Day by Day Cruise Review: Grand Princess Alaska/Glacier Bay May 20, 2013

MilliesMom

Thank you. If you would like to read more about our meeting, Princess showcased our story last year on their blog:

http://inspiredtocruise.com/2012/09/enough-adventure-and-love-to-last-a-lifetime/

As I was writing my cruise review, it kept reminding me of things we had done and brought so many smiles to my day. Also made me want to cruise MORE, but have to wait now till next May to go again.

That is the sweetest thing ever! Thank you for sharing! :) Enjoy your next cruise in May.

Mary, I remember reading that story last year but did not put the faces to the names until now! What an awesome story, I can see why Alaska is so special to you two!

That is the sweetest thing ever! Thank you for sharing! :) Enjoy your next cruise in May.

Thank you both. We love sharing our story with others. Over the years we have met others who met on a cruise and married too. Most were the whirlwind romances/courtships. Hal and I tease we never went on a date before we got engaged!!!! :D

MilliesMom

Thank you for your wonderful review and great photos.

I will start looking at cruises to Alaska soon. We did sail on the Dawn in 2008 out of SF on a 10 day. We LOVED it!

Thanks again sharing your cruise with all of us.

Mike

MilliesMom

Thank you for your wonderful review and great photos.

I will start looking at cruises to Alaska soon. We did sail on the Dawn in 2008 out of SF on a 10 day. We LOVED it!

Thanks again sharing your cruise with all of us.

Mike

MilliesMom,

Forgot to add what was the price for the Ketchikan duck tour? It looks like a blast.

Thank you!

Mike

you are very welcome. You are going to love the cruise to Alaska. It compares top on the list.

I went back through the Excursion package they gave us after we boarded ... The 10:30 am Duck Tour was listed as sold out, so if you want the tour time book early. 2 1/2 hour tour from start to end.

Other times were 12:30 pm and 1:00 pm.

COST: $45 Adults and $31 child (this is through Princess)

Glad you enjoyed my review.

Edited by MilliesMom

you are very welcome. You are going to love the cruise to Alaska. It compares top on the list.

I went back through the Excursion package they gave us after we boarded ... The 10:30 am Duck Tour was listed as sold out, so if you want the tour time book early. 2 1/2 hour tour from start to end.

Other times were 12:30 pm and 1:00 pm.

COST: $45 Adults and $31 child (this is through Princess)

Glad you enjoyed my review.

Thank you! that's a great price.

I looked on Princess.com and went under Excursion and it was not listed.

Mike

Thank you! that's a great price.

I looked on Princess.com and went under Excursion and it was not listed.

Mike

Mike, I went by the brochures they gave us in the cabin. It is called:

KTN-660 Town & Harbor Duck Tour ... our brochure shows the prices I listed above.

here's the general link to it on Princess. When you book, you book through your personalizer:

http://www.princess.com/find/excursion/exDetails.do?tourCode=KTN-660&t=A&exType=S Be sure to watch the video too, it's different than I posted earlier.

Edited by MilliesMom

Mike, I went by the brochures they gave us in the cabin. It is called:

KTN-660 Town & Harbor Duck Tour ... our brochure shows the prices I listed above.

here's the general link to it on Princess. When you book, you book through your personalizer:

http://www.princess.com/find/excursion/exDetails.do?tourCode=KTN-660&t=A&exType=S Be sure to watch the video too, it's different than I posted earlier.

Thank you very much! very nice of you to post the link.

Mike

Don't know for sure as we were on the Star back in 2003, pre-International Cafe, but I remember reading that the gelato is only available at the ICs that were built on new ships, and not on the retrofitted ones. Which would mean that it's not available on the IC. Okay by me, as ice cream is basically my dessert at home, so I usually just go for desserts I only get on a cruise ship such as the souffles (it became a running joke with our last waitstaff that if there's a souffle on the dessert menu, that's what I'm going to have).

Don't know for sure as we were on the Star back in 2003' date=' pre-International Cafe, but I remember reading that the gelato is only available at the ICs that were built on new ships, and not on the retrofitted ones. Which would mean that it's not available on the IC. Okay by me, as ice cream is basically my dessert at home, so I usually just go for desserts I only get on a cruise ship such as the souffles (it became a running joke with our last waitstaff that if there's a souffle on the dessert menu, that's what I'm going to have).[/quote']

Oh Patty, don't tell me that!!!! I'm so disappointed. It won't cause me to cancel our cruise, but I wasn't thrilled with the ice cream on board and just knew the gelato would be amazing. Oh well, back to my favorite chocolate chip cookies.

I did find this tho about the sushi ...

Vines Wine and Seafood Bar

Vines Wine and Seafood Bar serves a selection of unique new- and old-world vintage wines along with gourmet delicacies.

You can enjoy wine flights or a wide selection of wines by the glass. A daily selection of sushi and tapas are also available and are complimentary with any beverage purchase.

Available on Caribbean, Golden and Star princess, the Vines shop offers an extensive collection of hard-to-find wines available for purchase, as well as branded products from Cadbury, Godiva and more..

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/piazza/index.html

I'm sure someone who's been on the Star can say for sure. I guess you'll have to book a cruise on the Crown when it comes over here on the West Coast as it probably has the gelato. Just not a covered pool' date=' though.[/quote']

Covered pool isn't a deal breaker either.

Future cruises .... oh, to dream, to plan, to achieve!!!

We are booked on the Grand Princess "Duck Tour" in Ketchikan next month and looking forward to it.

Thank you for sharing your love story It's no wonder you choose to cruise to Alaska over and over again!

Thank you for the thorough review and the fabulous photos! It really is very nice of you to take the time to write such a detailed review that helped answer a lot of questions I had too.

It definitely helps those of us planning/looking forward to our trips too - your efforts are well appreciated.

We are booked on the Grand Princess "Duck Tour" in Ketchikan next month and looking forward to it.

Thank you for sharing your love story It's no wonder you choose to cruise to Alaska over and over again!

I think it will be a very fun excursion. Definitely something out of the ordinary. I envy you going to Alaska next month. I'm ready to go back now. Here in the Phoenix area we have been at 105+ for the last week.

Yes, Alaska is very special to us. We don't get to cruise there as often as we would like, but it is definitely our top choice.

Thank you for the thorough review and the fabulous photos! It really is very nice of you to take the time to write such a detailed review that helped answer a lot of questions I had too.

It definitely helps those of us planning/looking forward to our trips too - your efforts are well appreciated.

You are very welcome. I'm glad you found it helpful. I also have a cruise blog that focuses on the West Coast cruising & Alaska. So lots more information there too:

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/

If you have other questions, let me know. I will definitely try to answer them for you.

Have a wonderful cruise to Alaska. It is the BEST!!!

thank you so much for the time and effort you have out into these postings. Sailing mid July on Sapphire Princess. Your pictures are fabulous!

Thank you. We had such a wonderful time on the cruise. I know you will too. Nothing beats Alaska (my opinion). Enjoy.

Mary, did you happen to notice if they had the "On Deck for the Cure" 5k walk? I think it's usually the last sea day.

I'm not Mary, but was on the same cruise with her. Yes they did have the "On Deck for the Cure" walk, on the last day.

I'm not Mary, but was on the same cruise with her. Yes they did have the "On Deck for the Cure" walk, on the last day.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I planned on doing the walk on our Emerald cruise last year, but we ended up staying up sooo late the night before, hanging out with our daughter and the other singers and dancers, that I did not make it there. This year it is a little more personal for me since my sister has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankfully, she is doing great, but it's a long process and a long time to be worried about a recurrence. So I'm definitely planning on participating this cruise (In 15 DAYS - YAY!):)

A question from one of our family members sailing on the Grand with us next week... does Princess provide shampoo, conditioner or body wash in the shower like they do on Carnival?

I read that the new Royal Princess has this, but have never seen it in shower pics from the Grand or heard about it on CC.

Edited by cardqb