grandmas review rainforest, crab feast

sue gill

myself, my dh and my 5 year old grandaughter took this tour may21 .Weather was 50 in the morning 70 in the afternoon.no rain.our guides name was jennifer.we got us a bus ,take a short trip[about20-30 mins]took us in groups of 10 . went on a short trail,saw a rescue eagle and owl.feed rescue

raindeers, saw a totem pole carver,then back on the bus to go to eat all you can eat crab legs.lots of steps to lodge but they do have a van if you cant climb that many steps[down is easy but after eating all those crab legs dripping with butter up is not so easy. they make it really fun ,a contest for highest pile of discarded crab legs and singing and cheese cake for desert.you can get chicken or vegetarian if needed. they ask you before they leave the docks. great tour for our 5 year old grandbaby .all ages had fun

Sounds like the port must be Ketchikan? Would love more info on this excursion. Was it ship sporsored or a private tour? If private, can you tell us how you booked and with whom? And the price would be helpful too! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Fair warning to folks with shellfish allergies, even though a place offers chicken or vegan alternative meals, the general atmosphere, handing of plates, other foods, etc is not safe for us!

i used to love eating crab until my allergy turned up. I am not saying there is a connection.

We just don't belong in a place that specializes in crab and/or other shellfish.

If you just don't care for crab and want to go along with your family/friends, that's going to be a very expensive plate of chicken/vegan items, but there's no harm in going along for the company of your people.

sorry yes it was ketchilkan . we booked thru princess. but someone told you could book private just the rainforest sanctuary. the trail had fine gravel all down hill couldnt have been more than a mile.the funny thing was the tour guide would ask does any one have any questions. my five years grandaughter raise her hand and i dont think she stop asking questions.she asked some great questions too.the tour guide was wonderful with her[jennifer as her name].

cost was 159. adult 129. for a child but that was for both. for just therainforest walk its adult 89. child 69 or rainforest walk and seahawk adventure 119 adult 89 for a child step were at the crab feast but they did have a van that took many up and back from the lodge were the feast was.

Sue - thank you so much for all that information. We did the Crab Feast that included a boat ride. It was also booked through the ship, so I was just curious to know if you could book the combination separately, but it doesn't look like that will work - have to have the crab meal included!!

Archived