Grave situation on the Danube

phoebecat

Bratislava is awaiting the flood wave coming down.

Germany is now done with the very worst of it, all the more so because the rain is letting up.

Passau now has a record-breaking flood, 12.20 Metres has been beaten easily, and although automatic data transmission from the sensors has now failed, authorities are sure the record flood from the year 1501 has been beaten. That make this a milennium-size flood.

Looking at aerial pictures, the streets across old town now look like canals connecting the Donau and the Inn. We were walking around there just weeks ago - it looks absolutely alien.

The good news: starting tonight, water levels are predicted to drop.

THANKS UKBayern for the update, it is helpful to hear from someone close to the situation.

My heart goes out to those people impacted by the floods.

I will continue to watch the news reports for the next 2 months before our first river cruise on the Danube.

Just got back from Passau, from an advantage point overlooking the city, it's like a ghost town. People are starting to be evacuated from the old town, electricity, water, gas have been turn off also no toilets working (maybe we should rename Passau into "Carnival Passau").

The original measuring equipment stopped working this morning at 12.20 m (can you guess work happened to the equipment - it got flooded), auxiliary measuring equipment has been installed and it now stand at 12.80 m. Through binoculars I could see and read the Watermark Table on the Town Hall that I posted in a previous message - there was nothing to read all the other markings were under water. The year 1501 has been beaten - so now we will have a new tourist attraction.

The high water mark is expected sometime this evening / tonight. More tomorrow.

Ron

Thanks, Ron, for the update. This information is helpful for us who are planning a river cruise soon.

I feel so sorry for those affected by the flooding and for the families who lost their loved ones.

Stay safe!

The webcam seems to be running and these pics look same water level as the pics Ron just posted.

http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/weather-Passau/1470-Passau-weather.php

Looks like the web-cam cut out around noon on Monday. But - this is certainly an interesting site. You can go back for 3 days, and click on various times --> and SEE how quickly the water rose in the town.

Very tragic...

I remember when we were there 4 years ago, our guide commented on past flooding. She said she remembered the last "big" flood - and how her Dad was involved with the rescue crews. They were taking people out by boat from upper windows!!!

She also thanked us for coming to see Passau. She indicated that tourism was a big part of the economy there. I would hope that the river boats put Passau back on the itinerary once it is safe to do so.... I would hate it if the people were hit with a decrease in tourist dollars, as well as trying to recoup from the flood.

Fran

Looks like the web-cam cut out around noon on Monday. But - this is certainly an interesting site. You can go back for 3 days, and click on various times --> and SEE how quickly the water rose in the town.

Very tragic...

I remember when we were there 4 years ago, our guide commented on past flooding. She said she remembered the last "big" flood - and how her Dad was involved with the rescue crews. They were taking people out by boat from upper windows!!!

She also thanked us for coming to see Passau. She indicated that tourism was a big part of the economy there. I would hope that the river boats put Passau back on the itinerary once it is safe to do so.... I would hate it if the people were hit with a decrease in tourist dollars, as well as trying to recoup from the flood.

Fran

I posted that link on two of these threads and forgot to comment that yes, the webcam did atop working. To see the slideshow of rising water was amazing...in an awful sort of way.

I share your thoughts about Passau as i was there this past Dec and loved the town.

Hello from Passau, currently it is overcast and 8°C BUT it is not raining.

The Danube level has fallen overnight, at 7:00 am this morning it stood at 11.95 m, forecast are

10:00 1150 - 1175 m,

12:00 1110 - 1140 m,

15:00 1045 - 1090 m,

18:00 1005 - 1055 m,

Up stream from Passau, towns are reporting increase in water levels, hopefully there is not another surge on it's way.

Tomorrow the weather forecast (if you can believe it) says sunny with a temperature of 20° C - so keep your fingers crossed.

On a more lighter note, last night it was rumoured that free beer was being delivered door to door (could be as Passau with 50000 inhabitants has four breweries). In fact beer tanker trucks (for delivery beer to the bottling plants) were being used to deliver drinking water to those areas where the piped water had been turned off. Also being used are the police monster water cannon trucks normally used to disperse crowds.

Ron

1_bild.jpg.e34b4505b9768171aac65d962a063a5d.jpg

Official peak level for Passau (according to the city website) was 12,89 metres, yesterday evening.

Water level in Passau is dropping, 11,80 (as of 8 AM local) and expected at 10,80 before evening. (so that concurs with Ron's prediction table)

1200 people from the emergency services and military are currently involved and starting cleanup.

state roads B 8 and B 85 have been re-opened for traffic

Latest Danube level at 12:00 was 11.25 m, the level forecast has be revised (upwards) but the levels are still expected to fall (just not so quick).

Even those cruisers who are being bussed to their next destination could also now be affected, the Autobahn between Passau and Regensburg (A3) has been completely closed in both directions at Deggendorf (precautionary measure) as an embankment on the Danube looks like it could give way at anytime.

The following photo shows the current situation in Passau's old town, the suspension bridge in the background is the infamous bridge where if the Danube rises just a little then ships cannot pass under it. This time the bridge is not to blame for cancellations.

Ron

a2.jpg.37ab394c95ad5543cf38d6dd35df6d87.jpg

Many thanks Ron, ukbayern and ingo-o for your on location reporting with charts, links and your photos Ron.

All of us here on CC who have been to Passau and other ports on the danube share in your country's disaster albeit from thousands of kilometres away. Somehow hearing things in your words helps bridge the gap and fills in the void of information that our news coverage misses out.

Heres hoping sunnier and drier days are soon to come.

Danube level now at 10.85 m (14:00) in Passau, so the level has receded 2 m in the last 14 hours, so 2 down and 6 to go.

Tomorrow, the weather is expected to be sunny and 20° C, which bring the next problem with it. The Danube has left behind inches of mud and sludge, this has to be removed before it dries out and sets as hard as a rock. Passau's town council have already set up large garbage containers at various point around the stricken area, soldiers and many volunteers are cleaning up the streets and helping property owners clean up. Everyone is helping each other where they can, a great camaraderie atmosphere.

Now waiting notification as too when we can get to DD apartment, we have borrowed 2 dryers and 2 de-humidifiers but of course the electricity needs to be restored. Wondering what our eyes will be greeted with. DD will be staying with us for the time being, could have been worse - could have been dear MIL staying with us.

Ron

a1.jpg.372cf61edcc3aa9b0437a5e958106726.jpg

Danube level now at 10.85 m (14:00) in Passau, so the level has receded 2 m in the last 14 hours, so 2 down and 6 to go.

Tomorrow, the weather is expected to be sunny and 20° C, which bring the next problem with it. The Danube has left behind inches of mud and sludge, this has to be removed before it dries out and sets as hard as a rock. Passau's town council have already set up large garbage containers at various point around the stricken area, soldiers and many volunteers are cleaning up the streets and helping property owners clean up. Everyone is helping each other where they can, a great camaraderie atmosphere.

Now waiting notification as too when we can get to DD apartment, we have borrowed 2 dryers and 2 de-humidifiers but of course the electricity needs to be restored. Wondering what our eyes will be greeted with. DD will be staying with us for the time being, could have been worse - could have been dear MIL staying with us.

Ron

Thanks so much for the updates. Glad you can still find the "bright side" re: MIL. :)

Thanks so much for the updates. Glad you can still find the "bright side" re: MIL. :)

It's no good crying and being full of self pity, it's happened and we have to get on and back to normal asap.

The comment about dear MIL was only a joke **

Ron

** Have to say that in case MIL is a CC member, she can't read such a small font.

Today in Passau, we have sunny warm weather and 21° C, where the water has receded the clean up is in full swing. The Danube level is stagnant at 10.05 m foe the last 12 hours and are forecast to remain so for the next 6 hours.

Once the Danube has it's normal water level (4.50 - 480 m in Passau), movement down stream towards Linz, Melk, Vienna and Budapest should be OK. The problem will be up stream towards Regensburg where the Danube has burst it's banks and other embankments are so water logged that they could go anytime, here the river could be closed or traffic restricted until repairs are made.

When I was in Passau yesterday evening it was like a war zone, sludge and rubbish everywhere. The first photo shows German soldiers using snow shovels to remove the mud, second and third photos shows Passau and GIs from 261st US Infantry Regiment shortly after they liberated Passau in early May 1945. Not a lot of difference.

Ron

a7.jpg.7de1d7a18cf05c8d48aca4fb616b301c.jpg

s8-007sm.jpg.1e6e1db1a4de19341027918c0e5b544b.jpg

s8-033sm.jpg.14c7f1dea2e3dd13a7861cd6346190ec.jpg

Today in Passau, we have sunny warm weather and 21° C, where the water has receded the clean up is in full swing. The Danube level is stagnant at 10.05 m foe the last 12 hours and are forecast to remain so for the next 6 hours.

Once the Danube has it's normal water level (4.50 - 480 m in Passau), movement down stream towards Linz, Melk, Vienna and Budapest should be OK. The problem will be up stream towards Regensburg where the Danube has burst it's banks and other embankments are so water logged that they could go anytime, here the river could be closed or traffic restricted until repairs are made.

When I was in Passau yesterday evening it was like a war zone, sludge and rubbish everywhere. The first photo shows German soldiers using snow shovels to remove the mud, second and third photos shows Passau and GIs from 261st US Infantry Regiment shortly after they liberated Passau in early May 1945. Not a lot of difference.

Ron

You read my mind...as I was looking at the first photo (looked at pics before I read your post) I thought OMG it looks like WWII...

So it seems like things altho better are still stagnant at Passau and therefore up further may still be iffy.

There are conflicting posts on CC about some cruise lines cancelling some cruises and others like AMA posting boat by boat that they are going ahead with what looks to be a few minor changes such as one nite in a hotel to start with.

I know the tourist dollars are needed but not sure if I lived there if I would welcome looky loos snapping pics of my country, my city, my house damaged by this flood of the millenium. If the banks are unstable, would the boats be even able to dock...I'm thinking of Melk where we docked below the city by a gravel road (which was underwater in a video I saw yesterday).

Ron, your personal thoughts?

I know the tourist dollars are needed but not sure if I lived there if I would welcome looky loos snapping pics of my country, my city, my house damaged by this flood of the millenium. If the banks are unstable, would the boats be even able to dock...I'm thinking of Melk where we docked below the city by a gravel road (which was underwater in a video I saw yesterday).

Ron, your personal thoughts?

Current level of the Danube in Passau is 9.79 m, DD got off very lightly only a couple of slightly damp carpets which are drying in the sun. As the water subsides then an army of volunteers start the clean up, Passau University has been closed and many of the 10000 students are helping in the clean up. Firemen from as far as 300 Km with their vehicles are also helping.

In one small area I saw three police water cannons in operation, normally they are used to disperse crowds now they are being used to disperse the mud.

Passau will welcome the tourists, as always - after all it is a major economic factor here. As for people taking photos, JUST CARRY ON AS BEFORE, we are used to cameras, after all Passau is a picturesque town.

The major attraction in Passau (besides myself :rolleyes:) is the Cathedral with it's church organ, it was well above the high water mark and is functioning as normal.

The mooring docks are still under several feet of water, once the water has receded what the Danube has deposited on them will first have to be removed and then inspected for any possible damage, although I have to say thy are massively built - mostly of granite.

I'll post some photos shortly, that I took this morning.

Ron

Thanks for the latest update Ron. Glad to hear DD's damage was not too severe. Please keep the updates coming as this thread is the only way to get the latest info on water levels and recovery progress and there are lots of anxious cruisers out there.

My thanks also for your timely reports and my best wishes to those most directly affected by the flooding. I will be actively watching this thread for the next several weeks as our Viking cruise from Budapest to Passau begins on July 13.

Are there any forecasts as to when shipping will resume on the Danube?

I personally think it will be some time, as a lot of the dykes along the Danube are soaking wet and can not hold the water anymore. Near Deggendorf whole villages are completely under water, with just the chimney sticking out. As long as the water levels have not gone down and emergency repairs made to the water defenses, shipping will not be resumed on this part of the Danube.

Thanks, Ron, for the very informative updates. Are there any forecasts as to when shipping will resume on the Danube?

No one (in their right mind) is making any forecasts at present, the only predictions that have proved accurate are the water level forecasts and they are only for 10 hours in the future. The Danube is dropping by about an inch per hour.

Even when the Danube is back to normal it does not necessarily mean that traffic will be allowed to move. Once the place has been cleaned up then it will be the turn for structural engineers to give on the green light on the infrastructure (mooring berths, locks, bridges, dykes etc.).

My own personal view is that the Danube (above Regensburg), Rhine Main Danube canal and the Main will quickly return to normal, just as the Rhine, Moselle and lower Main are almost back to normality. Down stream from Passau (Vienna, Budapest), should be back once the Danube is back in it's course. The problem stretch will be from Passau to Regensburg and as UKBayern (hi Neighbour) said in a previous message the acute problem will be around Deggendorf. The damage cannot be assessed until the waters have receded.

Maybe cruises cold be split into two parts to/from Nuremburg/Regensburg - to/from Passau. Nuremburg is 2 1/2 hour bus drive and Regensburg is 1 1/4 hour away.

Ron

No one (in their right mind) is making any forecasts at present, the only predictions that have proved accurate are the water level forecasts and they are only for 10 hours in the future. The Danube is dropping by about an inch per hour.

Even when the Danube is back to normal it does not necessarily mean that traffic will be allowed to move. Once the place has been cleaned up then it will be the turn for structural engineers to give on the green light on the infrastructure (mooring berths, locks, bridges, dykes etc.).

My own personal view is that the Danube (above Regensburg), Rhine Main Danube canal and the Main will quickly return to normal, just as the Rhine, Moselle and lower Main are almost back to normality. Down stream from Passau (Vienna, Budapest), should be back once the Danube is back in it's course. The problem stretch will be from Passau to Regensburg and as UKBayern (hi Neighbour) said in a previous message the acute problem will be around Deggendorf. The damage cannot be assessed until the waters have receded.

Maybe cruises cold be split into two parts to/from Nuremburg/Regensburg - to/from Passau. Nuremburg is 2 1/2 hour bus drive and Regensburg is 1 1/4 hour away.

Ron

Hi

We were on a river cruise that stopped in Passau in 2007 and I rember the flood sign. There is a report of a cruise ship stranded on Danube. See

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/other-world/sandbags-and-nerves-as-flood-peak-hits-germany-1.1193717

Cruise ship(mentioned toward bottom of article) is not named

Tom:)

Ron

This is very interesting, and probably the best prediction-wise us future river cruisers could hope for. Very many thanks for the above information.

It does however shine an interesting light on the comprehensive, but shall one say, rather optimistic assurances coming from the river cruise companies (in particular the post on this board from Viking) with regards to itinerary changes for June 8th onwards sailings aboard the Danube.

That 'the itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with only minor (if any) additional alterations necessary' really isn't the same as the scenario set out above. For instance, Viking Njord is currently 'stuck' in Bratislava, and yet is taking its full complement of passengers on June 8th for its sailing up to Nuremberg. How can this be, when the river levels have nowhere near dropped sufficiently for the boat to safely passage, and when the swell is still coming downstream, towards Bratislava, and with Budapest on high alert for flooding this weekend? There is no traffic navigating the river at all, and yet Viking insist this sailing will go ahead with only minor alterations.

Im no rocket scientist, but something here doesn't quite add up.

I have no wish to cast doubt on anyone's good intentions, and it must be a total nightmare on the ground for cruise managers, crew, passengers and most importantly, the local residents. But for those of us embarking in the next fortnight, it strikes me that a rubber ring of optimism is been thrown over the side of the boat, into the Danube, and it's hoped we will all float along with it!

I just can't see it myself. Can anyone else?

And that being the case, surely, surely, the river cruise companies need to see it too and own up to the fact that these weekend departures are not going to happen with only 'minor alterations'!!

Archived