Wine Tour from La Rochelle

wesail7seas

Does anyone know a private company that will pick up at La Rochelle for a wine tour of St.Emilion?

We are docking there in September.It seems to be quite a distance from Bordeaux and the wineries,and the few companies that I contacted won't come out that far.:(

Thanks.

Marg

That's a pretty long ride (at least 2 hours each way) which is why you will find few published tours. You could certainly just hire a private car/driver and pay the 500+ Euros for the day. Another much cheaper option is to simply rent a car and drive yourself (driving in France is pretty easy). Having spent quite a bit of time driving in France (and visiting many wineries) you might want to consider the shorter trip to Cognac. Not sure if you are Cognac fans (I love the stuff) but we really enjoyed visiting several of the Cognac houses and the area has its charm.

Hank

That's a pretty long ride (at least 2 hours each way) which is why you will find few published tours. You could certainly just hire a private car/driver and pay the 500+ Euros for the day. Another much cheaper option is to simply rent a car and drive yourself (driving in France is pretty easy). Having spent quite a bit of time driving in France (and visiting many wineries) you might want to consider the shorter trip to Cognac. Not sure if you are Cognac fans (I love the stuff) but we really enjoyed visiting several of the Cognac houses and the area has its charm.

Hank

Thanks Hank.

Now I know why the ship charges $300.00 pp for a tour to St.Emilion!:rolleyes:

Marg

Thanks Hank.

Now I know why the ship charges $300.00 pp for a tour to St.Emilion!:rolleyes:

Marg

Just think about this.....a couple taking that tour will spend $600. If there is a group of 4 it will cost $1200. That same group of 4 can rent a car and do the same thing for about $120. Sounds like a no-brainer to me...but then we are often not clear thinkers :)

Hank

• 1 month later...

When are you going on the cruise? I'm going on the Infinity Spet 6th. I also want to go to St Emilion and find the cost really high. I looked into renting a car. It costs over $200 plus a taxi to the airport. It's impossible to go by train. You first have to go to Bordeaux so the total trip is 4 hours.

When are you going on the cruise? I'm going on the Infinity Spet 6th. I also want to go to St Emilion and find the cost really high. I looked into renting a car. It costs over $200 plus a taxi to the airport. It's impossible to go by train. You first have to go to Bordeaux so the total trip is 4 hours.

Hey Chuchi,

Go on the Celebrity Infinity Sept.6th Roll Calls site.There are a bunch of private tours already arranged,but you might still find new ones popping up,as well as some good ideas shared.

• 2 months later...
I reserved a Graves Wine Tour from the Cruise Company. I am not sure that the $300 is worth the experience. Has anyone taken this excursion before?

I went on the cruise in Sept. I took the $300 St Emilion tour and did not think it was worth it. I really wanted to see St Emilion and that was the only way to get there. The tour consisted of a 1 hour tour of the church at St Emilion then lunch at a vineyard which was right in town. We walked to it. I could have seen the church myself and had lunch anywhere. I was very disappointed with that tour.

Archived