How late can you take the helicopter/glacier landing tour?

mcbrides

Anyone know if you can arrange for the helicopter glacier landing in the early evening? (Like after 5:00 pm) I know it should still be daylight (in May), but I was just curious if there are set times the helicopter companies stop flying out for the glacier landings.

I've contacted the companies directly, but thought I might get some immediate feedback from anyone with a personal experience while I wait for the return emails.

I'll post the replies when they come.

Thanks!

We just did a helicopter/glacier walkabout with Northstar Trekking last week. :D We were picked up at Red Dog Saloon at 5:30 pm and had to get to their base and suited up, so our flight did not begin until about an hour later. We left the ice after 8:00 PM with the sun still high in the sky. The days are a bit longer in June than in May, though, so it may be different for you.

You are talking about next year??? But yes glacier helicopter landings run round 5pm, as long as you have a late departure for your ship??? Always go with the vender's recommendation for timing. It's a 20 min shuttle to the airport from the Juneau docks.

Yes, I am talking about next year. I know it's far away, but we have narrowed down our cruise to two itineraries, and one of the deciding factors is time in port. We know there are certain things we want to do in the various ports, so the time factor is important! :) Also, I'm obsessive about planning--I think it's one of the most fun parts of the trip!

Thanks for your input.

Archived