Vision of the Seas

I've only ever travelled on Voyager or Freedom class ships as I like the large size and also the Royal Promenade.

Do you think I would like Vision of the Seas for 10 days as there's a 10 night British Isles cruise on next Tuesday's sale that I fancy doing in August.

Any view or opinions welcome.

I can't answer whether you personally would enjoy the Vision. Here is a link to a review I did last year about our experience sailing the Vision to the Baltics. It contains those things we loved as well as things we missed - but the things we missed were minor in comparison to our overall great experience so we ended up cruising on her again in December for a longer Southern Caribbean cruise. (However, we do tend to cruise more for the itinerary than the ship.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683807&highlight=vision

We were on the Vision for the first time in January. While we like smaller ships, I didn't like the layout of the Vision. Also the Centrum, Viking Crown Lounge and Windjammer had multi-level floors. You really had to watch where you were walking. I think some of these levels are going away during dry dock. I felt the ship was dark. Ceilings were low in many areas.

The food in the Windjammer wasn't as good as on the other ships.

After dry dock, I expect the Vision will be much improved.

We've been on Mariner and loved it and last month did the Vision transatlantic to Copenhagen. We liked it a lot, so open and airy, views from everywhere, even more so than Jewel. The crew were great too. Food was about the same as other trips in both Windjammer and MDR.

If I could find a decent airfare we'd be tempted to bring her back from Lisbon in October :)

My previous cruises have been Oasis x2, Allure, Liberty x2 and a short Grandeur cruise so I too love the big ships.

I just did 13 nights on the Rhapsody (sister ship) and honestly missed the Royal Promenade on the sea days we had. The itinerary of the Rhapsody Hawaii cruise wouldn't happen with one of the bigger ships so it was a compromise we were willing to make!

Sometimes the itinerary trumps the ship :) but I did miss people watching on the Royal Promenade not that there wasn't opportunities to do it on the Centrum ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only ever travelled on Voyager or Freedom class ships as I like the large size and also the Royal Promenade.

Do you think I would like Vision of the Seas for 10 days as there's a 10 night British Isles cruise on next Tuesday's sale that I fancy doing in August.

Any view or opinions welcome.

That looks like a great trip. Our first 14 cruises were Vision class ships. We loved every minute of them. Last summer we did three weeks on Vision and had a ball. Honestly it was the best three weeks ever! What the ship lacks in special stuff the crew makes up for in personality. Unless you pick it apart for sport I think you will love the 10 nights, not to mention the ports and how easy getting on and off the ship will be. We would go on any Vision class ship for any cruise and especially on the Vision. Great ship. Great crew! Nice selection of ports. What more could you ask for.

Of course it is always a choice. Your results are very much your own. :). I would do it in a heartbeat.

That looks like a great trip. Our first 14 cruises were Vision class ships. We loved every minute of them. Last summer we did three weeks on Vision and had a ball. Honestly it was the best three weeks ever! What the ship lacks in special stuff the crew makes up for in personality. Unless you pick it apart for sport I think you will love the 10 nights, not to mention the ports and how easy getting on and off the ship will be. We would go on any Vision class ship for any cruise and especially on the Vision. Great ship. Great crew! Nice selection of ports. What more could you ask for.

Of course it is always a choice. Your results are very much your own. :). I would do it in a heartbeat.

Can you tell me if there are any outdoor eating areas on the Vision? Glad to hear you enjoy that class so much!! Going for the 1st time nxt May.. :)

Our experience on an 11 night southern Caribbean cruise on the Vision was one of our most favorite. The ship is nice and yes, does lack the amenities and open guest areas, but what it lacks in those spaces it makes up in the best staff we have ever had. Very personable, friendly, and genuine. From watching the Captain join in line dancing, the Hotel Director play water volleyball with the guests, and the service all around the ship, we never were greeted with anything but a smile. We did enjoy the evening cocktail hour in the Viking Crown as Diamond Plus and got to visit with the Captain and the other officers many times. If you want to feel a genuine personally welcome experience, try the Vision.

Can you tell me if there are any outdoor eating areas on the Vision? Glad to hear you enjoy that class so much!! Going for the 1st time nxt May.. :)

There are tables outside of the Windjammer (buffet) at the front of the ship. Pizza,burgers, salads, and fries are served at the solarium at times announced in the compass.

I enjoyed a 15 night Panama Canal cruise on the Vision of the Seas in April.

I agree with the other correspondent that the staff were excellent; our waiters in the main dining room exceeded all expectations.

The ship is a little tired in places but that doesn't attract from its appeal. Vision of the Seas is due for a major refurbishment later this year and the makeover should include some of the features of a sister ship, Rhapsody of the Seas, that I cruised on last year.

The ship was very quiet at times during the Panama Canal cruise; in my opinion due to a mostly USA client base and different cultural backgrounds. The main contrast between my cruise last year (the majority of passengers being Australian) was in the lounges at night. The band was often playing to a near empty Centrum whereas last year the place was generally "jumping" with Australians and New Zealanders (mostly the same 50+ age group).

Maybe it will be different, again, on a cruise around Britain?

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Vision of the Seas. Have a good time away.

Paul in Australia

Archived