Grave situation on the Danube

phoebecat

Hi

We were on a river cruise that stopped in Passau in 2007 and I rember the flood sign. There is a report of a cruise ship stranded on Danube. See

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/other-world/sandbags-and-nerves-as-flood-peak-hits-germany-1.1193717

Cruise ship(mentioned toward bottom of article) is not named

Tom:)

The ship is " Filia Rheni " with 130 Brits on board, they were due to leave the ship at 19:00 local time.

Also the "Swiss Sapphire" with 120 passengershad a very narrow escape with a railway bridge in Linz, Austria, see photo below. The boat was moored under the bridge and police realised that passengers could be in danger of being crushed under the bridge, passengers were led to safety via the gangway which was already under water. The boat was then moved to safety and just scrapped under the bridge, where the photo was taken.

The question that comes to mind in both cases is wasn't the captains paying attention to the condition of the Danube!

Ron

14_935.jpg.4dc3590fd3fc5f2e4174b0f1ede3cb67.jpg

This is very interesting, and probably the best prediction-wise us future river cruisers could hope for. Very many thanks for the above information.

It does however shine an interesting light on the comprehensive, but shall one say, rather optimistic assurances coming from the river cruise companies (in particular the post on this board from Viking) with regards to itinerary changes for June 8th onwards sailings aboard the Danube.

That 'the itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with only minor (if any) additional alterations necessary' really isn't the same as the scenario set out above. For instance, Viking Njord is currently 'stuck' in Bratislava, and yet is taking its full complement of passengers on June 8th for its sailing up to Nuremberg. How can this be, when the river levels have nowhere near dropped sufficiently for the boat to safely passage, and when the swell is still coming downstream, towards Bratislava, and with Budapest on high alert for flooding this weekend? There is no traffic navigating the river at all, and yet Viking insist this sailing will go ahead with only minor alterations.

Im no rocket scientist, but something here doesn't quite add up.

I have no wish to cast doubt on anyone's good intentions, and it must be a total nightmare on the ground for cruise managers, crew, passengers and most importantly, the local residents. But for those of us embarking in the next fortnight, it strikes me that a rubber ring of optimism is been thrown over the side of the boat, into the Danube, and it's hoped we will all float along with it!

I just can't see it myself. Can anyone else?

And that being the case, surely, surely, the river cruise companies need to see it too and own up to the fact that these weekend departures are not going to happen with only 'minor alterations'!!

An excellent observation! The companies are definitely down playing the realities. No cruise in that region is anywhere near to normal for some time to come.

Wow, I thought the Swiss Sapphire was operated by Tauck. They are supposed to be one of the best river boat companies, not some fly by night organization. Scary that they were not more on top of the river conditions.

Wow, I thought the Swiss Sapphire was operated by Tauck. They are supposed to be one of the best river boat companies, not some fly by night organization. Scary that they were not more on top of the river conditions.

Exactly. I am on the Treasures on July 14. Makes one wonder.

Terri

it strikes me that a rubber ring of optimism is been thrown over the side of the boat, into the Danube, and it's hoped we will all float along with it!

That had me laughing out loud :D

Seriously, I agree with Ron. Probably the cruise will be hacked in 2 pieces, with buses ferrying guests between Nuremberg and a point on the Austrian border (preferably after the bridge at Linz) to transfer them onto other ships. Not only will ships cause waves which could cause completely saturated flood barriers to cave in, there is no way the ships will make it under the bridges (the railway bridge at Deggendorf is normally already pretty low). Problem with transfers by bus is that the highway A3 is still closed between Straubing and Vilshofen because it is flooded for over 20 miles.

The ship is " Filia Rheni " with 130 Brits on board, they were due to leave the ship at 19:00 local time.

Also the "Swiss Sapphire" with 120 passengershad a very narrow escape with a railway bridge in Linz, Austria, see photo below. The boat was moored under the bridge and police realised that passengers could be in danger of being crushed under the bridge, passengers were led to safety via the gangway which was already under water. The boat was then moved to safety and just scrapped under the bridge, where the photo was taken.

The question that comes to mind in both cases is wasn't the captains paying attention to the condition of the Danube!

Ron

They say a picture is worth a thousand words but THAT one is best summed up with...pardon my french ...***???

Have to edit as CC has bleeped out my post...lets just say instead. "what the heck?"

Current level of the Danube in Passau is 9.79 m, DD got off very lightly only a couple of slightly damp carpets which are drying in the sun. As the water subsides then an army of volunteers start the clean up, Passau University has been closed and many of the 10000 students are helping in the clean up. Firemen from as far as 300 Km with their vehicles are also helping.

In one small area I saw three police water cannons in operation, normally they are used to disperse crowds now they are being used to disperse the mud.

Passau will welcome the tourists, as always - after all it is a major economic factor here. As for people taking photos, JUST CARRY ON AS BEFORE, we are used to cameras, after all Passau is a picturesque town.

The major attraction in Passau (besides myself :rolleyes:) is the Cathedral with it's church organ, it was well above the high water mark and is functioning as normal.

The mooring docks are still under several feet of water, once the water has receded what the Danube has deposited on them will first have to be removed and then inspected for any possible damage, although I have to say thy are massively built - mostly of granite.

I'll post some photos shortly, that I took this morning.

Ron

Am most interested in seeing your pics when you get a chance to post them...and good news about DD...and the Cathedral and organ...

None of the companies who have posted on these boards are 'fly by night companies'. Even the best river cruise companies have been caught off guard and are doing their best to accomodate their current customers as well as those who are cruising in the next few weeks. Not every company will do the same thing and each will handle their own fleet and customers in their own way.

Some photos of Passau.

1. Taken on Monday evening in the main shopping street Beauty in Tragedy

2. Taken this afternoon, almost the same view as in 1st Photo

3. German Tax Office (Finanzamt) under water

Ron

a9.jpg.2f7e544049ffcc3b3494ae6de378dcfb.jpg

a10.jpg.52f5054719503ea9203e44246e042efd.jpg

a8.jpg.36c8464f0e78a23eccfdabe4f366e797.jpg

More photos from Passau, taken today:

1. German police water cannon being used to clean the streets

2. "Those Boots were made for Wading" any takers.

3. Cafes are starting to open up this one is called "Duft Leben" translated as "Scent of Life"

4. Typical street scene showing piles of garbage and volunteers cleaning up

Ron

20130606_113714.jpg.998e9fb08d28d3ad4733f306335ee9da.jpg

20130606_114918.jpg.349e2f4b847dddd030f746c879fec575.jpg

20130606_115200.jpg.fc6d041157aa97d2d636574020dcd241.jpg

20130606_120718.jpg.a541512ba5493c65156a45f868662834.jpg

None of the companies who have posted on these boards are 'fly by night companies'. Even the best river cruise companies have been caught off guard and are doing their best to accomodate their current customers as well as those who are cruising in the next few weeks. Not every company will do the same thing and each will handle their own fleet and customers in their own way.

When I first read the report, though, I thought "oh, that must be one of those day cruise boats that we have seen. It couldn't be any of the boats we would consider taking." I was clearly wrong, but it does raise the question of judgment on the part of the company and captain to have kept the passengers aboard until it got to the point where it did, and then the local police are the ones who call to abandon ship.

Even more photos from Passau, all three photos show the mooring berths used by cruise ships in the centre of Passau, still under several meters of wasser and an unknown amount of sludge.

Ron

20130606_120000.jpg.45b98949a4f1cdeebdeff0692a9a414b.jpg

20130606_120101.jpg.f9b6179adceca84362387a765404a866.jpg

20130606_122300.jpg.126f0b79c3eb8cf54fea3a2cfc8fae6f.jpg

Hi phoebecat,

It seems you were able to type a bit faster than we were… We just posted the most recent update to our thread, here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38666747#post38666747. As you’ll see, the June 8th sailing of Viking Njord that you mention was, in fact, canceled and Viking has been in contact with all guests via email and then a follow-up phone call.

We hope this most recent update helps to alleviate some of your worry about upcoming cruises. Please know you can contact us, either by calling the Viking UK office, or by emailing TellUs@vikingcruises.com if you have additional questions or concerns.

Very best,

Viking Cruises

This is very interesting, and probably the best prediction-wise us future river cruisers could hope for. Very many thanks for the above information.

It does however shine an interesting light on the comprehensive, but shall one say, rather optimistic assurances coming from the river cruise companies (in particular the post on this board from Viking) with regards to itinerary changes for June 8th onwards sailings aboard the Danube.

That 'the itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with only minor (if any) additional alterations necessary' really isn't the same as the scenario set out above. For instance, Viking Njord is currently 'stuck' in Bratislava, and yet is taking its full complement of passengers on June 8th for its sailing up to Nuremberg. How can this be, when the river levels have nowhere near dropped sufficiently for the boat to safely passage, and when the swell is still coming downstream, towards Bratislava, and with Budapest on high alert for flooding this weekend? There is no traffic navigating the river at all, and yet Viking insist this sailing will go ahead with only minor alterations.

Im no rocket scientist, but something here doesn't quite add up.

I have no wish to cast doubt on anyone's good intentions, and it must be a total nightmare on the ground for cruise managers, crew, passengers and most importantly, the local residents. But for those of us embarking in the next fortnight, it strikes me that a rubber ring of optimism is been thrown over the side of the boat, into the Danube, and it's hoped we will all float along with it!

I just can't see it myself. Can anyone else?

And that being the case, surely, surely, the river cruise companies need to see it too and own up to the fact that these weekend departures are not going to happen with only 'minor alterations'!!

Thanks Ron for your photos...the one comparing Mon nite street to today was amazing at how fast the water can receed.

Also interesting to note Viking's most recent post re: cancelled Njord cruise as ship is stuck in Bratislava.

Suffice to say, this aint over yet!

Ron

Wow, Swiss Sapphire is the Tauck Tours Riverboat.

Ron

This picture was mentioned on the Tauck website forum and a person who was on the Swiss Sapphire on Tuesday says that all the passengers were all taken off the ship BEFORE the dock was flooded and they arrived home on Tuesday. Could it be possible that there were no passengers on the ship when this happened?

Terri

yes it can be dangerous.http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/accidents-danube-may-2013these were posted earlier too.

the beauty of the internet is that info can be posted in real time and therefore facts can be checked and reports validated.

many travellers rely on sites like this one to gain current info it is invaluable.

important to research to inform travel decisions and spending.

I have a transfer from Nuremberg via Passau (A3 Motorway), Melk, Wachau Valley to Vienna today, so later (or tomorrow morning), I#ll give you another first hand report on the situation along the Danube.

I have a transfer from Nuremberg via Passau (A3 Motorway), Melk, Wachau Valley to Vienna today, so later (or tomorrow morning), I#ll give you another first hand report on the situation along the Danube.

Ingo, good luck, I see the A3 Autobahn is still closed, might be a long detour.

Have a good and safe journey.

Ron

PS. Weather forecast says rain round Passau for the next 4 days, hopefully only light rain.

This picture was mentioned on the Tauck website forum and a person who was on the Swiss Sapphire on Tuesday says that all the passengers were all taken off the ship BEFORE the dock was flooded and they arrived home on Tuesday. Could it be possible that there were no passengers on the ship when this happened?

Terri

In my original message, I said passengers were taken off and then the boat was moved. No passengers were onboard when the near missed occurred.

Ron

In my original message, I said passengers were taken off and then the boat was moved. No passengers were onboard when the near missed occurred.

Yes, that is what you said. But I had to go back and reread your original post because I, too, read it that the passengers were onboard when the photo was taken.

Boat was moored under a bridge. (Like in the picture.)

Police feared passengers could be crushed under the bridge. (leading to me thinking they were on board when the boat was under that bridge.)

Led to safety via gangway under water (this is where the disconnect happens between the narrative and the picture since there is no way there's a gangway in the picture. But by then I had another story in my head so I misunderstood.)

Boat moved to safety and just scrapped under the bridge..(this is where my perfectionism did me in - I was focusing on the typo and missed the key phrase "where the photo was taken.")

It is a great photo, thanks for sharing.

And thanks for all your 'on the scene' reporting since the disaster is worse than I imagined but the cleanup is happening faster than I imagined as well. You are getting out both sides of the story and that is extremely helpful since it is hard to believe that in a month a river cruise will be enjoyable since the ports are 'ruined'. Your photos show that this won't necessarily be the case and those with cruises in the summer should not think they are going to get an inferior experience to those of us who went other years.

I noticed that Tauck has finally been heard from on CC and posted on update on their own thread...

The following 2013 departures have been canceled:

May 30 – The Blue Danube

June 6 – The Blue Danube

June 2 – Grand European Cruise

June 2 – Amsterdam to Budapest by Riverboat

June 14 – Budapest to the Black Sea – The surge of the Danube river is currently in Bratislava and is expected to pass Budapest Tuesday-Wednesday. The impact of the surge as it heads from Budapest to the Black Sea is unknown at this time, so the departure was canceled.

Now that's what I'm talking about...at least Tauck is being as open and honest and transparent as anyone can be...they are saying they don't know so they are erring on the side of reason and cancelling. Good on 'em.

Ron

I'm sorry. I misread your post. Thank you for all your posts and pictures and keeping us all up to date on what is happening on the rivers.

Terri

I noticed that Tauck has finally been heard from on CC and posted on update on their own thread...

The following 2013 departures have been canceled:

May 30 – The Blue Danube

June 6 – The Blue Danube

June 2 – Grand European Cruise

June 2 – Amsterdam to Budapest by Riverboat

June 14 – Budapest to the Black Sea – The surge of the Danube river is currently in Bratislava and is expected to pass Budapest Tuesday-Wednesday. The impact of the surge as it heads from Budapest to the Black Sea is unknown at this time, so the departure was canceled.

Now that's what I'm talking about...at least Tauck is being as open and honest and transparent as anyone can be...they are saying they don't know so they are erring on the side of reason and cancelling. Good on 'em.

Tauck now also has a link on the first page of their website with updates. Don't know what took them so long.

Terri

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/07/world/europe/europe-flood/?hpt=hp_t2

most recent pics first

"The river is expected to peak near the border with Slovakia, in Nagybajcs, on Saturday morning and in the capital, Budapest, on Monday, according to the European Commission's emergency response center.

"In both areas, the highest-ever-measured water levels are expected," it said.

Hungary's Water Management Authority said a new record, 20 centimeters (nearly 8 inches) more than the previous high, had already been set at Nagybajcs as of midday Friday.

New all-time highs have also been recorded downriver at Komarom, it said.

The mayor of Budapest, Istvan Tarlos, said he expects a record of 895 centimeters (almost 30 feet) in the capital but he believes its flood defenses should keep the city safe with about a foot to spare"

Lots of pics and videos....doesn't look promising towards Budapest in next few days.:eek:

Archived