Duty Free / Fee

Dcoy

Hope someone can help. I'm on a world cruise round trip from Ft Lauderdale. We make several stops in other countries, then stop in Hawaii and then directly to San Francisco. After leaving San Francisco, we make several more stops outside the US before the final stop back in Ft Lauderdale.

How would my duty shopping (taxable) be handled? From Ft Lauderdale to Hawaii; Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco or the round trip? I have two days in San Francisco and was thinking about shipping home of the some things that I bought to make it easier to pack and travel at the end of the cruise.

I'm trying to figure out when customs will want to inspect my purchases and collect any money due.:confused: I'm not trying to get out is paying any taxes, just hoping to ship things and make packing easier.

If there is anyone who I did not confuse on this,:eek: do you have any ideas how this works?

Thanks

Don

Firstly, there is no duty free until you leave the US as it is a domestic journey. Probably on your last call in the US for another country you can buy duty free in port or on the ship. Whatever you buy, don't take it off ship again until you get home, then there will be no problem. There is a wealth of information here.. http://www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/search/cruise

This can vary but I think you will go through customs in San Francisco but if not at the end of the cruise. If in San Francisco and the end of the cruise is less then 30 days you cannot get the exemption twice.

I have done cruises like this many times and the exact procedure varies.

Keith

Traveling Shopper & Keith1010

Thanks. I guess I wait and see what happens when I reach San Francisco. If we go through customs then, I'll ask the agent if I can ship the items home at that time.

I'm not worried about going over the exemption limit as I'm going to be very conservative on my shopping. Only a few small gifts for grand daughters and family.

Again thanks for your help on this.

Don

Don, you are very welcome.

Keith

Keith

I've seen your posts on the Cunard Forums. I'm on the QV WV next year. I think that the "gifts" that I receive from Cunard for being on the full voyage need to be declared too. Hope those expensive gifts don't put me over my limet. :D

Don

Don, you technically do need to claim them.

If the cruise began in the USA and they had bought them in the USA and brought them onto the ship that would be a different story but if they have brought them onto the ship and the goods were not from the USA I would play it safe and claim them.

Keith

Don, you technically do need to claim them.

If the cruise began in the USA and they had bought them in the USA and brought them onto the ship that would be a different story but if they have brought them onto the ship and the goods were not from the USA I would play it safe and claim them.

Keith

Keith

Good point. My past life (pre retirement) I was considered a subject mater expert on Accounts Payable (department that pays the companies invoices). So if their invoices are paid in the US, maybe tax would have already been paid on them.:rolleyes:

I agree, I always play on the side of safty and will declare them.

Don

Archived