Fresh fruit in buffet / mdrs

Archie4

Hi folks will be sailing on POA in November and was just checking on availability of fresh fruit (as in fruit bowl type). I'm diabetic and it's useful to be able to grab a banana or apple as and when required!

Hi folks will be sailing on POA in November and was just checking on availability of fresh fruit (as in fruit bowl type). I'm diabetic and it's useful to be able to grab a banana or apple as and when required!

The is usually a fruit salad always available but whole fruits seem to be available for breakfast only.... so bring a few back to your room with you.... and fruit platters are available via room service

I agree to grab a few at breakfast and take them back to the room or put them in your shoulder bag for the day. Also, if you're in a suite, you can request a fruit basket/bowl as your snackage from the butler...and also ask for things like a pitcher of juice, if you need a quick burst of sugar. I've told the pre-concierge that I have a fruit allergy, so my fruit bowl will not contain the fruit I'm allergic to.

Good luck!

DML

I agree to grab a few at breakfast and take them back to the room or put them in your shoulder bag for the day. Also, if you're in a suite, you can request a fruit basket/bowl as your snackage from the butler...and also ask for things like a pitcher of juice, if you need a quick burst of sugar. I've told the pre-concierge that I have a fruit allergy, so my fruit bowl will not contain the fruit I'm allergic to.

Good luck!

DML

OP: Just a word of warning....you will not be allowed to take any fresh fruit off the ship in any ports in Hawaii and almost anywhere else. They are very particular about this as fresh fruits and produce risks contaminating the local ecosystem.

OP: Just a word of warning....you will not be allowed to take any fresh fruit off the ship in any ports in Hawaii and almost anywhere else. They are very particular about this as fresh fruits and produce risks contaminating the local ecosystem.

Of course! I would have thought that went without saying, but sure...say it. ;) I actually meant to carry it around with you during the day...like to the pool aboard ship, instead of dropping it off in your room.

DML

Actually, since the OP is talking about the POA, all the fruit has been loaded in Honolulu, so it has been cleared by Hawaiian State Dept of Agriculture. All other ships calling on Hawaii will have the restrictions you mention.

I don't know whether the OP has been to Hawaii before or not, but they need to remember not to carry food off the plane in Honolulu. The cute little beagles will zone in on any food items like a laser.

Lol we are arriving on the Thursday before the cruise for a couple of nights and its our first time in Hawaii so thanks for the warning!!! We will scoff everything on our plane from San Francisco !! Lol

Thanks for all the info folks!!

Of course! I would have thought that went without saying, but sure...say it. ;) I actually meant to carry it around with you during the day...like to the pool aboard ship, instead of dropping it off in your room.

DML

I truly meant no offense....however, it was not clear from your post what you meant. :)

Actually, since the OP is talking about the POA, all the fruit has been loaded in Honolulu, so it has been cleared by Hawaiian State Dept of Agriculture. All other ships calling on Hawaii will have the restrictions you mention.

I don't know whether the OP has been to Hawaii before or not, but they need to remember not to carry food off the plane in Honolulu. The cute little beagles will zone in on any food items like a laser.

Maybe this has changed since I was last there. It has been a few years. I sailed on the Star which was making round trips from Honolulu and would have been provisioned the same as you suggest at the time and I can assure you that fresh fruit was not allowed to be taken off the ship at any port. Do you have first hand experience with the situation on the POA to share with the OP?

Maybe this has changed since I was last there. It has been a few years. I sailed on the Star which was making round trips from Honolulu and would have been provisioned the same as you suggest at the time and I can assure you that fresh fruit was not allowed to be taken off the ship at any port. Do you have first hand experience with the situation on the POA to share with the OP?

I worked for 4 years on the Aloha. It most probably was that since the Star went to Fanning Island, this was considered a foreign voyage, and even though nothing was provisioned from Fanning (there's nothing there!), Agriculture still considers the fruit to have been outside Hawaii.

I truly meant no offense....however, it was not clear from your post what you meant. :)

Oh, I'm not offended. Honestly, sometimes I skip steps in my posts that I think everyone knows, forgetting that NOT everyone knows. Thanks for filling in the holes. Honestly.

DML

I worked for 4 years on the Aloha. It most probably was that since the Star went to Fanning Island, this was considered a foreign voyage, and even though nothing was provisioned from Fanning (there's nothing there!), Agriculture still considers the fruit to have been outside Hawaii.

I've read on these good pages that each of the islands is very protective of their individual Eco systems and as a visitor I wouldn't want to disrespect this in any way! If hardy comes to hardy I can always get something in port and support the local economy - kill two birds with one stone (peach hopefully lol). Interesting wee discussion tho!

Archived