Best Western French Quarter Landmark Hotel

marshhawk

I copied and pasted my reply about hotels on Rampart from another thread.

Personally, I grew up being taught by my parents (who grow up here as well as their parents) to avoid Rampart Street (a popular theater borders Rampart but they offer guarded and gated parking (with armed policemen) , of which we use. For me, it is a bit too close for comfort to the areas I would not dare go into. The French Quarter deteriorates as you head from Bourbon Street towards Rampart Street, and at Rampart and above, it's not good. Rampart has typically been sort of the dividing line between "okay & NOT safe", particularly after dark. Rampart really is not "in" the French Quarter but technically it is the border of it. One wrong turn and you could find yourself in a bad situation.

I much prefer (and usually park at when going to the French Quarter) hotels on Canal St that are closer to the River and hotels on Poydras close to the river. Some hotels that are in good locations are one like Hilton, The Westin Canal Place, Harrah's and the Marriot on Canal (You can use Google maps to see these locations). Also, the smaller hotels very much in the French Quarter around Jackson Square but not pass Bourbon. I understand these are the more expensive ones but these hotels can serve as a guide in regards to the better locations.

Also, all of these areas have more people in and around them and have businesses open very late, which makes them safer.

The reality is, pricing in and around New Orleans usually very much reflects location. If the price is lower or to good to be true, it probably isn't the best location.

It's the right price-is it a good location? Safe? Has any one stayed there?

I had looked at this hotel as well, but after reading what World Gallery had to say, I changed my mind and started looking else where. I found the Ramada Metairie for 111.20 per night. They have a free airport & cruise port shuttle as well as free parking for up to 14 days. I know that part wouldn't do you much good since you are using MegaBus, but it's still good info to know. All of the reviews of this place looked good and travel time to the port appears to be under 15 minutes.

I am rethinking this too. getting out of the french quarter, and staying at the Country Inn and Suites , actually closer to where we are dropped off. Closer to the port, and closer to the restuarants where we want to eat. Now if they just have available space.:o

Archived