Planning a Hawaii cruise in 2014

Ed the sailor man

We would like to cruise the Islands to see the natural beauty and attractions. We have little interest in lying on a beach although a beach break is nice. We do not want to cruise to Hawaii but would rather fly in and cruise to see the most we can.

Questions

1: What is the best time to go to Hawaii? We live in Florida so escaping winter is not a big deal. We are thinking April or May. Stopping over in LA or SF to break up the flight.

2: Are their reputable Hawaii only cruise line?

3: We like upscale within reason. Small to Medium vs. Mega ships

Thanks in advance for your input.

We would like to cruise the Islands to see the natural beauty and attractions. We have little interest in lying on a beach although a beach break is nice. We do not want to cruise to Hawaii but would rather fly in and cruise to see the most we can.

Questions

1: What is the best time to go to Hawaii? We live in Florida so escaping winter is not a big deal. We are thinking April or May. Stopping over in LA or SF to break up the flight.

Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America is the only cruise ship that has cruises that begin and end in the islands. All others you have to transit from the states. You can look on their website for the particulars on that ship or look under Norwegian here on Cruise Critic. :)

Questions

Well, there really isn't a bad time to go to Hawaii. However, if you are at all interested in seeing the whales, February is prime whale season.:)

Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America is the only cruise ship that has cruises that begin and end in the islands. All others you have to transit from the states. You can look on their website for the particulars on that ship or look under Norwegian here on Cruise Critic. :)

No, no, no. You transit from the mainland. Hawaii is a state, and we have been so since 1959.

Un-Cruise Adventures advertises a Hawaii itinerary, but I haven't seen any reviews for them. The water can get quite rough around the Hawaiian islands, so a small boat would be a problem for anyone who experiences sea sickness.

If you don't find a cruise that suits you, Hawaii is a fantastic destination for a land trip.

No, no, no. You transit from the mainland. Hawaii is a state, and we have been so since 1959.

:o, Did I really say that. So sorry. I was just in the Caribbean last week so maybe my brain is still thinking in that context. :D

Un-Cruise Adventures advertises a Hawaii itinerary, but I haven't seen any reviews for them. The water can get quite rough around the Hawaiian islands, so a small boat would be a problem for anyone who experiences sea sickness.

If you don't find a cruise that suits you, Hawaii is a fantastic destination for a land trip.

I will second that, it is very easy to get around as a land trip. we have only taken one cruise from the "mainland" to Hawaii but we have flown over many times. The first time we spent several weeks and went to numerous islands to see what was there.

Since then we usually go for seven days and go to just one island for the trip. The multi-island trip was too much bag packing for me.

Since then we usually go for seven days and go to just one island for the trip. The multi-island trip was too much bag packing for me.

We've done the same thing ... early trips were multi-island, shorter periods of time. Most recent trip in March/April was 4 weeks/2 islands....which was just about perfect.:)

I think there used to be an inter-island line years ago (American Hawaiian?).

Personally if we were going to fly to Hawaii (and not doing the RTs, which we love on Princess), we would do like we did on our honeymoon and select some nice hotels to stay at, and then fly to each island as desired.

Archived