San Pedro hotels-Doubletree or Crowne Plaza?

langleyfld

Sell me on which hotel is the best option and why?

Does either have free shuttle service, what to do nearby [walking distance], etc.? Anyone used Super Shuttle from either airport to hotel?

Depending on airfares, we are at the moment undecided upon

LAX or LGB. But we have time for that...

We have stayed at both hotels and have enjoyed them both but our fave is the DTI. We like it's park like setting and you can get a room with a great view over the LA Yacht Club. Both offer a free shuttle to and from the San Pedro cruise terminal (not Long Beach) and also to restaurants and attractions within 5 miles of the hotel...but double check this with the CP as the last time we were there they were doing the cruise terminal shuttle but winding down the local shuttle. I should also say that the last couple of times we were at the CP it was becoming a bit thread-bare but still just fine for a one night pre-cruise stay....you can also often get it for $65/$75 by bidding on Priceline.

We have used Super Shuttle a number of times and have been extremely pleased with them...however it is a shuttle and the vans do not leave the airport until they are full or nearly full....in the case of LAX they drive around to the various terminals until full. If you do a Google search you will find a discount code which will save you a couple of dollars if you book online.

When you look at air be sure to consider if you select Long Beach the implication should your flight be cancelled. The upside of Long Beach is that it is less hectic than LAX but the downside is far less flights.

Keith

Awesome advice on hotel comparisons! Never used priceline but will try it. How far in advance can you book a hotel on there?

When we fly to Miami, we usually fly into Ft. Lauderdale, hate Miami airport! But will definitely think about flights into Long Beach.

Sell me on which hotel is the best option and why?

Does either have free shuttle service, what to do nearby [walking distance], etc.? Anyone used Super Shuttle from either airport to hotel?

Depending on airfares, we are at the moment undecided upon

LAX or LGB. But we have time for that...

Everyone has a different opinion as to which one is "better"...it depends on what you are looking for...

In my book, both are good--but each has its positives and negatives...

The Doubletree is on a marina, downchannel from the cruise port ...nice visually, but a little less convenient.

The Crowne Plaza is in the center of "Downtown" San Pedro, what there is of it...think urban city block...but it is extremely convenient to a large number of very good restaurants--all within a couple of blocks walking distance from the hotel...

The Doubletree is a low-lying tewo story complex of buildings, the Crown Plaza is one multi-story downtown-type hotel...

As to LAX vs. LGB, again, trade-offs--LAX is a gargantuan airport--one of the busiest in the world, Long Beach is a very small airport...LGB is a breeze to get in and out of, LAX can take you awhile...But, LAX has a much larger selection of flights, airlines, destinations and flight times...LGB is very limited...It also may be harder to get ground transportation from LGB--as in there may be no shared shuttles available...

Also remember that you are only flying in and out of LAX--one of the biggest problems for those using LAX is for those making connections there--as getting from one terminal to another may be difficult. But merely flying in and out, you only have to get from the gate to the curb and from the curb to the gate...

I think you've sold me on Crowne Plaza-for the reason of walkable to restaurants, etc.

As for the airports, I'll have to check on flights available from RIC to both to decide, but good points!

Thanks for all the thought you put into responding.

I love CC !!

Is priceline one of those services that you have to specify number of stars or is that Hotwire? If so' date=' you might want to know which level to shot for. (can you tell I never bid on travel)[/quote']

use this site to get hotel 3 and one half stars in san pedro...it usually means crowne or doubletree...no bidding necessary...

http://www.priceline.com/promo/expressdeals.do

Archived