Day by Day Cruise Review: Grand Princess Alaska/Glacier Bay May 20, 2013

MilliesMom

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/03/19/walking-tours-juneau-skagway-ketchikan/

So many of the ports have walking tours/maps available. Here are some that I have found to be extremely helpful:

Juneau Walking Tour: http://www.traveljuneau.com/images/map_downtown_big.jpg

Skagway Walking Tour: http://skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

Ketchikan Map: http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/downtownmap.pdf

Creek Street In Ketchikan (worth going to): http://www.experienceketchikan.com/creek-street-ketchikan.html#ixzz1ahUYElGt

Map of Victoria … shows walk from ship to town: http://gvha.v3.ca/uploaded/cruise-map-web-3.jpg

Sitka (unofficial walking tour): http://www.travelsitka.com/walking.shtml

Sitka (different map than above): http://www.sitka.org/includes/media/docs/SitkaVisitorsMap-NO-Ads.pdf

Walking tours can be a great way to do an “excursion” that requires no money just some time and a good pair of walking shoes. Remember to wear “layers” of clothing and to be prepared too just in case of rain.

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/10/cruise-review-day-10-grand-princess-sea-day-may-29-2013-wednesday-part-1/

Can’t believe that this is our final sea day and that we will be docking in San Francisco tomorrow. Where has the time gone? The last few days have flown by.

Sky: Overcast

Wind: North Westerly, Force 5

Temperature: 13.5 C / 56.3 F

Today was a day of relaxation, packing, and even getting a nap in. The seas got a bit rough again and both of us got a bit queasy. Got out our bands, made a big difference. That evening I didn’t want to eat anything but something really bland like white rice. Hal went down to the Michelangelo Dining Room and talked to Yalchin (Head Waiter) as he had been helping with my meals all week because of my food allergies. Hal explained that I wasn’t feeling well and wondered if he could get a bowl of white rice for me. Yalchin (what a great guy) was concerned about me and said that he would send it up to the cabin AND what was Hal going to do for dinner. Hal explained that he probably would just do a sandwich from room service. Yalchin wouldn’t hear of it, and insisted on sending Hal’s dinner from the dining room menu up to him too. He showed Hal the menu and asked what he would like to have. About 20 minutes later, dinner arrived. Hal had a great New York steak, and I did get a scoop of white rice but they also gave me a full dinner of salmon etc. The kitchen staff misunderstood because I had pre-ordered (done for those with food allergies) the night before. There was no way I could eat the main meal, so later Hal went to the buffet and got me some rice that was there. I wasn’t upset about the mix-up. I totally understood how it happened.

Even with being a bit seasick today, we did have a good day on board the ship. We listened to a jazz group in the atrium. The area was packed. We were lucky to get one of the last 2 seats there. I was surprised at people who stood on the stairway into the atrium, one even seating on the stairs .. yet no one would move with people came up and down the stairs. Not good. The jazz group was wonderful, and we thoroughly enjoyed them.

Another beautiful sunset tonight. Luggage out by 8:30 pm making sure we had clothes for the next day.

Here are our photos from today.

Mary_1527-1024x768.jpg

Mary_1530-1024x768.jpg

Mary_1535-1024x768.jpg

Mary_1546-768x1024.jpg

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/10/cruise-review-day-11-grand-princess-san-francisco-may-30-2013-thursday/

Mary_0574-1024x768.jpg

We actually didn’t take any photos after yesterday. This was taken the day we boarding, but we had the same view so added it in here.

It seems impossible our cruise is over. We had to be out of our cabin by 8 AM today. Here is the meal times for this morning:

Horizon Court, Deck 14 … Buffet Breakfast 5:30 am to 9:30 am

Self-Service Coffee and Tea will be available throughout the morning.

Botticelli Dining Room, Deck 6 Aft … Breakfast 5:30 am to 8:30 am.

Bar Service: International Cafe, Deck 5 & Calypso bar, Deck 14 … 6 am to 9:30 am (only credit card accepted)

NO ROOM SERVICE

Our room steward, Arnold, said it would be OK to leave our carry-on luggage in the cabin until after breakfast. I recommend always checking before you do this as some of the stewards do not want things left in the cabin.

We had a nice breakfast in the dining room, but those at our table that ordered hot items really had quite a wait. We weren’t in a hurry as our disembarkment time was at 10:40 am and we were in the 2nd to the last group overall. Went back and got our luggage then went to the Michelangelo Dining Room to wait. Our color/number was called around 10:30 am. We specifically asked for a late departure from the ship. They were checking colors/numbers earlier as people got off the ship. As we went to get off, they scanned our cards (let us keep them) and we could leave. The man ahead of me had an immigration issue when they scanned his card so he was pulled from the line.

We walked off the ship right into the baggage area. Found our luggage right away (thank goodness I had painted the designs on them). There are restrooms to the right as you get into the baggage area. From the baggage area, we had a bit of a walk to the outer door. No coats needed today. As we got outside the building there were LONG lines of people lined up against the building waiting to board. We were able to walk right over and get a cab. We were at the Tuscann Inn in under 10 minutes. Cab fare with tip was around $10. This was the fastest and easiest disembarkation we have ever done.

Our room at the hotel wasn’t ready, so we had them store our luggage and we walked to the pier. Ate lunch at Boudin’s Bakery & Restaurant http://www.boudinbakery.com/ , The sandwich was HUGE. Definitely one to share. They have a huge picture window (actually a whole wall of window) on the front of the store so you can watch the bakers making different types of bread there. There are microphones so you can ask them questions too. Quite interesting.

We walked back to the hotel and was able to check in early. Had the same type room as before, and it was great. Got a few things unpacked and headed back to Pier 39 to explore. Spent hours walking around the waterfront and late afternoon decided to try the Japanese/Sushi restaurant on Pier 39 called Hana Zen

http://www.opentable.com/hana-zen-sushi-bar-pier-39

The sushi was EXCEPTIONAL!!!! Both Hal and I agreed it was a place we would recommend and go back to too. The views from this restaurant are wonderful too. It is upstairs at the pier and all the way forward.

We walked back to the hotel, then over to CostPlus World Market which is about 1/4 block away. Nice, big store. When I was in San Francisco in 1970, Cost Plus was a HUGE warehouse type store. I remember the 100s of hand-painted piggy banks, and so many people filling all the aisles. It was like going through a treasure chest. No longer that way, but a nice store to go through and a good one to pick up wine from before a cruise.

The next afternoon we flew home. Execucar was there early to pick us up at the hotel (YEA!!!!). We were shocked when we got to the airport on a Friday afternoon about 1:30 PM that there was literally no line to check in. Then the security line was minimal, about 5 minutes. They do full body scans at San Francisco. When we arrived in Phoenix, our Execucar driver was waiting for us in baggage. Painted design on the luggage made it quick and easy to find and we were on our way home. Our wonderful neighbor had called us the night before to see if she could bring us dinner. So at 7 pm when we pulled up, she was waiting with Jersey Mike’s Sub Sandwiches (our choice – YUMM). It was nice to be home, and get to share our adventures with her.

This had been an amazing cruise. We would cruise again on the Grand AND would do this itinerary again too. Even the rough seas didn’t affect the overall rating of this cruise. Rough seas can happen no matter where you leave from. The cruises before and after us had smooth sailing, but not as nice of weather as we had.

FUNNY THINGS WE OVERHEARD: It is always funny to hear what others say … some comments just make you go “WHAT!!!”

1. As we were cruising through Endicott Arm: “I wonder what the elevation is? Do you think we are at sea level?” (note: we were on the ship at the time, the ship sails on the sea … yes, I think it is safe to say we are at sea level.)

2. At the buffet (Hal just shock his head at this one): “This lettuce is NOT green enough. I wouldn’t feed it my dog.” I asked Hal is the lettuce was wilted. He said no, normal lettuce for make it yourself salads. He didn’t see anything wrong with it.

3. Man enters a pretty full elevator with a bay in a covered stroller. Everyone is chatting away and he tell us: “Shhhh, you are going to wake the baby!!!” He got off next, and we all laughed after he did. Why would someone expect people to stop talking just because they brought the baby into the area.

4. In the dining room … right after ordering dinner, a woman asks the waiter to bring her the dessert menu (not uncommon request), but then say “I need to see it so I can decide how many of each dessert I want tonight”.

5. On the last sea day, we overheard a couple talking about the noise in their cabin. They are really upset about it as they are telling their friends (all are sitting next to us in the lounge). The friends asked if they had talked to the purser’s desk about it and they said NO. They planned to talk to them tonight, and tell them they expected some kind of compensation. If they didn’t get the compensation they would NEVER sail with Princess again. This makes no sense to me at all. This cruise was a 10 night cruise, and the problem supposedly existed since the first night, and they didn’t tell anyone before this?????

Hope you enjoyed my review. My blog will continue with additional information on ports, excursions etc over the next year. So check back OR sign up for e-mail notification so that you won’t miss out on any updates.

Thank you for reading my blog.

Mary, thanks for taking the time to write such an awesome review and post all of those amazing photos! I can't wait to get on the Grand in 19 days! (Yes, we did finally book our cruise to visit our daughter on board!) I have a couple of questions about Victoria. You mentioned to not forget to take your passport with you off the ship, I've never taken my passport off ship when I've visited a foreign country, I thought only cruise card was required because you basically clear customs on the ship. Is this different for Canada? Although we do have passports, since this is a closed loop cruise, technically passports are not required, so that makes me wonder what those who don't have passports do in Victoria. Second, did anyone give you anY problem about walking all over the Empress Hotel and even into the Tea Room without having tea? It looks beautiful, I'd certainly like to peek in while we are in port, but I hear the tea is EXPENSIVE! :D

We are definitely on a budget this cruise, so it was nice to read that you felt you had a fabulous vacation and taste of Alaska without spending a fortune in every port!

Mary, thanks for taking the time to write such an awesome review and post all of those amazing photos! I can't wait to get on the Grand in 19 days! (Yes, we did finally book our cruise to visit our daughter on board!) I have a couple of questions about Victoria. You mentioned to not forget to take your passport with you off the ship, I've never taken my passport off ship when I've visited a foreign country, I thought only cruise card was required because you basically clear customs on the ship. Is this different for Canada? Although we do have passports, since this is a closed loop cruise, technically passports are not required, so that makes me wonder what those who don't have passports do in Victoria. Second, did anyone give you anY problem about walking all over the Empress Hotel and even into the Tea Room without having tea? It looks beautiful, I'd certainly like to peek in while we are in port, but I hear the tea is EXPENSIVE! :D

We are definitely on a budget this cruise, so it was nice to read that you felt you had a fabulous vacation and taste of Alaska without spending a fortune in every port!

You are very welcome. Glad you are going to see your daughter. How fun!!!

We've always taken our passports with us when in a foreign port. My theory is that if we miss the ship, we can still fly out of the port with no issues. I don't honestly know all the ins and outs ... we did not need to show them to get off or get on the ship in Victoria. They did have us fill out info forms a couple days before for Victoria that did include our passport information/numbers. I'm one of these people that thinks about the "what ifs" and wants to know we are covered.

http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/dining/afternoontea/

Everything you wanted to know about tea at the Empress. When we walked through, the area was not open for business however we could take photos. I took a number of the tea area, but Hal's camera had a glitch and I didn't realize until last night that we lost them.

You definitely can do the ports on a budget. This is the first time we've eaten in port on a cruise. Hal always buys a couple of tees but they are not a necessity. The only excursion we did was the shuttle into Victoria ($9 per person round trip). In all of the ports we walked, and walked, and walked. We had a wonderful time without spending lots of money. It was a bit of a distance into town for Victoria so am glad we got the shuttle tickets.

On board the ship, expenses were tips, soda card for Hal (I don't drink pop), 4 or 5 large bottles of water for the cabin (I don't tap water around the ship), and $90 for our two jackets. We could of got by without the jackets, but oh my gosh were they warm and better than what we had brought with us (altho it would of worked too). Neither Hal or I got any drinks this time other than the free champagne at the Captain's Party. Usually we have 1 or 2 during the cruise.

What I have done in the past is packed pre-packaged crackers/cheese or protein bars to take into port to tide us over if we didn't want to head back to the ship for lunch. Many ports will not allow you to take food of the ship or food that is not sealed by the manufacturer. You can take bottled water off the ship, and they sold it close to the ship exit in each port if you wanted it.

When we were in port in Skagway we did pick up crackers for me and M&Ms for Hal at the grocery store.

You definitely can get by without spending money in the ports and still have a wonderful time. I know you are going to have a great vacation. Looking forward to hearing more about it when you get back.

Edited by MilliesMom

Thanks for the great pictures and narrative, I feel like I was there with you both. Your thread makes me excited about our cruise in 10 days but sad that it does come to an end. I will be interested in how disembarkation went. One question, on the sea days were you able to find seats easily at the buffet (breakfast and lunch)? Once again, great review and wish you many happy sailings in the future.

you are very welcome.

I think you may have missed my comments about getting off the ship, so I will repost here:

We had a nice breakfast in the dining room, but those at our table that ordered hot items really had quite a wait. We weren’t in a hurry as our disembarkment time was at 10:40 am and we were in the 2nd to the last group overall. Went back and got our luggage then went to the Michelangelo Dining Room to wait. Our color/number was called around 10:30 am. We specifically asked for a late departure from the ship. They were checking colors/numbers earlier as people got off the ship. As we went to get off, they scanned our cards (let us keep them) and we could leave. The man ahead of me had an immigration issue when they scanned his card so he was pulled from the line.

We walked off the ship right into the baggage area. Found our luggage right away (thank goodness I had painted the designs on them). There are restrooms to the right as you get into the baggage area. From the baggage area, we had a bit of a walk to the outer door. No coats needed today. As we got outside the building there were LONG lines of people lined up against the building waiting to board. We were able to walk right over and get a cab. We were at the Tuscann Inn in under 10 minutes. Cab fare with tip was around $10. This was the fastest and easiest disembarkment we have ever done.

Some days it was difficult finding a table right in the main buffet area. What we did was as soon as we walked in and found a table, one of us would sit there and the other would go get their food. Worked for us. There are some large tables too and we often saw people ask if the seats were taken. Most people were willing to share. Many times both sides of the ship buffets are open, that helps too.

We actually liked eating in the dining room for breakfast, but they stopped serving at 9 am. So if we slept in, we had no choice but the buffet. Lunch was a mix of dining room, buffet, room service, pizza on deck 14. The Pub Lunches on the sea days are GREAT. Go to at least one, the fish & chips are good and they had other choices too.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise. I wish I was headed back now too.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review and for providing the photos and the wealth of information! Great job!! Your review ended too soon (probably like your vacation), we want more!! ;)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review and for providing the photos and the wealth of information! Great job!! Your review ended too soon (probably like your vacation), we want more!! ;)

You are very welcome and so right. Vacation was wonderful but ended too soon. Good thing we have a back 2 back to plan for next year. :D

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/10/grand-princess-pub-lunch-menu/

I wanted to show the menu for the Pub Lunch served on the Grand Princess. It was served three different days. Not sure if the menu changed it time or was identical. I believe the fish & chips portion is standard.

Mary_0651-1024x768.jpg

If you are reading this from my blog, you can click on the photo for a larger picture.

We both had Fish & Chips. It was really good. Hal truly enjoyed the Bread and Butter Pudding. Said it was very rich. We only went the one day, so can’t comment about the other days it was offered. Pub Lunch was served a total of 3 days on our cruise. It was only offered on sea days, not port days.

Edited by MilliesMom

mary...everything you've posted has been fabulous. the pictures are beyond wonderful too. a couple of questions if you don't mind. does the grand offer gelato at the international cafe? i know some ships do and others don't. i hope the grand does.

when were the two formal nights?

cheers

Very much enjoyed your review and pictures. We are in a mini suite on the Island Princess in Sept thru the canal. Loved the cabin video.

Louise

You are going to have such fun. The mini-suite was perfect. We had more than enough room, and a space to just sit and relax too.

mary...everything you've posted has been fabulous. the pictures are beyond wonderful too. a couple of questions if you don't mind. does the grand offer gelato at the international cafe? i know some ships do and others don't. i hope the grand does.

when were the two formal nights?

cheers

No gelato at the IC. I looked for it too. I never saw gelato on the menus either. The ice cream in the dining room and the soft serve are OK. I'm a big fan of ice cream, and neither of them were great. I had ice cream once in the dining room and twice as a cone. We shared an ice cream sundae from Sundaes too.

Formal nights on this cruise were:

Day 3 .... Sea Day .... Weds .... May 22, 2013

and

Day 8 .... Sea Day .... Mon ... May 27, 2013

thanks mary. i'm disappointed about the gelato. and yes, their regular ice creams are nothing special but i do love the milkshakes and that's another reason i buy the soda and more card.

cheers

Hal bought the card that included the soda and the other things like milkshakes too. Then he only drank soda, no mocktails, no milkshakes etc. I think it stemmed from the fact that he drank diet pop and had his sugar fill with the souffles and the cheesecakes offered each day. He was in heaven because at least one type if not more were on the menu or in the buffet or IC.

We're on the Star next year, I believe they have the Gelato and also the sushi. On the Grand they don't have the sushi/tapas that are offered on some of the other ships.

Edited by MilliesMom

What an amazing review!!!! Thank you for writing this! I loved it all!

Hubby and I are going on our first Alaska cruise in August and I am so excited I can hardly stand it.... we've had this in the works for almost 3 years now (celebrating our 5 year anniversary). Your review got me so ready for it to be here already, and gave me some ideas of things we need to check out. :)

Your sunset pictures are amazing!

Also, I'm at work and already hungry for lunch so all of this food talk is making me stomach growl!!! lol. ;)

What an amazing review!!!! Thank you for writing this! I loved it all!

Hubby and I are going on our first Alaska cruise in August and I am so excited I can hardly stand it.... we've had this in the works for almost 3 years now (celebrating our 5 year anniversary). Your review got me so ready for it to be here already, and gave me some ideas of things we need to check out. :)

Your sunset pictures are amazing!

Also, I'm at work and already hungry for lunch so all of this food talk is making me stomach growl!!! lol. ;)

thank you so much.

You are going to LOVE Alaska. The beauty there has no comparison. Happy Anniversary too.

My husband and I met on a cruise to Alaska almost 27 years ago. It was our very first cruise. We now have been 3 times (11 cruises in all) and can't wait to go again.

As I said earlier, whether you are on a very strict budget or the sky is the limit .. there will be lots to do and see.

Yes, there is LOTS of food. You won't ever go hungry on a cruise ship that is for sure. LOL.

thank you so much.

You are going to LOVE Alaska. The beauty there has no comparison. Happy Anniversary too.

My husband and I met on a cruise to Alaska almost 27 years ago. It was our very first cruise. We now have been 3 times (11 cruises in all) and can't wait to go again.

As I said earlier, whether you are on a very strict budget or the sky is the limit .. there will be lots to do and see.

Yes, there is LOTS of food. You won't ever go hungry on a cruise ship that is for sure. LOL.

Thank you! How cute that you two MET on a cruise- what a great story. :)

I'll definitely do a trip report when we get back- makes the adventure last for just a bit longer lol.

The friends asked if they had talked to the purser’s desk about it and they said NO. They planned to talk to them tonight, and tell them they expected some kind of compensation. If they didn’t get the compensation they would NEVER sail with Princess again. ...

Not to fear .. they will soon out of cruise lines ;)

Great review! Thanks.

Thank you! How cute that you two MET on a cruise- what a great story. :)

I'll definitely do a trip report when we get back- makes the adventure last for just a bit longer lol.

Thank you. If you would like to read more about our meeting, Princess showcased our story last year on their blog:

http://inspiredtocruise.com/2012/09/enough-adventure-and-love-to-last-a-lifetime/

As I was writing my cruise review, it kept reminding me of things we had done and brought so many smiles to my day. Also made me want to cruise MORE, but have to wait now till next May to go again.

Not to fear .. they will soon out of cruise lines ;)

Great review! Thanks.

I agree. I just couldn't believe that the so called problem had gone on for 9 nights and they hadn't said a thing to anyone. Then expected compensation for their horrible cabin with all the noise. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. Either that or they were telling people to create a backup if asked. In some ways it really came across as a con, but who knows.

Glad you enjoyed my review.

Edited by MilliesMom

Thank you. If you would like to read more about our meeting, Princess showcased our story last year on their blog:

http://inspiredtocruise.com/2012/09/enough-adventure-and-love-to-last-a-lifetime/

As I was writing my cruise review, it kept reminding me of things we had done and brought so many smiles to my day. Also made me want to cruise MORE, but have to wait now till next May to go again.

I agree. I just couldn't believe that the so called problem had gone on for 9 nights and they hadn't said a thing to anyone. Then expected compensation for their horrible cabin with all the noise. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. Either that or they were telling people to create a backup if asked. In some ways it really came across as a con, but who knows.

Glad you enjoyed my review.

Mary, I remember reading that story last year but did not put the faces to the names until now! What an awesome story, I can see why Alaska is so special to you two!