Nut free desserts?

We're sailing on the Splendor on July 20th and my son is allergic to all nuts and peanuts. I know we can bring packaged snacks like cookies for him, but are there any desserts that are nut free and peanut free for those with food allergies? We eat dinner in the MDR but plan to go to the steakhouse one night as well. I'm also curious about the soft serve ice cream on the deck and if there is anything at the chocolate buffet that he can safely eat. If not, I want to be prepared and bring some single packs of cookies he can eat and bring that to dinner for his dessert. I know he can have fruit but on vacation we do indulge more than at home and I want him to be comfortable but must keep him safe. Any info at all would be great!

I have a peanut allergy. I just got off the Elation and was able to have dessert each night in the main dining room. Be sure to let the maitre'd know your son has nut allergies on the day you board. You will be assigned a hostess who will come by your table each evening and let him choose his meal for the next night. You can also choose your meals for lunch in the dining room too.

If you want to eat at the buffet and have ANY question if their are nuts in something, ask. They will get one of the Chef's to come out and help you.

By the way, the soft served ice cream was no problem for me. As for the chocolate buffet, ask. They will gladly help you!!

DD is also allergic to peanuts and treenuts. Her reaction is relatively mild--only a bad rash.

When you get onboard go to the MDR and talk with the hostess or Maitre 'D. Every night a hostess will come around for the next night's order. If undecided order both items.

If your son is in the kid's clubs there is an allergy form to fill out. Rarely do the kids eat in the club, usually pizza. Most times when they eat dinner it is up in the buffet and they eat 'kid friendly' things like nuggets and fries in a dedicated buffet line just for them.

At the steakhouse there aren't many nuts. She got the chocolate sampler and the cookie was not put on.

She has never had a problem for breakfast in the MDR, though we haven't sailed on a ship with the Punchliner Brunch. She's also fine for the MDR lunch.

On the buffet rarely are there nuts in anything on the hot line. There are many desserts DD eats. If unsure we will ask if there are nuts in something or I will taste it. Only questionalble area is the cakes. The soft serve is nut free. Recently I have seen signs saying that things have nuts in them. As with all buffets be careful about cross contamination.

The deli has pesto, that might have nuts in it.

The few times we have done the chocolate buffet anything with nuts were very obviously 'nutty', like candied nuts.

If you order room service confirm no nuts. IIRC we got a dessert that was sprinkled with nuts.

For onshore we make allergy cards.

I also have a pretty bad peanut and tree nut allergy and on a recent trip on the Conquest noticed that the buffet dessert station had labels that indicated items with nuts (yay, awesome!). There will be plenty nut free single serving items. As usual, do be careful with any desserts they are slicing to order, they sometimes use a single water bath for the knives so if one of the desserts being sliced has nuts, there'll be cross contamination all over the place with your non-nut slice. I've never had a problem in the Main dining room, they are wonderfully aware and go out of their way to help.

We had the same experience on the Fascination as Chasin did. Went to the dining room upon arrival, we were assigned a hostess who came to the table each evening to choose next evenings meal. It was kind of fun to know a day early what was on the menu the next evening! Have fun!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm still trying to decide how many individually packaged snacks to bring for him. I'm leaning towards one per day of the cruise just in case for dessert after dinner. The rest of the day is not as big a deal since he usually has fruit after lunch anyway and he will be happy with that. His name is on a list already for his food allergies. And we will go straight to the MDR as soon as we board.

Anyone have the chocolate melting cake recently Even with nut allergies? If he could eat that it would make him very happy!

I had it with absolutely NO problem. Just let them know ahead of time.

Again, if you are having dinner in the MDR, he won't have a problem with desserts. If you are having dinner at the buffet, ask for help. They are great. I had the same experience in December on the Conquest.

Not sure what "list" you are referring to, unless it's a list for Camp Carnival. Other than that, they don't keep a list for food allergies. Maybe they used to, but they don't anymore. I was told that after speaking with their Special Needs Dept and my PVP. You stay on top of it and he will be fine and I know you will have a great cruise!!

I had it with absolutely NO problem. Just let them know ahead of time.

Again, if you are having dinner in the MDR, he won't have a problem with desserts. If you are having dinner at the buffet, ask for help. They are great. I had the same experience in December on the Conquest.

Not sure what "list" you are referring to, unless it's a list for Camp Carnival. Other than that, they don't keep a list for food allergies. Maybe they used to, but they don't anymore. I was told that after speaking with their Special Needs Dept and my PVP. You stay on top of it and he will be fine and I know you will have a great cruise!!

Thank you! When I called Carnival a couple of months ago to ask about how they handle allergies, they informed me that it was already noted under our booking number, and that they will have his name in the dining room listed with the allergies. They did also tell me to go right to the MDR when we embark. That is our first stop!

I'm glad there will be dessert options in the MDR. We will be eating dinner there every night except for one night we will go to the steakhouse. I will also speak to the hostess or Maitre d' about the punchliner brunch in the MDR since we like eating breakfast in there better than the busy buffet in the morning. Plus the boys sleep later on vacation so the brunch seems perfect for us.

Thank you! When I called Carnival a couple of months ago to ask about how they handle allergies, they informed me that it was already noted under our booking number, and that they will have his name in the dining room listed with the allergies. They did also tell me to go right to the MDR when we embark. That is our first stop!

I'm glad there will be dessert options in the MDR. We will be eating dinner there every night except for one night we will go to the steakhouse. I will also speak to the hostess or Maitre d' about the punchliner brunch in the MDR since we like eating breakfast in there better than the busy buffet in the morning. Plus the boys sleep later on vacation so the brunch seems perfect for us.

Your hostess can take care of the brunch too. My hostess on the Elation told me that there were no nuts at breakfast, but do check about the brunch.

They must handle kids allergies different than adults.... which would explain the different comments here on CC. Come back after your cruise and let us know if they do have his name in the dining room. We will be taking our #2 grandson next and he has a few allergies.

Have a great time!!

I just got off the liberty today. My son has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy. He ate dessert constantly! The carnival customer service did not make me feel very comfortable before we left, but it was completely opposite on board. My son stuck to the ice cream when we were out of the dining room. In the dining room, he ate lots of chocolate melting cake, creme brûlée, apple pie, grand mariner soufflé, ice cream, sherbet.... I would not and did not take any extra desserts or snacks on board for him and he did just great. The dining room staff went above and beyond what I thought they would do. The chefs even made him creme brûlée one day when he wanted that for dessert instead of what was offered. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have about our experience. It was fantastic!

Oh and the staff also took his order for the brunch the night before so that he would have a specially prepared meal without any doubts.

I've got a severe nut allergy. I contacted carnival before I sailed - I emailed the special needs email address.

When I boarded the ship, upon going to the MDR the Restaurant Hostess was actually looking for me believe it or not.

Again, as someone else had said, they would take my order the day before and certainly on the Carnival Magic and Carnival Breeze, they had the meal prepared separately in a nut free area.

Please please, don't think foods are safe - as lots of foods I had prepared, were a little different in one way or another. Foods you would think may be safe are not - such as Lasagne - or the glaze on the apple pie puff pastry.

Pizza at Pizza Pirate and Guys Burgers are fine - I didn't touch the toppings bar though.

I tried to avoid the Lida as much as possible. When I did eat here, I spoke to the chefs - these are identified with a red scarf around their neck. They were fantastic. They checked everything I wanted, and then prepared what I wanted before it got cross contaminated on the lido itself. So it came straight from the kitchen to me.

I can't speak high enough of the service I got onboard - just remember to speak to the right people to keep safe. Restaurant Hostess in the Main Dining Rooms - and the Cooks on the Lido. The Head waiters are also very knowledgeable about ingredients in what they serve.

By the end of the cruise I had total confidence in what I was being served. I don't often feel this way when I am eating anywhere where the food isn't prepared myself.

Anyone have the chocolate melting cake recently Even with nut allergies? If he could eat that it would make him very happy!

I'm a nut allergy suffer and had 9 portions of this on my 12 day cruise!! They were aware of my allergy in the MDR though - but this wasn't prepared especially for me.....

I just got off the liberty today. My son has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy. He ate dessert constantly! The carnival customer service did not make me feel very comfortable before we left, but it was completely opposite on board. My son stuck to the ice cream when we were out of the dining room. In the dining room, he ate lots of chocolate melting cake, creme brûlée, apple pie, grand mariner soufflé, ice cream, sherbet.... I would not and did not take any extra desserts or snacks on board for him and he did just great. The dining room staff went above and beyond what I thought they would do. The chefs even made him creme brûlée one day when he wanted that for dessert instead of what was offered. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have about our experience. It was fantastic!

Oh and the staff also took his order for the brunch the night before so that he would have a specially prepared meal without any doubts.

That's great news about the brunch! We plan to go there every sea day, as we enjoy breakfast in the MDR much better than the buffet anyway. My boys are very well behaved in restaurants (we even take them to fancier places here at home and get compliments on their behavior all the time!), and the buffet is much more hectic in the morning since one of us sits with one of our sons while the other goes to the buffet with one son, because we have to make sure we have a table. Then the other 2 people go get their breakfast. So we don't truly end up having breakfast together. It's much more relaxing for all of us to go to the MDR.

A couple of questions for you:

1. What were the hours of the brunch on your cruise? My kids tend to sleep until around 8 or 9am on sea days.

2. Were you able to order room service with your allergies? My boys would get a kick out of breakfast in bed, even if it's just cereal and fruit!

3. Did they have lunch available in the MDR upon embarkation, or only Lido?

I've got a severe nut allergy. I contacted carnival before I sailed - I emailed the special needs email address.

When I boarded the ship, upon going to the MDR the Restaurant Hostess was actually looking for me believe it or not.

Again, as someone else had said, they would take my order the day before and certainly on the Carnival Magic and Carnival Breeze, they had the meal prepared separately in a nut free area.

Please please, don't think foods are safe - as lots of foods I had prepared, were a little different in one way or another. Foods you would think may be safe are not - such as Lasagne - or the glaze on the apple pie puff pastry.

Pizza at Pizza Pirate and Guys Burgers are fine - I didn't touch the toppings bar though.

I tried to avoid the Lida as much as possible. When I did eat here, I spoke to the chefs - these are identified with a red scarf around their neck. They were fantastic. They checked everything I wanted, and then prepared what I wanted before it got cross contaminated on the lido itself. So it came straight from the kitchen to me.

I can't speak high enough of the service I got onboard - just remember to speak to the right people to keep safe. Restaurant Hostess in the Main Dining Rooms - and the Cooks on the Lido. The Head waiters are also very knowledgeable about ingredients in what they serve.

By the end of the cruise I had total confidence in what I was being served. I don't often feel this way when I am eating anywhere where the food isn't prepared myself.

This is great to know since some afternoons we are by the pool and it would be great for him to be able to have something from the grill or pizzeria. He loves burgers and he loves pizza so this would be perfect.

On our NCL cruise 2 years ago, we were at the pool one afternoon and they opened up a poolside buffet with just burgers, hot dogs, fries and toppings. I asked the chef about the food for his allergy (back then it was only shellfish...the nut allergy was discovered 6 months ago). The chef asked my son what he would like to eat and my son said a cheeseburger and french fries. The chef said he was more comfortable making it in the kitchen for him rather than giving it to him off the buffet. he asked me where we were sitting, and I pointed out the table where my parents were already eating their lunch, near the pool. A very short while later, he came out to our table with a beautiful plate of cheeseburger and fries for my son and he served him. My son couldn't have been happier! Good to know they are just as attentive on Carnival, because although I have been on Carnival, I do not have food allergies and I have not taken my kids on Carnival before.

Sorry, I have been so busy, I forgot to look at this webpage. Life is hard after a cruise :)

1. The Punchliner Brunch was in the dining room (on at sea days) from 9-1:30pm. Other days, the MDR was open for 2 hours. The times depend on when your ship arrives at port. I see 7:30-9:30 and 8-10 for 2 of the days.

2. We never did order room service. If they are going to have cereal and milk, then I would think it would be fine. You may mention it to the maitre d and see what they recommend.

3. Only on the Lido deck at embarkation. However, one of the 2 dining rooms will be open for reservations and questions. That is where we went first and they were able to guide us through what options we had on the Lido deck. My son was addicted to the Guys burgers. That was his meal of choice. They are also starting to put labels on the buffet tags when something has nuts in it. I am not a big fan of buffets with allergies, but we never had any problems with him feeling limited. In fact, it was quite the opposite.

I was aboard the Epic on my first cruise in August 2010 out of Miami. We had left at 4:00pm and by 8:00 pm that night were headed back to Miami. A 21 year old boy traveling with his family had eaten a chocolate chip cookie that contained nuts. Sadly, he passed away in the stateroom. I am very conscious of this as my 12 year old is allergic to nuts & tree nuts & we are cruising in August, so I will be sure to inform the Matre D of his allergies & carry the Epi pen with us.

Sorry, I have been so busy, I forgot to look at this webpage. Life is hard after a cruise :)

1. The Punchliner Brunch was in the dining room (on at sea days) from 9-1:30pm. Other days, the MDR was open for 2 hours. The times depend on when your ship arrives at port. I see 7:30-9:30 and 8-10 for 2 of the days.

2. We never did order room service. If they are going to have cereal and milk, then I would think it would be fine. You may mention it to the maitre d and see what they recommend.

3. Only on the Lido deck at embarkation. However, one of the 2 dining rooms will be open for reservations and questions. That is where we went first and they were able to guide us through what options we had on the Lido deck. My son was addicted to the Guys burgers. That was his meal of choice. They are also starting to put labels on the buffet tags when something has nuts in it. I am not a big fan of buffets with allergies, but we never had any problems with him feeling limited. In fact, it was quite the opposite.

Thanks so much for answering my questions! I was thinking the same thing about cereal and milk, and also yogurt from room service. I'll be sure to ask when we board. Glad the Lido was ok for your son. My son will probably want to stick with pizza or burgers so we should be fine. Again, I'll ask when we board.

I was aboard the Epic on my first cruise in August 2010 out of Miami. We had left at 4:00pm and by 8:00 pm that night were headed back to Miami. A 21 year old boy traveling with his family had eaten a chocolate chip cookie that contained nuts. Sadly, he passed away in the stateroom. I am very conscious of this as my 12 year old is allergic to nuts & tree nuts & we are cruising in August, so I will be sure to inform the Matre D of his allergies & carry the Epi pen with us.

This is so scary. This is what worries me everyday. Right now my son is only 8, but I worry more for when he gets older and has to be responsible for himself. That's why we educate him about the severity of this now. They need to know how serious food allergies really are. Some people disagree with me and my husband and they tell us just to let him be a kid and not to worry him but we completely disagree. I think they must know this from a young age. My son is cautious about his own allergies, and will not eat something if he is unsure. His little brother also looks out for him. And both my boys are still able to be normal, functioning and happy kids.

Archived