Alaska Carnival Miracle May 7-14th

lmtrn2001

Ketchikan continued.

So, the news was not good!! Shona from Island Wings called us back around 9am & said that our flight had to be cancelled due to weather conditions were too bad to fly!! BooHoo!!:( So with no back up plan we walked around & tried to decide what we wanted to do with the day. While walking, we came upon this huge Rain Gauge!!

IMG_1887_zps6eff618a.jpg

We, also, came upon Kat from Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours & decided to take a tour around Ketchikan & over to Totem Bight Park. The tour was $74.00 for both of us for an hour tour. We went with Dave, Kat's husband, Who was a very good tour guide. Very knowledgeable about the area.

This is a floatplane parking lot was saw.

IMG_1897_zps85ff0ac3.jpg

These are from Totem Bight Park

IMG_1900_zps5b4f7471.jpg

IMG_1901_zpsc4558891.jpg

More from Totem Bight. This place kind of reminded me of a fairytale

Forrest.

IMG_1902_zpsee074f1a.jpg

IMG_1930_zps70ba4ab5.jpg

Another Totem Pole

IMG_1922_zpsd92346e4.jpg

This plant is called Skunk Cabbage and it is everywhere. It has a subtle skunk odor but it wasn't unpleasant.

IMG_1903_zps838898cb.jpg

This is the beach area at Totem Bight. The water will be up to the wooden logs at high tide.

IMG_1918_zpsc28ddcbe.jpg

I think Mexican buffet was around 10:30. We all went to bed talked about going to late night buffet. And believe it or not we all woke up to go.

First cruise we were trying to do everything

I'll be at chocolate buffet on a diet now so I can indulge in july

After our tour, we walked around & shopped little then boarded the ship. The line was quite long here due to the gangway having to be raised. It's weird to leave the ship on deck 2 & re-board on deck 3!! We sailed at 1:00pm heading for Victoria, BC

Sailing was rough!! We were having high seas & it was windy & rainy. So much so that they closed the upper open decks & the Adult Serenity Area was also closed.

IMG_2018_zps37b80900.jpg

IMG_1999_zps3d97a8ff.jpg

IMG_2000_zpsff32530a.jpg

The pool was rocking & rolling!!

IMG_2024_zpsd2654fec.jpg

May 13th Sea Day & Victoria, BC

Today was just a lazy day on the ship. We went to a talk on Whales given by the on board Naturalist, Michelle. She was really good!! Very knowledgeable about the glaciers, environment & Animals.

I did a little ship exploration & took a few photos. Sorry, these didn't turn out to good.

These signs were in all the elevator wells. These were very helpful.

IMG_1943_zps81c775ac.jpg

Elevator area

IMG_1944_zps5b133d10.jpg

The Photo area

IMG_1952_zps1c68600c.jpg

Yellow Brick Road...The shopping area

IMG_1954_zps0d846265.jpg

The Piano Bar

IMG_1957_zpsf031d3ef.jpg

Phantom Theater

IMG_1966_zps4794504d.jpg

IMG_1968_zps72c435a3.jpg

Gatsby's Garden...This is an awesome place to just sit & read & look out the windows at the water. It is located Deck 3 all the way forward, right before you go into the Phantom theater.

IMG_1972_zps26d87e3c.jpg

IMG_1973_zps1b1ede0d.jpg

Stairs down to Mad Hatters Ball Lounge.

IMG_1978_zps6cb08b04.jpg

Mad Hatter Ball Lounge

IMG_1980_zps49f67af2.jpg

We were due to get into Victoria at 7:30pm but due to rough seas, we were delayed an hour & didn't arrive til 8:30pm. It was cold & getting late so we decided to stay on the on the ship. Here are some shots I took of the area around the dock in Victoria, BC.

IMG_2034_zps2abb6a6d.jpg

IMG_2045_zpsd2c55223.jpg

IMG_2046_zps75f82f9f.jpg

IMG_2047_zps36feebd0.jpg

IMG_2049_zpsba8bdf32.jpg

IMG_2050_zpsd6028273.jpg

May 14th...Time to go home...We arrived in port around 6am. We had an 11:30 flight from SeaTac & being Platinum & zone 1, we were supposed to have been off he ship by 7:45am. They didn't start calling Self-assist until after 8:00am, then just about every person on the ship opted for self assist. It took forever. We finally just got in the self-assist line & left the ship. Luckily, all of our luggage was close together, so we quickly got it, caught the first taxi we saw & flew to the airport. We got our luggage checked and through security to our gate by about 9:30am. Time to settle in for a long travel day because we were not due to get back to Nashville until 9:30pm. ugh!! Oh well, we survived it all & had a really amazing time on our Alaskan Cruise Adventure. Hope you all have enjoyed may review. I f you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks for reading my story!!

How did you get from the cruise terminal to the airport?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Taxi from cruise terminal to airport. Cost around $45.00 without tip. It took about 30 minutes to get to the airport from the cruise terminal.

Edited by lmtrn2001

Your review was great! It brought back good memories from our Alaska cruise last September on the Spirit. We also had awesome weather in Seattle pre-cruise (Labor Day weekend) and I thought to myself, what's all the talk about rainy Seattle? LOL.

Being from South Texas, I had an extremely hard time packing for an Alaskan cruise. All of my cruises had been warm-weather, Caribbean cruises. So, I just winged it and packed a little of everything, including an all-weather lined jacket that I thought I would never use but ended up wearing it every day in port. I took jeans, long-sleeved t-shirts to wear under fleece jacket, sweatshirts/hoodies, lots of pairs of warm socks, tennis shoes, leggings, and light-weight tunic type sweaters to wear with the leggings. Also, gloves, scarves, and winter hat/beanies. I also took my boots (not Western) to wear with my skinny jeans and leggings. I threw in some capris and light-weight tops for the days at sea ... and never wore them. On board the ship, I wore leggings and the light-weight sweaters. Even with a short-sleeved sweater, I always had to wear a cardigan sweater. Let me say this: we drank our weight in hot chocolate on that cruise!

The Alaska cruise is one of our favorites ... we'd do it again and probably will!

thanks! That is what we are planning to do. Was there an organized line or was it more of a free for all?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It began somewhat organized but after a while everyone seemed to just pile in & go. Good Luck!!

Your review was great! It brought back good memories from our Alaska cruise last September on the Spirit. We also had awesome weather in Seattle pre-cruise (Labor Day weekend) and I thought to myself, what's all the talk about rainy Seattle? LOL.

Being from South Texas, I had an extremely hard time packing for an Alaskan cruise. All of my cruises had been warm-weather, Caribbean cruises. So, I just winged it and packed a little of everything, including an all-weather lined jacket that I thought I would never use but ended up wearing it every day in port. I took jeans, long-sleeved t-shirts to wear under fleece jacket, sweatshirts/hoodies, lots of pairs of warm socks, tennis shoes, leggings, and light-weight tunic type sweaters to wear with the leggings. Also, gloves, scarves, and winter hat/beanies. I also took my boots (not Western) to wear with my skinny jeans and leggings. I threw in some capris and light-weight tops for the days at sea ... and never wore them. On board the ship, I wore leggings and the light-weight sweaters. Even with a short-sleeved sweater, I always had to wear a cardigan sweater. Let me say this: we drank our weight in hot chocolate on that cruise!

The Alaska cruise is one of our favorites ... we'd do it again and probably will!

I was thinking the same thing about the Seattle weather, all you ever hear about is all the rain & we never saw a drop!! Thank Goodness!!

And yes, the Hot Chocolate machines were in constant use!! Love Them!!

What kind of stuff are you wanting to know about?

Anything noteworthy going on while onboard the ship? Anything specific to Alaska or parties/buffets you don't want to miss? I assume most of the cruise is ran similar to the Caribbean cruises except the wildlife/glacier viewing while onboard?

Anything noteworthy going on while onboard the ship? Anything specific to Alaska or parties/buffets you don't want to miss? I assume most of the cruise is ran similar to the Caribbean cruises except the wildlife/glacier viewing while onboard?

The is a naturalist on board that holds different presentations about Alaska...some are better than others...but the one not to miss is the show North to Alaska. It is held the night of Skagway while still in port. A local man comes on board and gives the history of Alaska through song and story...fabulous!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Great review! I enjoyed looking at all your pictures and seeing a different perspective. Wish now we would have done the Tracey arm excursion, looked great. Oh well, there is always next time!

Everything is pretty much like any other cruise except for, as you said, the wildlife viewing and the Naturalist. If Chris Roberts is still CD when you go, he does a Blues Brothers Show that I heard was really good.

Great review! I enjoyed looking at all your pictures and seeing a different perspective. Wish now we would have done the Tracey arm excursion, looked great. Oh well, there is always next time!

We really enjoyed the small boat tour!! Hopefully you will be able to go back again soon!