Emerald Princess Baltic trip report - May 23-June 3, 2013 (with pictures and patters)

dnylla, LOVE reading your reviews and tips and pictures! I'm leaving for the cruise in a week so this is really helping a lot! :)

dnylla/chuck99, did you note down the name of the stall where you bought your reindeer and salmon soup? Since both of you found it delicious, I wouldn't mind going for the same stall! :)

Yeah, the sea was rough on the second sea day. I've got my camera ready this time but unfortunately no disaster

Agreed, didn't know Rudolf tasted this good ;). The creamy salmon soup was also delicious

Again, many thanks for posting a very unbiased and truthful trip report. Your photos and commentary should be most helpful to anyone researching this itinerary. I've printed off most of your writings and am constantly checking to see what we have scheduled compared to what you and your sister did. I'm feeling better each day that we'll be as prepared as we can be for this adventure and I'll post my thoughts when we return, too!

Jennifer

You mentioned in an earlier post that you left the hotel to get breakfast. I am surprised it was not included in the Princess hotel/transfer package. It seems booking that way is often more expensive than doing it yourself. For the premium one pays, I'd have thought breakfast would be included. Did you know when you booked that breakfast was not part of the deal?

We did the package once when we were sailing from Rome because the port is a good distance from town. In that case breakfast was included even though the Princess rep was not sure that it would be when I asked about it at booking. It would be nice if the package specified what is included so one knows what to expect.

Thanks for your review. I enjoyed it and the pictures. I especially appreciate the planning tips and the points you made about the various ports.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you left the hotel to get breakfast. I am surprised it was not included in the Princess hotel/transfer package. It seems booking that way is often more expensive than doing it yourself. For the premium one pays, I'd have thought breakfast would be included. Did you know when you booked that breakfast was not part of the deal?

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your report. It's been so helpful. I'm also not an experienced cruiser, so it's nice to read such a recent report from a newer cruiser.

I was curious about breakfast too. We are going in July and initially were planning to book the Kong Arthur through Princess, but then found I could do it cheaper on my own. The package doesn't mention breakfast. Our travel agent told us it was included, but I was skeptical so I called Princess. The agent wasn't positive but assumed since it wasn't mentioned it wasn't included.

Thanks again!

Fantastic review. Although we went to the same places at different times, seeing your pictures and reading your notes is like reliving the trip all over again.

I'm in my early thirties and I agree with you that we're definitely in the minority

dnylla/chuck99, did you note down the name of the stall where you bought your reindeer and salmon soup? Since both of you found it delicious, I wouldn't mind going for the same stall! :)

This is the one I went to.

IMG_20130531_120928_zps63ba4c7d.jpg

I believe it's called Lappland Foods which is located at the north west side of the Kauppatori "Market Square"

What was your overall impression of the Hotel Kong Arthur in Copenhagen? We are staying there in Sept before our transatlantic with Princess.

Nbc, we liked Kong Arthur. It was not right by Tivoli, but my sister and I had no trouble walking the distance there or the other places we went in Copenhagen. I think that if walking a lot was an issue there was a subway station near but not right by the hotel. The room we had (sorry, no pictures) was surprisingly big for a European hotel. There was even a small desk and sitting area. The shower in the bathroom got most of the floor wet, but that was the only issue (and a minor one at that). There are a few stairs by the entryway and to get to the elevator, but there was an elevator available to get up to the rooms, unlike some older European hotels that just don’t have the space. When I’m traveling DIY I tend to stay at cheaper places but my sister and I both would stay at Hotel Kong Arthur again.

dnylla, LOVE reading your reviews and tips and pictures! I'm leaving for the cruise in a week so this is really helping a lot! :)

Thanks Piyley! I hope you enjoy your cruise!

I’m pretty sure we ate at the same stall that chuck99 did based on the picture. It was easy to find. I think that the same company may actually have a couple, one near the Esplanade and one on the other side of the market square (the side closer to Uspenski Cathedral)

Again, many thanks for posting a very unbiased and truthful trip report. Your photos and commentary should be most helpful to anyone researching this itinerary. I've printed off most of your writings and am constantly checking to see what we have scheduled compared to what you and your sister did. I'm feeling better each day that we'll be as prepared as we can be for this adventure and I'll post my thoughts when we return, too!

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer! I’m glad to be of help (and once again I'm sorry about my typos and errors, hopefully they're not worse printed out). I’m looking forward to reading about your trip later on!

We did the package once when we were sailing from Rome because the port is a good distance from town. In that case breakfast was included even though the Princess rep was not sure that it would be when I asked about it at booking. It would be nice if the package specified what is included so one knows what to expect.

Thanks for your review. I enjoyed it and the pictures. I especially appreciate the planning tips and the points you made about the various ports.

Thanks Babr! I think when we were planning I had read another review where someone booked the pre-cruise stay and they said breakfast was not included. Then once we arrived at the hotel and checked in no one at the front desk or the hospitality table said anything about breakfast, which I think would have come up in conversation or in the form of vouchers if it was included. There is a restaurant at Hotel Kong Arthur but it is on the smaller side and perhaps 2-3 buses of people getting free breakfast would have overwhelmed it? I agree, it is always nice when the packages clearly state what is included, especially when it involves breakfast

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your report. It's been so helpful. I'm also not an experienced cruiser, so it's nice to read such a recent report from a newer cruiser.

I was curious about breakfast too. We are going in July and initially were planning to book the Kong Arthur through Princess, but then found I could do it cheaper on my own. The package doesn't mention breakfast. Our travel agent told us it was included, but I was skeptical so I called Princess. The agent wasn't positive but assumed since it wasn't mentioned it wasn't included.

Thanks again!

You’re welcome bdayceleb. I did not ask about breakfast when we were there, since I had read previously that breakfast was extra and no one said anything to us when checking in. If you are not sure you could always ask at the hotel (I know that does not help much with planning though) There is breakfast available at the restaurant and it sounded like some of the people checking in with us planned to just eat there instead of going out. So if you book on your own that would still be an option

Fantastic review. Although we went to the same places at different times, seeing your pictures and reading your notes is like reliving the trip all over again.

I'm in my early thirties and I agree with you that we're definitely in the minority

Thanks chuck99! Yay for cruising in the minority (might as well enjoy it while we can ;))

Edited by dnylla

I noticed in your review your steward was named Jonathan. What cabin were you in? We were in C423 and he was our steward for 27 days. I always saw him with a smile and loved that he was always available but without being intrusive. Great steward!

I noticed in your review your steward was named Jonathan. What cabin were you in? We were in C423 and he was our steward for 27 days. I always saw him with a smile and loved that he was always available but without being intrusive. Great steward!

Grammyluvs, we were in C415, so I'm sure it was the same Jonathan. I agree, he did a fantastic job

Thank you so much for your review and detail of the various Baltic ports. We will be going to many of these ports next year and this information was really helpful.

you're welcome mj_holiday! have fun with planning (then taking) your cruise next year

Thank you so much for all your information and posts!! We are sailing on the Emerald later this month and booked rather last minute. It sounds like the port talks were rather helpful. Would you say that some decisions about options in ports (except St Pete) can still be made once we've heard the port talk if we don't have much time to research ahead? Many Thanks!

Great review. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks mycruise2000! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it

Thank you so much for all your information and posts!! We are sailing on the Emerald later this month and booked rather last minute. It sounds like the port talks were rather helpful. Would you say that some decisions about options in ports (except St Pete) can still be made once we've heard the port talk if we don't have much time to research ahead? Many Thanks!

love4cruisin, I think that for most of the ports (except St Pete, as you noted) you could decide what to do after the port talk. And they were informative, even for my sister and I who often knew what we planned to do in port. John Lawrence usually gave ideas on how to get to the points of interest and he was also available throughout the cruise to answer any questions you might have (I think his table was by the Wheelhouse Bar).

Warnemunde might be the only port that you may want to research ahead of time, just because there are options that range from Warnemunde/Rostock to locations that are not too far away, like Schwerin, to making the journey to Berlin. Because of all the options the port talk for Warnemunde also felt like it was not quite as in-depth as others. If we were not on the shore excursion I would've liked to have had at least some ideas and information about how to get around before the port talk, (but I’m also somewhat OCD and like to know as much as possible before hand). From what I remember reading in the Patters, shore excursions can be booked up to the last minute as long as they are not sold out, so if nothing in John Lawrence’s port talks appealed to you that is always an option.

Edited by dnylla

Dnylla

I thoroughly enjoyed reading of your cruise and your adventures. I'm not sure if I missed it or just forgot, but where are you from?

Funny though, on our cruise we found Stockholm to be the best port we visited. It was also our shortest stop but we had a bit more time. We were just fascinated by the Vasa, and Gamla Stan was mesmerizing. We loved to explore, and these narrow cobblestone Streets were just the thing.

I am so glad you had a great time.

If you ever do go back and I am saying this only as a piece of info. In St Petersburg, you had encountered all that traffic and there was nothing Princess could do about that. Many of the private tour companies could though. Then know when and were these things are and they just rearrange their schedules so these 'jams' are avoided. Like they might have gotten you out of the city that day to Catherine's Palace or Peterhoff even if they were scheduled for the first day. They have the flexibility to do that, the cruise lines do not.

But if you and your sis were satisfied, that's all that counts.

I am curious about one thing though. Another cruiser on Princess mentioned that they had to get tickets or something like that to disembark the ship. I didn't see you mentioning that. Did you have this occur also?

Again, thanks for the great review and just wonderful pixs.

Cheers

Len

I'm not sure if I missed it or just forgot, but where are you from?

I live in the Rocky Mountain area (I travel a lot for my job, but that's a whole 'nother story) My sister is in Southeast Texas, so we met up in Chicago and took a direct SAS flight from there

I am curious about one thing though. Another cruiser on Princess mentioned that they had to get tickets or something like that to disembark the ship. I didn't see you mentioning that. Did you have this occur also?
Because we booked our transfers to and from the ship through Princess we received tickets for our transfer to the airport with our shore excursion tickets at the beginning of the cruise. I'm not sure if people who disembarked independently needed tickets, and if so if they were given the tickets or had to get them from guest services.

I was referring to getting off the ship in St Petersburg. Did they issue you any sort of tickets to say when you can leave the ship?

Are you in Colorado?

My brother is a long time resident in Durango, and we've been out there many times? Just magnificent country (when it isn't burning ;););))

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

I was referring to getting off the ship in St Petersburg. Did they issue you any sort of tickets to say when you can leave the ship?

Are you in Colorado?

My brother is a long time resident in Durango, and we've been out there many times? Just magnificent country (when it isn't burning ;););))

Cheers

Len

yeah, we get a lot of wildfires out here, especially in the past few years :(. But it is beautiful :)

In St. Petersburg we met onboard in the morning because we were doing the Princess shore excursions. At the time I did not notice anything about independent tours being told to wait to disembark, but looking back over the Patters I see that they were "supposed to" go to the Michelangelo dining room before disembarking. I didn't hear how much this was enforced though.

Thanks so much for your wonderful review! I'll be visiting some of the same ports later this summer, and your information and pictures have gotten me even more excited for my trip.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this, and for telling both the good and the bad from your point of view.

Thanks so much for your wonderful review! I'll be visiting some of the same ports later this summer, and your information and pictures have gotten me even more excited for my trip.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this, and for telling both the good and the bad from your point of view.

I'm glad you enjoyed my trip report disneygal94. The Baltics were a fantastic place to cruise, so I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise as much as we did ours!

My sister and I decided to do a girl’s getaway this year and booked the Princess Baltic cruise, after comparing itineraries of a few of the cruise lines offering Baltic cruises. Years ago our family did a Disney cruise and since then I’ve been on a couple river cruises and a cruise in the Greek islands with a smaller, European based cruise line. This is the first time either of us cruised with Princess. I used Cruise Critic a lot when we were anticipating and planning the trip, finding tips and suggestions and forwarding on cruise reports to my sister to read as well. So I decided to return the favor for anyone who will be going on a Baltic cruise in the future. I also kept the Princess Patters to scan and post them with each day’s report. I don’t have this all written yet, but plan to have it completely posted in the next week or so (depending on how real life goes)

We’re in our mid/late 20’s, and pretty active (although you won’t catch either of us running a marathon any time soon). We tried to take the stairs on the Emerald Princess as much as possible. We only took the elevator twice: on embarkation day and after dinner on our day in Oslo. You’ll notice we did a lot of walking, even if public transportation is available, as long as we had the time and the distance wasn’t too far. That’s because I feel like a get a better feel for a place walking around.

I’ve lived in Europe before and traveled around independently and with more organized groups. My sister also came to visit me and we did some travelling then. Sometimes it is worth it to us to pay the slightly higher price and let someone else worry about the logistics, as a result our time in port was usually a mixture of independent and booked shore excursions. I’ve also done some traveling with my Grandmother in Europe, most recently in London last year, so I may include observations for any readers who are older, but still active, along the lines of what I would tell her if she was taking his cruise. I’ll also try to include times and prices of things, although I’m going off of what I put in my notes and unfortunately I did not include everything. Hopefully what I have will be enough to help any readers who are interested and I will try to answer any questions that I can.

Your travel diary has been great reading!! We sail end of July, and are getting more excited as each day passes.

Thanks again.

Michele

Your travel diary has been great reading!! We sail end of July, and are getting more excited as each day passes.

Thanks again.

Michele

Thanks Michele! I'm glad you enjoyed reading my trip report. Enjoy your cruise!

Amazing! Thank you for taking the time to do that. So many of us will enjoy reading it. The details will help us all plan accordingly and help us get excited about upcoming cruises!!!