Day by Day Cruise Review: Grand Princess Alaska/Glacier Bay May 20, 2013

MilliesMom

Loved the ice berg pictures. The sunset ones are magnificent! Do you remember what time it was when you took those?

Luckily our photos showed the actual time & date ...

The sunset ones were taken between 10:30 pm and 10:40 pm.

Did you see my video of leaving Skagway at 10 at night?

It is amazing at how light out it is later in the night in Alaska. Loved it.

Edited by MilliesMom

Great video. Just wondered about the time of those sunset pictures, because the lighting was like nothing I've seen before - very unique I thought.

Question: Do you recall which dining room the BVE was held in? You have given us so much information here, perhaps I missed it! Your review and photos are wonderful. Thanks again.

Loving the detail and work put into this review....photos and videos make the experience come alive.

I know it's a lot of effort but it's much appreciated by the reader. At the end of it you have a valuable momento of another fantastic Alaska experience.

Thank you!

Norris

Great video. Just wondered about the time of those sunset pictures, because the lighting was like nothing I've seen before - very unique I thought.

Question: Do you recall which dining room the BVE was held in? You have given us so much information here, perhaps I missed it! Your review and photos are wonderful. Thanks again.

Da Vinci Dining Room - Deck 6 - Mid Ship

The photos are untouched with lighting and color. They are posted exactly as taken. These are some of the most amazing sunsets I've ever seen. I have another set from another port that will post soon too.

I took the sunset photos using my camera: Canon G15. This is the first cruise I have used it on. Got it around Christmas time. When I buy a camera, I want one that will do quality photos ... will fit easily into my purse .... and beside a LCD viewer (I think that is what the screen is called) it MUST have a viewfinder. Hal actually has the better camera, but he only has the screen to preview his photos. So many are taken blindly then because of the glare. I was able to see everything I was photographing because of the viewfinder. It is a shame that the viewfinder on the smaller cameras are becoming very rare.

6612513_ba.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+G15+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/6612513.p?id=1218806164999&skuId=6612513&ref=30&loc=KW-1262&k_clickid=48e60e47-c91c-e3c8-bbfa-00007149abda

I also shoot all of my photos in "auto" mode. The videos were all taken with this camera too.

Loving the detail and work put into this review....photos and videos make the experience come alive.

I know it's a lot of effort but it's much appreciated by the reader. At the end of it you have a valuable momento of another fantastic Alaska experience.

Thank you!

Norris

Norris, thank you. I am having fun doing this. Once I finish this I am going to work on two digital scrapbooks that I will have professionally printed. We have done that now for the last few cruises we have been on and it is a great way to show others about our trip without dragging out all 1200 photos to scroll through on the computer. :eek: I only put the highlight photos in the book, and it gives a great overview of what we did.

Again, great photos!

I guess not too many people know about the back rooms (one for both sides) of the Horizon. On the Golden, we would often automatically held for one of them because there would often be more empty tables there. The downside is that often you don't get offered any beverages because the staff is busy with the crowded rooms. But we're not beyond going over to the beverage area to pour our own drinks (breakfast plenty of OJ for me, later on, lemonade). We were in an aft cabin on the Aloha deck last December, so we often took the back way into the Horizon.

Again' date=' great photos!

I guess not too many people know about the back rooms (one for both sides) of the Horizon. On the Golden, we would often automatically held for one of them because there would often be more empty tables there. The downside is that often you don't get offered any beverages because the staff is busy with the crowded rooms. But we're not beyond going over to the beverage area to pour our own drinks (breakfast plenty of OJ for me, later on, lemonade). We were in an aft cabin on the Aloha deck last December, so we often took the back way into the Horizon.[/quote']

Patty, it was funny, because on the other ships we've been on I know there can be double buffets and more seating. This ship for some reason (may be no cruises for 4 years) I didn't even think about it and was shocked to learn there was a second buffet. LOL. I had even commented to Hal that I was surprised how small it was compared to the number of passengers on board. Crew was great about beverages, napkins/silverware in all areas. One of us would get a place to sit, while the other got their food. Then when they came back the other would go. Worked fine and no real long waits for food. Typically we went up into the area at least once each day. Normally not for a meal, but for a snack item. We really liked deck 14 and 15 to be out and about. Promenade deck had been roped off so much that I honestly don't remember ever being out on it even once.

I'm back and ready to post more about our wonderful cruise. This segment is about Skagway. I really found it hard to decided which photos to post ...

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/07/cruise-review-day-5-grand-princess-skagway-may-23-2013-friday-part-1/

Today we are in Skagway from 7 AM until 8 PM.

Noon Position: Alongside in Skagway

Sky: 5/8 Cloud Cover

Wind: Southwesterly, Force 5

Temperature: 10.0 C / 50.0 F

When I first went out on our balcony this morning, I felt it was cold so put on a sweatshirt and raincoat before we left for town. After walking into town (just a few blocks) and around for just a bit, I was so glad I had brought a small tote bag with me to store our lightweight jackets and my sweatshirt. We never put them back on and took turns carrying them. It did sprinkle just a little bit once we were back on board.

As you go into town on your left will be the White Pass Railway Depot and next to that the Visitor’s Bureau. Stop in besides FREE and clean restrooms (some in town ask for a honor system donation of 50 cents), they have people who can answer your questions PLUS a FREE newspaper called: Skaguay Alaskan (yes it is spelled correctly). The newspaper has coupons, ads, articles, and a map of the shops/streets.

There is a grocery store called Fairway Market on 4th & State St. They are open year round. During the summer months they are open 8 am – 9 am. We did walk down to the store and picked up a few things. Very fair pricing, almost identical to what we were paying here in AZ for snack items. I did not price milk, meat, etc. My comparison was for M&Ms, crackers & cheese, nuts etc. The sign outside says it is an IGA market.

There is a Wells Fargo Bank and a post office between 6th & 7th on Broadway.

We stopped and got some fudge at the Alaskan Fudge Company http://www.alaskanfudgeco.com/Skagway_Fudge/Welcome.html located at 7th & Broadway. Fudge is very rich and creamy. They sell it by the slice, by the pound, by the box etc. We asked if it would be possible to just purchase 1/2 slice. They said no problem, so we purchased the milk chocolate without nuts. Brought it back to the ship to snack on later. Very good fudge. We both liked it.

Normally we do not purchase meals in town, but made an couple of exceptions this cruise both in Skagway and in Ketchikan. Today in Skagway, we stopped at the Sweet Tooth Cafe on 4th & Broadway. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60877-d539261-Reviews-Sweet_Tooth_Cafe-Skagway_Alaska.html

Hal ordered Halibut Fish & Chips ($15.95) and a coke ($2.50). I had a roast beef sandwich ($9.00) and tomato ($.75) added on. No extra charge for lettuce. Roast beef sandwich was good. The Halibut Fish & Chips were “Excellent”. Hal shared a piece with me, and I agree. With tip, about $35. Yes, we felt it was worth it. This way too we didn’t have to go back to the ship, eat, and then come back.

Hal bought two t-shirts in town (don’t remember the store but it was one of the last stores on the left as we were headed back to the ship). The shirts had funny sayings on them and one was embroidered. They were $13 and $15. Again, most items in the stores we felt we not sky high pricing, but the type of pricing we see here in AZ.

We walked for over 5 hours all around town before heading back to the ship.

That night at dinner I ordered roast beef that turned out to be really tough, but we also ordered the most fabulous tempura veggies I have ever eaten. They surpassed the quality we have eaten at many Japanese Restaurants. The tempura veggies are one item I would vote for to have on a daily basis. YUMMMM

We’ve both commented how cool it is aboard the ship. I’m definitely glad I brought my sweatshirt jacket. We haven’t gone to as many shows this cruise. Not sure why, the entertainment has been good. I think we are spending more time looking out at the wonderful sights. Amazing how light it is even at 10 pm in Skagway.

Here are photos we took today in Skagway:

Hal_0370-1024x768.jpg

I believe this is taken from the aft area of the ship while we were docked in Skagway. I know we weren’t up at the crack of dawn to see the ship sail into port.

Hal_0373-1024x768.jpg

We were at the furthest dock out. The area here is not for passengers. Passengers are let off further down. If you look closely you can see the ramp out and also the White Pass Railroad Train waiting to take passengers on the excursion. One of the great perks of booking this excursion through the ship is that you just walk a short distance and board the train. Coming back you are dropped off here too.

Hal_0376-1024x768.jpg

Lots of ships in port today. Ships at all of the docks.

Hal_0377-1024x768.jpg

This is just a small number of rock wall of graffiti … it goes on and on. Some of the rock graffiti dates back to 1917. The tradition was on the maiden voyage of the ship to Skagway that they would paint the rock to commemorate the event. It is fun to look and read the wall of rocks.

Hal_0378-1024x768.jpg

The ship is so large. When we stood by it, we were dwarfed in comparison.

Hal_0383-1024x768.jpg

The other docks across the waterway. Silversea was there, also the Sun Princess I believe. There is also a dock for the ferry. We both loved seeing all the snow.

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/07/cruise-review-day-5-grand-princess-skagway-may-23-2013-friday-part-2/

More photos from Skagway

Hal_0396-1024x768.jpg

This was right after the dock area. 1/4 mile into town. Bathrooms, pay phones, and places to sit in this area. Walk into town is pretty flat. You do walk over railroad tracks just before the train depot in town. If you do not want to walk the dock area, there is a shuttle that will take you to the bus for town. We walked, so I don’t know what the bus fee was. The dock shuttle was free. Shuttle is shown below. They were using this type of shuttle for both of the cruise ships at this dock.

Mary_1023-1024x768.jpg

Hal_0394-1024x768.jpg

Looking back towards the ships. This is the walkway along the water. It isn’t as wide as you get closer to town.

Hal_0397-1024x768.jpg

A beautiful park area before town.

Hal_0399-1024x768.jpg

Part of the park area. See the mountain in between the trees.

Hal_0401-1024x768.jpg

This is at the end of the park closest to town (about 1 block if that away). You can walk on a trail too down further.

Hal_0404-1024x768.jpg

Hal did walk down the trail and took a photo looking back. That’s me in the black jacket and I am standing on the sidewalk heading towards town. Town isn’t even 5 minutes away from this spot.

Hal_0432-1024x768.jpg

This is also a train car that is used to clean the tracks of snow. Amazing how large it is. Over to the left is the depot, train shoppe, and the 1st of the Visitor’s Bureaus. Lots of seating around this area.

Hal_0441-1024x768.jpg

Never been to the Red Onion Saloon before, so this time we did walk in. As you can tell many were not wearing jackets. We took ours off just minutes before.

Hal_0442-1024x768.jpg

This is inside the Red Onion Saloon. They are dressed in period costumes. They serve drinks and meals. We weren’t hungry at this point, so walked on. Was fun to see. I was surprised at how small it was inside. I had always envisioned it as very large.

Hal_0443-1024x768.jpg

The 2nd Tourist Bureau. The whole front of this building is made with driftwood pieces. Very interesting. I like the old style of the buildings in Skagway. Sidewalks are boardwalks that are up above the street by a few inches. (you can see it in the photo). Hal got pushed off the walk at one point because someone else wasn’t watching. Fortunately he was OK. I just try to forewarn people about this because in some areas it is extremely crowded and you may not realize how close to the edge you really are.

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/07/cruise-review-day-5-grand-princess-skagway-may-23-2013-friday-part-4/

We took so many photos in Skagway. It really is hard to choose which ones to showcase. I hope you are enjoying the review. I am having writing it and reliving our adventure. Would love to go back to Alaska in 2015 and go all the way to Anchorage and back. The hope is to see Hubbard Glacier and some of the other Alaska ports we have not seen.

These photos were taken on the ship on Deck 14 & Deck 15 once we were back on board. We are docked in Skagway and it is late afternoon. The last photo is of the Calypso Reef & Pool Area which has a retractable roof that can be fully closed as it was for our cruise.

There always seemed to be something playing on MUTS whether a movie, a music video, a concert or the bridge cam.

No matter where we were out on deck, there was something beautiful to see.

Mary_1009-1024x768.jpg

Mary_1010-1024x768.jpg

Mary_1018-768x1024.jpg

Mary_1026-1024x768.jpg

Mary_1029-1024x768.jpg

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/07/cruise-review-day-5-grand-princess-skagway-may-23-2013-friday-part-5/

It doesn’t seem possible it is already time to leave Skagway. We had a wonderful time and the day went quickly. We literally walked for hours. Sure glad I got good jogging shoes for walking. Made such a difference … I had happy feet.

Mary_1049-768x1024.jpg

Mary_1050-768x1024.jpg

Mary_1051-1024x768.jpg

Mary_1068-1024x768.jpg'

Mary_1062-1024x768.jpg

Hal_0479-1024x768.jpg

Tomorrow we arrive in Glacier Bay. We are both so excited. It will be our first time to see it. I have wonderful photos of my Mom & Dad at Glacier Bay from years ago. I’m sure they will be there in spirit tomorrow with us.

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/07/cruise-review-day-5-grand-princess-skagway-may-23-2013-friday-part-6/

I just read a good review of the Norwegian Sun. They were in Skagway and Glacier Bay the same day as us. I was going back through some of my photos and realized that I had photos of them in Skagway. I’m going to post them here to share.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1852790

Review by RetiredArmyCruiser on CruiseCritic

Here’s the photos I took of the Norwegian Sun in Skagway. These were taken as we were walking into town from the Grand Princess:

Hal_0389-1024x768.jpg

Hal_0390-1024x768.jpg

Mary_1007-1024x768.jpg

Edited by MilliesMom

Mary... We board the Grand Sunday for our Alaskan adventure and cannot tell you how much I am enjoying your day by day. Thank you so much for sharing. You've gotten me even more excited, if that's even possible!!! :)

Mary... We board the Grand Sunday for our Alaskan adventure and cannot tell you how much I am enjoying your day by day. Thank you so much for sharing. You've gotten me even more excited, if that's even possible!!! :)

You are going to LOVE IT!!! It truly was a cruise of a lifetime for us. I'm glad my review has added to your excitement. I would go back and do this again in a heartbeat.

Wishing you calm seas and good weather!!! Have a wonderful time. Looking forward to hearing all about it when you return.

OceanNerd ... tip for you in Glacier Bay:

Go up to Deck 15 as far forward as possible ... if you stand in the middle at the center, it will be windy & cold. We stood between the center point and the port corner there. Once you are close to the glacier, the ship basically stops (or feels that way). It will gradually start to turn, We followed down the port side as it turned and keep the glacier in sight at all times. Got some magnificent photos and video as a result. You will be in front of the glacier at least an hour I'm sure. If you see a ship photographer, get them to take your photo with the glacier in the background. We had to have it. Two different photographers took our photo (they ask first and you are NOT obligated to purchase). One didn't have the complete glacier behind us, one did. So it made the choice easy for us.

We got some fantastic jackets in the gift shop on board, and I did go down and purchase a scarf/shawl that I wrapped around my neck. The girls in the gift shop said earlier in the cruise they had a night of sales for the scarves etc. It may have been the night be got the 30% off our Alaska Jackets. I was warm except for my neck/chin area, so the scarf was a wonderful accessory for me. It was $7 or $9. We really bundled in Glacier Bay. It is so cold out, but worth every minute of being outside. We ended up being toasty warm. We stayed out for hours as we were out on deck or on our balcony on the way in, there, and back out. Such beauty. We didn't want to miss a thing.

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/07/cruise-review-day-5-grand-princess-skagway-may-23-2013-friday-part-7/

I just received permission from RetiredArmyCruiser on CruiseCritic to post the photos he took of the Grand Princess. He was on the Norwegian Sun at the same time we were on the Grand Princess. He took photos of our ship docked in Skagway and also as they were going into Glacier Bay and we were leaving. If you would like to read his review, it is posted here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1852790

He really has some good photos plus lots of great information about his experience too.

GrandPrincessSkagwayRetiredArmyCruiser.jpg

Here we are in Skagway. I believe it is the Carnival Miracle in front of the Grand Princess.

GrandPrincessGlacierBayRetiredGuy.jpg

This is a great photo of the Grand Princess leaving Glacier Bay. I’m sure many of us were waving as we passed by each other.

Skagway was our favorite port of the three Alaskan cruises we went to. A lot of history which you could almost feel just walking around. We started to follow a tour group --turned out to be a free tour given by the US Rangers, which ends up at the Moore House (also free admission but there's a donation box at the door).