Getting from London to Dover

yeagers

We are on the 7/20 Baltic cruise and are staying in London for a few days prior to the cruise. Can anyone tell me the best way to get from downtown London to cruise terminal at Dover?

Thanks in advance

You could get private transfers would be the most cost effective especially if you can find another couple to share.

Check the Yahoo Oceania cruise board maybe someone on the same cruise will share the ride.

We are on the 7/20 Baltic cruise and are staying in London for a few days prior to the cruise. Can anyone tell me the best way to get from downtown London to cruise terminal at Dover?

Thanks in advance

I have read that some people have taken the train.. but , I think if you do that you would need to take a taxi from the train station to the dock..in any event

we hired a driver from a company called Alpha limousines and that was very easy.

http://www.alphalimos.com./

Hi!

My husband and I are on the same sailing asyou are. We signed up for the precruise package with Oceania, which includes transportation and transfers to the dock. LAst year we spent $300 in car fare to drive from London to Southampton; we figured it was a better deal to go with the ship's transportation. We're staying at the Crown Plaza....maybe we could meet you in London? We've been there several times and are looking for something new and interesting to do there. Please email me directly if you want to go further.

Terri50@aol.com

When we were on a Renaissance cruise (Dover to Stockholm) in May 2001 we took the BUS. It was very cheap and convenient. Yes, it took about 4 hours. We picked up the bus at Heathrow and went in to Victoria Station where we had about a half hour wait for the second bus that went to Dover. It was a scenic ride and the bus was very comfortable. Back then we paid 39 pounds for the two of us (one way). I haven't checked rates lately but you can buy the tickets on the internet, print your voucher and pick up the tickets at the airport.

The train I think costs about the same, but may take a little less time.

When we got to Dover it was a very cheap cab ride to our hotel (which was quite close to the docks).

Ship tours are expensive, private cars are even more expensive (unless you have another couple or two to share), but the train and/or bus are quite comfortable.

We DID go in a day ahead and wished we'd gone in two days early. There's a fair amount to see in Dover, especially the Castle and WWII tunnels. Leeds Castle and Canterbury are reasonable day trips from Dover.

We'll be in Dover again next June for an Oceania cruise and we intend to spend several days there rather than just flying on through.

Hi,

When we were going on the Baltic Cruise in 2003, people were using Steve at

http://www.airport-transfers.fsnet.co.uk. We tried to book him, but he was already booked. He was really well recommended on this board and Yahoo. You can go to the website and email him re his rates. We went into Dover a day early and toured the tunnels under the Dover Castle. They were used during WWII and they use sound effects to tell the story. You can put "Dover Castle" in the search mode on Fodors or Frommers to read all about it. The driver can take you into Canterbury on the way to Dover. We were supposed to do that also, but were delayed in NYC during the blackout of August, 2003. We stayed at a charming B&B and even met a gal who was going to swim the channel.

Sheila

Archived