That ONE Picture........

gumballz

We just got back from Hawaii and one of my favorite pics is one a friend took of 2 window washers "framed" in her port hole. It is so cute! I regret not taking pictures of the food buffets.... I did take about 200 pictures w/my "good" digital camera and was very pleased with how they turned out. Another favorite was one I took of the luggage in the pier waiting to be claimed.

9/18/05 Pride of Aloha - Hawaii

That's a good idea to protect your cameras from the humidity. I haven't had any problems with my regular cameras, although I did put them in ziplock bags when we went to the beach. But I took my video camera this year, and it copped a major attitude. It kept pausing because of condensation. I had never had that happen before. And when it paused, it didn't clear up until the next day. Next year I won't bother taking it because I don't know how to prevent the problem. There were so many fun things I could have taped. It was disappointing to have brought the camera and get virtually no video.

I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions on how to clear up the condensation on the video camera because that has happened to me frequently and it really is disheartening when you think of all the great video you've missed out on!

• 3 weeks later...

Hands down favorite cruise picture was taken in Costa Maya--actually at the beach just down a little. We had our wonderful friends shmthaus and mrsshmthaus with us and had a blast. It is such a quaint little fishing village atmosphere. Hope we go there again since Cozumel is out of commission for a while. You can see our cruise pics with the link after my sig.

• 4 weeks later...
What's that one photo that you've taken on a cruise that you're SO glad you took.......OR.......the one photo you WISH you had taken but didn't?

I'm a nut when it comes to taking photos. I'm looking for any and all ideas so I don't regret not taking a photo of something when I get home. Thanks! :)

That is hard to say. :confused: I have taken in excess of 22,000 pictures on our various cruises. Nice thing about digital... just download them, donot have to print them all to see what came out. So I would say take them all and you will not have to regret not taking a specific one.

Ones I like best are the sunsets. Also the ones of both of us standing in front of a famous landmark......:D

• 1 month later...
I was going to just bring disposable cameras on our cruise because I don't want to lose our nice camera but I know our good camera will take such wonderful shots and it has a zoom. How safe is it to bring a nice camera as opposed to just using all disposables?

Just so long as you're careful with it, there shouldn't be any problem. I've taken 2 cameras with me and a brand new video and never had a problem. If you're taking a pic and have to lean overboard or any situation where you could lose it, put the strap around your wrist or neck. I took a couple great shots sitting in a mini bus in Grenada with the camera outside & above the bus.

Sometimes a favorite picture is a surprise. We were aboard the Jubilee a few years ago standing on the deck watching the water and the wind was blowing tremendously. My hair was being blown every which-a-way. Anyway, here comes the ship's photographer - LOL. Perfect timing. He snaps a picture of us on the deck and windblown. I laughed and told DH that would turn out to be the worse picture. It actually turned out to be one of the best pictures of the cruise. We always take our digital camera and I do take hundreds of pictures. I scrapbooked our last cruise and will probably scrapbook our next cruise, too. I took pictures of every nook and cranny of the Elation - our room, hallway, laundry room, internet cafe, library, etc. etc. you get the idea. Also took hundreds in each port. I had never scrapbooked before and it is not fancy but it turned out nicely. I got a lot of good tips on CC such as taking a manila envelope with a piece of cardboard in it for pictures. Large zip-lock bags to put souvenir stuff in, such as the Capers, napkins, etc. etc. I also took a picture of the menu posted outside the dining room each day. I know you are not supposed to take pictures of the shows in the lounge, but I turned the flash off and took pictures anyway. Turned out great. You have to hold the camera still or brace it somehow as it is like a time exposure. The nice thing with digital cameras is that you can take anything and everything then delete or don't use the ones you don't like. Like a previous poster, my DH loves to take sunsets and sunrises. On our last cruise, I have a sequence of about 4 pictures of the sun coming up. Really pretty. To get those four pictures I think I had about 15 to choose from - LOL. Take plenty of memory cards.

• 3 weeks later...

I always tease my DS and call her the Japanese tourist (no slight / slander intended) as she always has 3 or 4 cameras around her neck. One zooms, one takes clearer shots, one does something else, etc. etc. My BIL still can not work his video camera after 5 years, but we howl laughing at the # of feet shots we get (I'm just as guilty). One of our friends, left the video camera on when he went to the bathroom. Only saw feet, but was hilarious to "listen" to.

My mom passed away 3 years ago. For her 70th birthday (the year before she died), I went through all her pictures with her and re-arranged them all into a date sequence of sorts. Ultimately, I did an album of her life including each decade events, fashion, music, best sellers, and others that elude me at the moment. Pictures are such a wonderful life experience - I can't part with them. Now I have mom's 70th album thru the decades, but I've re-created it on CD so my family can view it like it's on a web site. Best gift I ever gave my family -- even added her favourite song "Somewhere over the Rainbow by Judy Garland". Makes me cry every time I hear it.

P.S. Happy Valentine's Day :)

One of my favs is of DW & I standing on the beach with the Disney Magic in the back ground that my daughter took. I take one pic a cruise and have it lamenated and they hang right above my computer.

Another one of these is a pic of DW & I on the bridge wing for a private sailaway with the Captain. He's not in the pic but we met him.

My very favorite picture was one taken in 1993 when my hubby and I were in Honduros with our friends. It was taken through a stone window and it over looked the hills and the beautiful ocean.., it looks like a piece of paradise through this beautiful ancient stone frame.

The main place I'm worried about is Coco Cay. We plan on snorkeling and it's just the two of us going. We're not real sure about leaving our nice camera on the beach while we do that. It will be with us at the other stops.

OK bring your best camera for the cruise. For this excursion, buy an underwater 1 time use camera. They take great pics where you don't need a flash. This way you can take beach and underwater pics too. Buy it at home, to save a few $$. Do this and you won't regret it, gaurenteed.

When eating at different restaurants, both in the USA and while on shore excursions, we like to take a picture of one of us holding the menu.

Then while we are at home and trying to remember where we ate while in (fill in the location) we can just look at the picture to know!

D.

Yes, take plenty of ship photos--helps bring back memories.

One unique photo I saw in a video actually--the person took a picture of their feet as the ocean came up--titled first step in the Caribbean! Unique!

My favorite--I somehow talked teen son into wearing the same shirt dad was, (I bought them ahead of time, kinda Hawaiian style) I have a picture of them back to back, arms crossed in front of the map in a main hallway of cruise ship--posed yet casual, and time stamps a rare moment for me.

Goofy shots: Yep it rained suddenly in elYunque rainforest--son and husband posing under giant leaves the size of umbrellas they picked up.

Also one with teen son & grandma --sometime in the future important people will no longer be with us-- a great memory again.

I also try and take a photo of a local sign identifying what island we are on--makes for good album page breaks.

Video: I often request a local man playing an intrument on pier, taxi driver etc to briefly say in native accent " welcome to ....." they often are pleased you asked, and ham it up. If it is a musician or my taxi man I often give a small tip for them. Makes for great video segments.

I second: Bring plenty of memory cards--

• 1 month later...

I didn't have any money - I was stressed (my first year as a teacher in a high power district) - a freind at lunch said she wanted her biggest decision on the upcoming vacation to be ..."should I take a dip in the pool or get a foo foo drink" .... that day after school I drove right to a travel agent and booked my first cruise - I didn't care which line or where it went - I went alone - most of my friends gave me "crap" about going alone, paying for it ....blah blah blah ....

I was on a private island - using a disposable camera - I stood between two palm trees - the ship was in the distance - clear blue sky - just a few clouds - beautiful carribean water - the breeze was just moving my shirt a bit - and my smile was perfect ... I will keep that picture forever - I don't know where I got the money to go - in some ways I dont know that I should have gone - but it was the best thing I had ever done for myself up until that time ....

I got back and realized that in fact I can take care of myself - I just needed a way to take care of myself without spending thousands of dollars ...:rolleyes:

Now about tens years later - my second cruise is in 2 weeks Spirit 4/9/06

I hope to get another snap shot of a great time

:) One of my favorite photo is of the old US Independents from atop of the Aloha Tower, what makes it fun is that 5 years later I took the same picture of the Pride of Aloha and you can really tell the size difference. (I'll try to post it later).

:( This is a photo I wish I bought, but when we were on the POA last year, there was a Prof. photo of the ship all light up at dock, it looked really cool. I'd tried it with my digital camera and didn't get the same effect. Hopefully they'll still have it when we go back next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
What's that one photo that you've taken on a cruise that you're SO glad you took.......OR.......the one photo you WISH you had taken but didn't?

I'm a nut when it comes to taking photos. I'm looking for any and all ideas so I don't regret not taking a photo of something when I get home. Thanks! :)

The night my DH proposed was right before the captains dinner and shortly thereafter we went to the diningroom to eat (all dressed up fancy,lol) and within 2 minutes a photographer came by and took out pic...still one of my favorites....

• 4 months later...

One of my favorite photos is of my friends and I in Hawaii on a beach. We were in a circle talking and one of my friends looked down and said "hey let me take a picture of our feet" I have it in a frame that is surrounded by sand and beach toys. A silly picture but fun!! So now when I'm in a group on a beach I make sure to take a picture of it! :D

I have a couple of favs.

1-DH was standing behind me with his arms wrapped around me. I had on a white dress very summery & hair was up. he had on a tropical print shirt. We were on the pool deck in a crowd of people when the ship photographer took the picutre. We were not even looking straight at the camera but the feeling of being happy & loved jumps out each time I look at it.

2- actually 3 pictures taken when we did the dolphin swim in cozumel. They took picture of dh, dd & I each as we were being pushed up out of the water by the dolphins. The looks of pure joy and fun on each face make them priceless. (we almost didn't wait to see the pics as we were cutting it close on getting back to the ship)

Thanks for this positive thread! Made me think about those pics. and many others! :)

Debbie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My favorite pics to take a sunset pictures. I also like to take pics of the ship as we are approaching it on a tender with family in the foreground. Also, I like the formal pics. I did not take but one on my first cruise and I came to regret it later. The next cruise I got lots of formals done. My favorites were in front of the grand stair case, the back drop that looked like you were on the deck of the ship at sunset and the picture of me at the grand piano.

Archived