Grave situation on the Danube

phoebecat

I have just read on the website of the company that run the excursion boats in Passau, that they will start a limited service today.

If this does happen then it is a very good sign of how things are progressing. BUT, the staring point will have to be below the suspension bridge, water is still to high to ass under it, passengers could get in the way of the clean up operation. We'll see.

http://www.donauschiffahrt.de/en/

Ron

The Danube level is now at 7.58 m, falling all the time.

About 3000 students are helping in the clean up. On the Facebook page "Passau raumt auf" - community, it's in German but just have a look at the photos. This was set up by the students. Passau inhabitants are so proud of their students they have been given the nickname "Our Treasure".

Ron

Thanks Ron...unbelievable how much MUD there is to be moved....by hand....to where? Those students are amazing and Passau has every right to be so proud of them.

Thought I'd share this website I found. Updates on flood emergency in Hungary.

http://www.thedaily.hu/category/updates-on-flood-emergency/

Read the ones about tourists hampering efforts

And Viking still wants us to come next weekend!

Well, if its bothering you that much, don't go!

A more sensible option would be to read the Viking updates where they say that as long as the clear up continues in places like Passau, they will not be taking any visitors there, and will instead put in a trip to Munich instead.

I think you will find the tourists gawping are those already in the area, and not the likes of us, shortly to be arriving, and well aware of the situation.

Agree phoebecat, if it's not "appropriate" say to have excursions in Regensburg, Passau, etc due to the damage and they take us on day trips to places like Munich not affected by the flooding, no problem. But it is most preferable to get to stay on the ship at night rather than being put into hotels. If I'd wanted a bus trip I'd have booked one at less than 1/2 the cost.

It appears that while the walkways from river boats to dry land are well under water, people seem not to be concerned and are collecting en masse on the sidewalks.

Interesting webcam..

http://www.camvista.com/watch-live-video/europe/hungary/budapest_live_webcam.html

The original one I posted shows blinking lights under the Chain bridge and along the banks on both sides...

Thought I'd share this website I found. Updates on flood emergency in Hungary.

http://www.thedaily.hu/category/updates-on-flood-emergency/

Read the ones about tourists hampering efforts

And Viking still wants us to come next weekend!

Seems likes the "Disaster Tourists" as they are being called, are the tourists driving to the area, and it is their cars that are causing a problem.

Unless Viking is planning on docking on the roadway, doubt having river boat passengers in the area is going to cause a problem.

Fran

The Danube level at 7.46, a rise of 6 cm ( 2 inches), it is expected to rise about 30 cm (1 foot) over the next few hours, current we are in the middle of a thunder storm and heavy rain is forecast for the next 24 hours. The rise in the Danube is not expected to be critical and should stay within it's course.

As can be seen from the following photos the Danube is now back in it's bed and no longer overflowing it's banks. The clean up has continued all weekend, the square in front of the town hall is now clean. The lowest part of the promenade is still under water which is being pumped either into the sewer system or back into the Danube. The sludge is trucked away to a landfill as it could contain heating oil or other dangerous substances.

Compare the following photos to those that I posted last week - a great improvement:

1st. Water Level sign on the town hall

2nd. Town hall square

3rd. Still some flooded areas

4th. German Army platoon on it's way back to their barracks.

Ron

a.jpg.b8580ffd7fd4312942281b48a09d0c7b.jpg

b.jpg.56d7498db55fae5fd534f279eb14eb23.jpg

c.jpg.658999fe724476c7906a008d6c7b684f.jpg

d.jpg.b3a8f70e697e6d8d612d1a5a298b76e0.jpg

The Danube level is now at 7.58 m, falling all the time.

About 3000 students are helping in the clean up. On the Facebook page "Passau raumt auf" - community, it's in German but just have a look at the photos. This was set up by the students. Passau inhabitants are so proud of their students they have been given the nickname "Our Treasure".

Ron

Wow! It is true that a picture is worth a thousand words. The devastation is unbelievable!

Thank goodness for the students and other volunteers who are working in the clean-up efforts. They certainly are a "treasure"!

Thanks, Ron, and others from the area for all of the updates.

Compare the following photos to those that I posted last week - a great improvement:

Ron

Thanks for the updates and photos Ron.

I did exactly that...compared your pics from last week to these as well as compared to my own pics I took end of this past Dec when i was there.

You've come a long way for sure no thanks to Mother Nature but mucho thanks to the all the hard working people helping with the clean up.

Ron,

Please describe the last photo. P1010651.jpg

Thanks

This is a landing pontoon used by the day excursion river boats. The securing lines were lengthened due to the flood waters, so that the pontoon could rise and fall with the water instead of it being dragged under water with the original lines. The flow of the Danube pushed the pontoon over the promenade, where it stayed even when the river level fell.

Ron

the Danube rose slight in the night but is now falling again, currently stand at 7.32 m.

The Passau Webcam is now operational again:

http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/de/Wetter-Passau/1470-Passau-Wetter.php

Ron

Hard to believe how dramatic the rise and the fall of the water can be unless you see the pics. Thanks for the continued updates.

Archived