I was disappointed that we couldn't use the tub.. It's just a common sense understanding that sharing the space means everyone has to give and take, not monopolize the area, and that sometimes it can be boisterous space, but sometimes can it please be quiet space? Not many years ago, the Haven was tranquil, not silent, even with kids (as marketed), only recently have I noticed the balance shifting to more of a kids' "wild space".

Robin

You have the same cabin booked as I do (I think) - the aft-facing PH? I can see my husband not even wanting to leave that balcony LOL I would rather be around people and "the action" so to speak, but I guess we can always just utilize the balcony if the Haven is too overrun. Also, The Haven sun deck may be an option, too.

Robin, how was the Haven sun deck on the Breakaway? Was that a quieter place?

Lol, never used it, weather was awful most of the time, plus we had a Vibe cabana for the days it was nice. Looked nice and quiet, but no hot tub or anything, just a simple sundeck, so we used Vibe.

Robin

You have the same cabin booked as I do (I think) - the aft-facing PH? I can see my husband not even wanting to leave that balcony LOL I would rather be around people and "the action" so to speak, but I guess we can always just utilize the balcony if the Haven is too overrun. Also, The Haven sun deck may be an option, too.

I believe we do, deck 12? I switched for the enormous balcony which looks like DH could move the chair closet to the edge to be in the sun and I can be somewhat in the shade. I'm photosensitive so can't be in the sun.

Well thanks! I WISH I looked like Ricky Martin. I'd be shakin' my bon bon everywhere!

I went to Bermuda sans hubby last summer when he went to China. I didn't go solo as my son and two girls were with me. It was great!!! We're all going in August to Bahamas. Our first time in the Haven. Hope you enjoy both of your cruises!

That's not safe to assume at all. NCL runs their promotions "whenever", and while the sale might have been in (let's say) March, it was applicable to book any sailing in (let's say) the next 12 months. So anyone can book during the sale for any sailing coming up, including school breaks, etc.

Robin

Thank you Robin for the information. :)

I booked in October 2011, I believe. I am fairly new to cruising, only one before on the Jewel, so I appreciate all the info.

Thanks again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I believe we do, deck 12? I switched for the enormous balcony which looks like DH could move the chair closet to the edge to be in the sun and I can be somewhat in the shade. I'm photosensitive so can't be in the sun.

We (I should say *I* since it's a surprise for my husband) took the one on deck 11 because we will have 2 teens with us, and we can get out to the balcony from the bedroom in that cabin.

We (I should say *I* since it's a surprise for my husband) took the one on deck 11 because we will have 2 teens with us, and we can get out to the balcony from the bedroom in that cabin.

Do you think any of them have caught on or figured anything out yet? I hope not, but man! I would be struggling keeping it a secret. :)

Do you think any of them have caught on or figured anything out yet? I hope not, but man! I would be struggling keeping it a secret. :)

No - but my only saving grace is that I am the onle who usually does all of the planning. They just kinda go with the flow LOL

Archived