Grave situation on the Danube

phoebecat

We were informed by our CD last evening that the Altenworth locks were impassable. Both the AMA Bella

Captain and our CD have been keeping us updated on a regular basis about changes and modifications to our itinerary. We were originally supposed to be on the AMA Certo but it was stuck on the other side of Budapest so we were switched to the AMA

Bella in Vilshofen. We are presently in Krems and Melk. Tomorrow we are going by bus to Vienna only about one hour's drive. If we stay in Vienna for lunch each person will receive 20 Euros and if we stay for dinner each person will receive 30 Euros or we have the option of returning to the ship. The AMA Bella crew has been and continues to be terrific! We are taking things in stride day to day. There are many visible signs of the flood damage along the Danube. The recovery is is proceeding as fast as possible but it is what it is. We are very satisfied with AMA!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Last June, we took the Uniworld, "Enchanting Danube", and we remember stopping in Linz, I believe, to take a bus to Salzburg. There was a building right next to where the buses pick you up, that had the name Fahrhaus on it, and had marked all the high water marks over the last 500 years. Did anyone see it this month, and did they have a mark for the recent flooding?

I tried to attach a picture, but it failed twice. If anyone has tips on attaching pix, let me know.

Last June, we took the Uniworld, "Enchanting Danube", and we remember stopping in Linz, I believe, to take a bus to Salzburg. There was a building right next to where the buses pick you up, that had the name Fahrhaus on it, and had marked all the high water marks over the last 500 years. Did anyone see it this month, and did they have a mark for the recent flooding?

I tried to attach a picture, but it failed twice. If anyone has tips on attaching pix, let me know.

Dont recall that in Linz but the Town Hall in Passau has the water level marks on it. The year 1501 was the previous high water mark at 12.2 metres. This year 2013 hit 12.89 m according to Passau website and ccer GMT " Ron".

Thanful Cruiser:

here are pics of town hall in Passau. The first one I have photoshopped to add the new line on the tower for the level the water reached this year 2013.

The other two pics show the actual water on the same water tower and the last one shows the damp line on the tower where the water got to.

IMG_0594.jpg.ec16228003efba5845a50d46efa8f90c.jpg

P1010626.jpg.b94307e966bd022d42c3ecbe0981b2ff.jpg

752978908_june9.jpg.82ca37d82c14dbc0521cd0976be06ce5.jpg

RAIN! FLOODS! 100,000 EVACUATED! HOMES DESTROYED! MAJOR HWY CLOSED!

The Danube? The Rhine? The Seine you ask?

No, today these are the headlines here in Canada!

...the province of Alberta to be exact. The downtown part of Calgary, home of the Calgary Stampede is a ghost town as it is under water. The site of the world reknown stampede due to start in two weeks is under many metres of water. The zoo has been evacuated.

The rains are here in BC too with the interior declared a state of emergency. Crazy weather.

Link to see video and pictures for those interested

http://globalnews.ca/calgary/

Has it caused any cancellations on the Canadian River Cruises? :D

I do hope everyone in Canada is safe.

We don't have river cruises like those we here on CC go on.Maybe small day trips but not the type we know.

Just spoke with friend who is in the travel industry and she's been on the phone since 4 am trying to make alternate arrangements for her customers who are stranded due to roads and bridges washed out.While they are safe, they are stranded.

In Alberta, there have been 2 deaths and 2 people missing so far. Here in BC, some flooding resulting in washed out roads, homes damaged, etc. We also live by a river but 'our' river is not affected at this time.

We don't have river cruises like those we here on CC go on.Maybe small day trips but not the type we know.

Just spoke with friend who is in the travel industry and she's been on the phone since 4 am trying to make alternate arrangements for her customers who are stranded due to roads and bridges washed out.While they are safe, they are stranded.

In Alberta, there have been 2 deaths and 2 people missing so far. Here in BC, some flooding resulting in washed out roads, homes damaged, etc. We also live by a river but 'our' river is not affected at this time.

My prayers that you all stay safe.

Terri

Hi

There is a Canadian company offering St. Lawrence river cruises--4 or 5 nights--depending on itinerary--Kingston to Ottawa or Montreal. Sorry, I don't recall their name.

Tom:)

Hi

There is a Canadian company offering St. Lawrence river cruises--4 or 5 nights--depending on itinerary--Kingston to Ottawa or Montreal. Sorry, I don't recall their name.

Tom:)

You are correct but that is in Eastern Canada. The floods are in Western Canada in BC and Alberta so the question I thought was how the current floods here would impact 'river cruises' ...they didn't because we don't have any river cruises here.

As an update: Downtown Calgary is still deserted as there is no power...likely not until Weds. The rains have abated and the clean up is starting. They are trying to get something in place so they can go ahead with the Calgary Stampede in 2 wks altho it will have to be modified.

Now that the Danube has apparently receded, are there any recent cruisers out there who can provide a review as to river accessibility, whether buses are required to transport river cruise passengers, if the towns that were inundated have returned to "tourist normal", and whether hotels are still necessary if river cruise passage is abandoned?

Our cruise company has been totally silent (Vantage) and that has been irritating.

They continue to pretend that nothing has happened along the Danube .

We have to assess our trip to begin July 18 in Prague .

Many thanks for this info.

Now that the Danube has apparently receded, are there any recent cruisers out there who can provide a review as to river accessibility, whether buses are required to transport river cruise passengers, if the towns that were inundated have returned to "tourist normal", and whether hotels are still necessary if river cruise passage is abandoned?

Our cruise company has been totally silent (Vantage) and that has been irritating.

They continue to pretend that nothing has happened along the Danube .

We have to assess our trip to begin July 18 in Prague .

Many thanks for this info.[/]

WANTED! a LIVE posts from ANY Europe River Cruise on ANY Company

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1869598

Or this last post by phoebecat. About her Vikings Romantic Danube between Nuremberg and Budapest, sailed 22 June

On board Viking Njord: taster of review to come

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38949112#post38949112

Appreciate your critical new "BOLO" thread.

It's an APB.... An All Points bulletin

You are welcome altho i dont know what BOLO is?!

Vantage is one company that has not posted here on CC during this crisis that I can recall.

uniworld, Viking, Tauck, AMA, Avalon and Scenic added" uodates" and many of them also had updated info on their website home page.

The best info IMHO came from fellow CCers in particular our four members on the ground in Germany who provided photos, updates, links and translations. Much more reliable than the companies in most cases.

I note you are new here in CC so did you know you can get instant email updates when new posts are added to a thread you might want to follow...in this case, the new one i mention about LIVE updates. To do got up to top right on the thread you want to follow and click on THREAD TOOLS then click on INSTANT EMAIL NOTIFICATION. You will get an email from CC when something new is added.

Our Scenic trip from Budapest to Amsterdam on July 1st is altered per email to my TA 2 days ago to a ship swap on day 3, I assume to avoid the lock.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The lock is open again, however they may have boats in the wrong position and need to Swap them around.

http://www.anyoverip.de/scenic/ shows where all of the Scenic boats are now and where they have been.

Which river cruise company altered your trip/itinerary?

Our Scenic trip from Budapest to Amsterdam on July 1st is altered per email to my TA 2 days ago to a ship swap on day 3, I assume to avoid the lock.

SCENIC is the name of the river cruise company.

Came thru the lock today with another cruise ship. We came from Linz thru to Vienna. There are a lot of ships here in Vienna. Kind of funny to see 3 ARosa ships rafted together. Their bows have big red lips holding red roses

Archived