Fact.. fiction and many questions

VickiD59

I will agree about the cost of the Breakaway. Maybe its because it new and out of NY?? When the Epic first sailed she was a bit more than previous older ships but I was never astonished by the rates. As far as more "for fee" items/ options, I think this actually helps keep the cruise industry going. More options for more types of passengers. I, for one, prefer the freestyle and more current entertainment and thats why I cruise NCL. I cruised Princess in years past and didnt care for the assigned, set time seating. Granted if I was with a large group then that may not have not seemed as bad. I am not always hungry at the same time each night. I think you will enjoy NCL.

I think its fare to say the perception of "nickle and diming" depends on your point of view. NCL offers many options when it comes to dining and other options for relaxation or entertainment. We have been cruising for many years and many different lines and from tat perspective I understand completely why the nickle and diming reputation is many times attached to NCL. Some examples are

NCL has whole sections of decks available only to Haven cabins. They have their own pool, sunning area and even Restaurent.

Its true NCL has many dining options for a fee which most cheerleaders will tell you you don't have to use if you don't want. They will also point out that other cruise lines have pay for upscale dining too. What they don't say is that many foods available in the main dining rooms of most cruise lines is only available in the pay restaurent on NCL. Try and find a shrimp cocktail, escargot, osso boco, creme brulee, decent steak on the NCL main dining menu. You can't they are only available in the upcharge places.

Don't get me wrong, other lines are cutting back and charging for services that use to be free but its clearly more obvious on the NCL line.

For those that sail other lines or been around long enough there is definately a feel of "nickle and Diming"

My point was that you don't have to be nickeled and dimed if you don't want to. One could have a fun time just paying the cruise fare and DSC.

I never went to the MDR on my NCL cruise, because I choose to eat in specialty restaurants, but have seen many reviews of the MDR on NCL where people are very happy with their meals. Will I go to the MDR, probably not, I'll stick to the specialty restaurants, but that is my choice.

I've been on over 30 cruises and have sailed on Celebrity, Crystal, Royal Caribbean, Costa, Princess and I've never felt nickeled and dimed on any of them. Has staff tried to sell me things (spa treatments and products, the stuff in their shops, pictures, etc.) or has the food been better in some of the specialty restaurants, yes, of course. If I want something I pay for it, if I don't I don't.

You can also buy a bar setup, so buy a bottle of vodka for your room and bring on mixers. Yes, the bottle's expensive, but you don't have that option on CCL.

This is actually not true- CCL you can buy bottles of alcohol through Bon Voyage and have them waiting in your room for you. The cost is high- like getting 'bottle service' in a club.

I have greatly enjoyed our three Carnival cruises and look forward to our NCL one, but I have 3 concerns going in. 1) I'm disappointed we can't bring two 'free' bottles of wine, as that is usually enough for my husband for the week (I don't drink)- he just brings a glass down to dinner, so no corkage costs. 2) I'm worried about eating in the MDR, as the menus look sparse and I'm not sure I'll find much to eat. To be fair, on Carnival there are often nights I can't find a main course I'll eat, but I've never had problems finding appetizers, the sample menus I've seen, that looks pretty bare too. 3) I'm also worried about the room- we are in an oceanview, and they look EXTREMELY small, not even a loveseat to sit on!

This is actually not true- CCL you can buy bottles of alcohol through Bon Voyage and have them waiting in your room for you. The cost is high- like getting 'bottle service' in a club.

I have greatly enjoyed our three Carnival cruises and look forward to our NCL one, but I have 3 concerns going in. 1) I'm disappointed we can't bring two 'free' bottles of wine, as that is usually enough for my husband for the week (I don't drink)- he just brings a glass down to dinner, so no corkage costs. 2) I'm worried about eating in the MDR, as the menus look sparse and I'm not sure I'll find much to eat. To be fair, on Carnival there are often nights I can't find a main course I'll eat, but I've never had problems finding appetizers, the sample menus I've seen, that looks pretty bare too. 3) I'm also worried about the room- we are in an oceanview, and they look EXTREMELY small, not even a loveseat to sit on!

That's great that they allow alcohol to be purchased now, they didn't when I cruised, or at least that's what their PCC told me.

I'm not picky but I don't eat everything, I'm kind of in the middle and I've never had an issue finding something enjoyable to eat in the MDR on NCL. Occasionally I've had to decide between 2 entrees, but not as often as in the true "old days" of cruising, which to me was late 1980s early 1990s. Those days are gone on all of the lines, but those prices are also long gone. In 1984 we paid $750 each for 4 to an inside on the Mardi Gras. I can cruise for $500 alone in an inside today, so we need to keep that in mind.

Something else I would suggest is that if there's something on the "everyday" menu that interests you, save it until there's a day when nothing on the revolving menu looks good, as there might be one of those days. The other option is to order a few apps and no entree. The Caesar salad is excellent, so that and another app or soup would be a great meal.

The rooms will be a bit smaller, I cruise with my 2 girlfriends quite a bit and we all do just fine 3 to an inside or OV. NCL is very good with storage, they have that down pat, so you should have full access to the room without "stuff" in the way. Their bathrooms are worlds better than the CCL ones I've been in. No plastic shower curtains to stick to you, and they're really well laid out.

I do hope it all goes well, my first RCI cruise was terrible. My husband and I kept comparing it to CCL which is all we knew at that time and I'm surprised I ever tried another one, it was so bad. We decided to try an NCL and we found our fit. It may not be for everyone, and that's okay, but I know I was an immediate convert.

Archived