Carnival Splendor Cruise Review with Photos!

Thanks so much for your review. I'm trying to convince myself to try the Thanksgiving (Canadian) sailing on the Splendor this year. We've always sailed out of Florida but it would be so nice to just drive to the port and save the airfare. Your photos of sailing out of the New York port almost have me convinced.

You're welcome!

Sailing out of New York city is amazing! Everyone who enjoys cruising should experience it at least once in their lifetime! :)

Hey YankeeFan,

I can't thank you enough!!! My wife and kids are very light sleepers and we had booked room #8328 and never realized that it was directly under the pool area, so thanks to your post we were able to switch rooms early enough that there were still plenty of good rooms to choose from. Your review was very informative and entertaining, and for that I say THANK YOU!!!:)

Hey YankeeFan,

I can't thank you enough!!! My wife and kids are very light sleepers and we had booked room #8328 and never realized that it was directly under the pool area, so thanks to your post we were able to switch rooms early enough that there were still plenty of good rooms to choose from. Your review was very informative and entertaining, and for that I say THANK YOU!!!:)

You're very welcome! Have a great cruise! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Brief introduction

My wife and I sailed the May 1st Splendor cruise out of New York to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. It was our 9th cruise overall but our first time on the Splendor. We’ve previously sailed this exact itinerary on the Carnival Miracle 3 times out of NYC. We are 31 and 35, married with no kids, from Canada.

Some of you may have read my other photo review of our adventures on the Norwegian Gem during hurricane Sandy. If not, feel free to check it out, the link is in my signature!

Me

33aql4m.jpg

My beautiful wife

2z6towg.jpg

We made the 8.5 hour drive from Canada a few nights before and stayed at my dad’s, who lives in Edgewater NJ, right across the Hudson River from Manhattan. We always love to cruise from New York since I don’t like to fly and we can park at my dad’s place for free. Plus I get to visit and spend some time with him!

Day 1

Embarkation

We arrived around noon and proceeded through security without incident. After a brief lineup to check-in, we were on board by 1:00 PM. We dropped our carry-on bag in our room and proceeded directly to the lido buffet for lunch. Overall, embarkation was very smooth and efficient. Originally I had booked an inside cabin on deck 7 but two weeks before our sailing the prices for this cruise dropped dramatically and since we were booked as Early Saver, we did get the difference in OBC...the only catch was we had to switch to a cabin on deck 8, right under the pool area. More on that later.

Overall the food was very good. Lots of variety to choose from: Pizza, burgers, Indian food, rotisserie chicken, steaks, seafood, salads etc. You will definitely not go hungry!

Enjoy your first cruise on the Splendor, she's a great ship with a terrific crew and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Hi! Thanks for posting these reviews. We just got off the Gem and I am thinking about taking the Splendor next spring. Can you eat lunch in the main dining rooms? How were the ports? Did you get tables for 2? Thanks!

Danielle

HI! I am thinking of taking the Splendor to the Easter Carr next year. How was it?

Overall it was a nice relaxing cruise. We did notice a few cutbacks in the dining room and the entertainment but for the price we paid it was great! :)

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

Hi! Thanks for posting these reviews. We just got off the Gem and I am thinking about taking the Splendor next spring. Can you eat lunch in the main dining rooms? How were the ports? Did you get tables for 2? Thanks!

Danielle

Although we didn't eat lunch in the dining rooms, it was available every day except on embarkation day.

The ports were great for us since we love to hang out and relax on a beach. Grand Turk has a nice beach right at the port, Half Moon Cay is the most gorgeous island with very soft, baby powder like sand and Nassau has some nice beaches within a 10-15 minute cab ride from the pier.

We had no trouble getting a table for 2 and only had to wait once or twice. (approx 15 minutes)

I hope this helps! :)

• 4 weeks later...

You helped me to decide whether or not to book the Splendor or NCL Breakaway...I was so looking forward to booking a fall cruise on the Breakaway but when I compared the prices the Splendor comes in $850 less for the two of us plus it's one night longer! Your review convinced me that the Splendor sounds just fine! Guess I'll have to wait until the Breakaway comes down in price...

Thanks!

You helped me to decide whether or not to book the Splendor or NCL Breakaway...I was so looking forward to booking a fall cruise on the Breakaway but when I compared the prices the Splendor comes in $850 less for the two of us plus it's one night longer! Your review convinced me that the Splendor sounds just fine! Guess I'll have to wait until the Breakaway comes down in price...

Thanks!

I really loved the Splendor! Have a great cruise! If 6485 or 6450 aft wrap cabins are still available - they are fantastic!

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Splendor!

Check back after September 22 as I will be cruising the Breakaway and will post a review.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Splendor!

Check back after September 22 as I will be cruising the Breakaway and will post a review.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Just a heads up: Yankees are having a tribute to Mo on 9/22. :eek:;)

Thanks so much for your review! I enjoyed it very much!

I am sailing the Splendor in Sept. and I must say, it has one of the ugliest decors I've ever seen LOL! But as you said- I'll just take it as one aspect of the "FUNship experience".

It sounds like you had a wonderful cruise! Your pics look amazing- they are so clear and you got great shots without many people in them! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thanks so much for your review! I enjoyed it very much!

I am sailing the Splendor in Sept. and I must say, it has one of the ugliest decors I've ever seen LOL! But as you said- I'll just take it as one aspect of the "FUNship experience".

It sounds like you had a wonderful cruise! Your pics look amazing- they are so clear and you got great shots without many people in them! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You're very welcome! Have a great cruise! :)

I remember in one of my cruises on conquest, i think it was 07 or 08 being on cozumel beach and walking from the beach and had my yankee cap on and another Yankee fan on cruise tells me we made the playoffs and i'm positive we danced together. Not a good picture of 2 men dancing in the water...lol My wife and his wife shaked their heads...lol:D:D:D

I remember in one of my cruises on conquest, i think it was 07 or 08 being on cozumel beach and walking from the beach and had my yankee cap on and another Yankee fan on cruise tells me we made the playoffs and i'm positive we danced together. Not a good picture of 2 men dancing in the water...lol My wife and his wife shaked their heads...lol:D:D:D

I would have been right there dancing with the 2 of you!!! :D

Thanks so much for the insight.

Just a few questions..as we'll be traveling Splendor out of NYC in Feb 2014! WOO-HOO!!

Can we have breakfast and lunch in the Main Dining Room?

Is the coffee at the coffee bar free?

We chose late dinner seating...will this interfere with any shows that we may want to see?

Will we need to pay extra for the sushi bar or Indian restaurant?

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the insight.

Just a few questions..as we'll be traveling Splendor out of NYC in Feb 2014! WOO-HOO!!

Can we have breakfast and lunch in the Main Dining Room?

Is the coffee at the coffee bar free?

We chose late dinner seating...will this interfere with any shows that we may want to see?

Will we need to pay extra for the sushi bar or Indian restaurant?

Thanks again!

Hi there, here are the answers to your questions:

1. Traditional breakfast in the dining room is only served on port days. Sea days offer the Punchliner Comedy Brunch which takes place between 9:00 AM and 1:00 PM. As far as I know, lunch is served everyday in one of the dining rooms however the menu is the same throughout the week.

2. The coffee at the coffee bar is not free, but it is much better than the regular free coffee offered throughout the ship. If I remember correctly, the prices were between $3 - $5 depending on the size and beverage type.

3. Usually they offer 2 show times for the same show. People with the late dinner seating can watch the early show before dinner and people with the early dinner will watch the late show after dinner.

4. The sushi bar and Indian buffet are both free and delicious!

I hope this helps, enjoy your cruise! :)

• 3 months later...

Hi!

We are boarding the Splendor tomorrow and I stumbled upon your review yesterday. Thanks for all the details and photos. We live in Edgewater too and considered taking the Ferry but when I read that it was 12 blocks (doesn't look that far) I'm glad we opted for a ride in. Not to mention that it's going to be all of 34 degrees tomorrow and we have a 6 year old.

Read your gem review - more for the Sandy aspect than the cruise and just grateful that we should be out of hurricane season at this point.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again!

Christina

First time cruiser!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app