That ONE Picture........

gumballz

On Castaway Cay (the Disney private island), there's a spot with a huge fish dangling a hotdog off of a fishing pole, and my husband and I are standing under the "bait". There's a sign off to the side giving the "stats" on the "catch" - things like "species: human", etc. Disney had their photographer set up there for most of the day, but DH and I asked a stranger to take our photo about 30 minutes before the ship sailed again. A little corny but fun!

• 2 months later...

These are 3 pictures we have from our camera that complete strangers walking by had offered to take (w/ the exception of the waterfall one, a tour guide did that one). We are so glad because they are some of our favorite pics!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/415306451_ca6b3795ea.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/415306404_3adbaf148c.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/415306356_006883594c.jpg

These are 3 pictures we have from our camera that complete strangers walking by had offered to take (w/ the exception of the waterfall one, a tour guide did that one). We are so glad because they are some of our favorite pics!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/415306451_ca6b3795ea.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/415306404_3adbaf148c.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/415306356_006883594c.jpg

Those are wonderful photos! I love the one of you crouching down by the life preserver - what a cute idea! Did you guys ask a stranger, or did they just offer?

Those are wonderful photos! I love the one of you crouching down by the life preserver - what a cute idea! Did you guys ask a stranger, or did they just offer?

Well, I had been wanting a picture of us next to that from the very beginning! We took one of us each standing by it and it happened to be on the smoking side of the ship. Some very older gentlemen was outside having a smoke (it was rather late, no one really around) and he saw us and offered to take a pic for us (or maybe I asked)... usually people were always so happy to take pictures for us! They would offer it before we even asked! We payed it forward and took many pictures for other couples as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to just bring disposable cameras on our cruise because I don't want to lose our nice camera but I know our good camera will take such wonderful shots and it has a zoom. How safe is it to bring a nice camera as opposed to just using all disposables?

The only time I have used disposables is in the water. Otherwise I have used my digital camera everywhere else including the beach, just not in the water. I have left my camera alone near the pool (in a bag) and it was never bothered. I was within eyesight and never saw anyone even go near it. Your nice camera should be fine.

One of my favorites is a picture of my sister and two of her kids on the deck of the Grandeur of the Seas as we headed out to the Bahamas. She is is kissing her daughter who appears to be trying to get away while her son is looking away as if to say OH MOM!!! (actually he was watching the ship go under the Bay Bridge)

laurel.jpg.eea3445c4416927796212d6f42027078.jpg

• 3 months later...

The ones in my sig are some of my faves from our cruises (except for the kitten of course :p) The one of the Tjibaou Cultural Centre isn't one I took though, but it's one I love nonetheless as my husband actually proposed to me there :D Each time I cruise I try to take a photo of a life ring showing the ship's name on it. If you can catch a sunset through the ring it's even better :) I regret not getting any decent photos of the marine life. I don't fancy snorkelling much so I always miss out on seeing 'Nemo' & taking his picture. I also never seem to get enough photos of myself on the holiday! They all seem to be of my husband enjoying himself but none of me! Next cruise, that's changing!

• 4 weeks later...

Some of my fav pics of our cruise last month -

DH & DD's frolicking in the water at Labadee with Freedom framed in the background - reminds me of what a great time we had! I was in the water with them, so the pic has a great angle to it - water then family then the WHOLE ship - priceless!

The natural pics of DD's and their new friends climbing the falls in Jamaica and then having a water fight at the top - total joy captured in their faces.

My youngest DD surfing on the Flowrider with that look of absolute concentration!

Pics of the waiter, asst. waiter and head waiter gathered around my DD's with their desserts - yummy!

I took some fun pics of the family snorkelling in Cozumel - me underneath the water looking up or over at them - so cute! Got some really good pics of the fish too. All water pics were taken with our new Nikon Optix W30 7.1 mp waterproof camera - worth it's weight in gold if you do a lot of water activities, used it in all of our ports - Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Labadee. Took GREAT pictures!

If you sail on a RCI ship, try taking pics of your feet/everyone's feet around the elevator carpet with the day of the week on it - fun to look back on!

Also my DH's favorite pic of all time - on Labadee just before the last tender back to the ship I took a photo of the large anchor leaning against the weathered wall (by the lunch area) with the beach, palm trees and water in the background - and absolutely no people around. Wow - just takes your breath away with memories of paradise found. DH made this into our screensaver ;) .

I will try to post it...but when we were in Cozumel there was a Rainbow that made a circle around the sun...it was really neat and unique for us...but then the excursion guy told us it happens all the time there:confused: anyways...it made for a really great pic

• 3 months later...
What's that one photo that you've taken on a cruise that you're SO glad you took.......OR.......the one photo you WISH you had taken but didn't?

I'm a nut when it comes to taking photos. I'm looking for any and all ideas so I don't regret not taking a photo of something when I get home. Thanks! :)

That's what I look forward to the most on vacations. I'm a photogrpaher so I alwasy have my camera with me! On my last cruise I took over 1800 pictures.

I love all kinds of angles and I'm alwasy looking for something different. My current avitar (flag) is from the Key West Cemetery. It's one of my favorites.

When you take photos, try to remember the rule of thirds. For example, instead of centering something, move the camera a little to the side so the subject is off center. I know it sounds strange, but it's the photography rule! :-)

Try experimenting with different angles, too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was taken by one of our tour guides while in Grand Caymen on the Stingray City tour (w/ Capt. Bryans Tours 5*****s!). It's a pic of my wife & 2 DDs and myself in the most clear blue water, a cool contrast w/the t yellow and blue snorkels and masks on the top of our heads. I had it blown up 2'x3' and mounted on a styrafoam board. It's a real treasure of the wonderful memories that day!

232323232%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3287%3E445%3E995%3EWSNRCG%3D3233863%3B36935nu0mrj

PS. Just found this thread, and I'm also one of the nutty people you might see aboard a ship taking hundreds of pics. Thanks to all of you for posting all the creative ideas! I'm going to try a few of them out on our upcoming cruise this March.

Yo Gum,

Thanks for the kind words. I know that photo isn't perfect by any means, for example...the many people in the back ground, and us holding the disposable underwater cameras, and maybe the shadows too , not sure where the sun was at that moment. But the pic did capture the true joy & wonder we all we were feeling that exact moment. I was beaming w/pride...my 3 girls were quite afraid of getting in the water with the sting rays, (espically the HUGE females) but tried it & found them to be such gentle creatures...their boddies smooth as silk & their swimming so graceful. We all ended up having one of the greatest experiences in our lifetime.

I like your B&W photos in your signature. Espically the one that shows your legs/feet & the ocean. We have to try a few like that this next trip. Also the avaitor pic w/the heart shaped cloud covering up the sun is very cool. Before we got digital cameras I used to buy a roll of B&W film every now & then just to try something different.

What things turned out really well for you when taking B&W pics on your cruise? Any tips you might be able to share regarding black & white photos? This cruise I will try out the B& W option on our new digital camera

Thanks,

Dawg

The one photo that I so regret not having was in Tortola. We had just stepped off the beautiful Noordam, on our way to our Virgin Gorda Baths shore excursion, and docked immediately next to us was the sister-ship Zuiderdam. Our starboard side to the Zuiderdam's port side. It was like walking through a deep and resonating canyon! And as we walked the length of the pier and turned to look back...the image was outstanding...these 2 enormous & beautiful ships, mirror images of each other, regal in the sunlight! The image was breathtaking.

I only had my underwater camera with me and figured it wouldn't do the shot justice. I guess I should have tried anyway.

• 1 month later...

These pics were just taken in Barbados, http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562570049WbFoxR

And this one was in Cozumel. My youngest daughter did't have sunglasses so the lady photographer loaned her, hers,

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1064115370015312306esNxRS

Ok this is more than one, but, if I have to choose 1, ok I'll choose my kids, but the turtle was really COOL.

Weve been on many cruises but my 2 favorite were taken on our last cruise believe it or not!

1. It was a New Years Cruise and there is a picture of me in the middle ,ds & dd on each side of me up on the top deck, were still dressed up and there's confetti everywhere and we are huggy and smiling. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it. I don't know who took'it, some one grabbed the camers and shot the picture I will always cherish.

2. We are from San Diego and the Chargers were in the playoffs while on the cruise so we all took our Chargers jerseys. We wore them game day of course. But I told the kids if they had the all white backgound I wanted a pic of the 3 of us in our jerseys. They did and it is one of the best shots! we were sitting and dd laying infront and it's just a great casual photo of us.

I always love the pictures on the cruises!!

Happy Cruising~

Donna

2. We are from San Diego and the Chargers were in the playoffs while on the cruise so we all took our Chargers jerseys. We wore them game day of course. But I told the kids if they had the all white backgound I wanted a pic of the 3 of us in our jerseys. They did and it is one of the best shots! we were sitting and dd laying infront and it's just a great casual photo of us.

Gotta love our Chargers! :D

• 2 months later...
When eating at different restaurants, both in the USA and while on shore excursions, we like to take a picture of one of us holding the menu.

Then while we are at home and trying to remember where we ate while in (fill in the location) we can just look at the picture to know!

D.

What a great idea. I may just "borrow" this idea for in the future. Thanks for sharing. :D Travelgirl

Archived