Alaska Carnival Miracle May 7-14th

lmtrn2001

I am leaving this Saturday for our cruise on the 18th. I have been trying to figure out just what to pack. My question is what is the temp. around the ship, in the buffet or just walking around. Do you need a coat or maybe just long sleeve shirts. Thanks

I dream of doing an Alaskan cruise on the Miracle in 2014, but I am afraid it most likely will remain a dream. :( Thank you for the excellent review and photos so that I can live vicariously through you!

Lisa

May 12th...Ketchikan...Mother's Day

We arrive in Ketchikan to more Rain!! It was cold & looking out of our balcony we could see that it was also very foggy!! Not getting a good feeling about our excursion for today!!:mad:

IMG_1862_zpsaf40d137.jpg

IMG_1864_zpsbfcb1f64.jpg

We had booked a Flightseeing Float Plane with Island Wings. This was on of our most anticipated excursions of the whole trip!! We got off the ship shortly after we docked & went into town to shop & look around. Shortly there after, we got a call from Shona with Island Wings saying that due to the weather conditions, Michelle was not sure if we were going to be able to fly & that they would call us back by 9:00am & let us know. So we went exploring Ketchikan & waited for there call.

IMG_1868_zps73a5d6d7.jpg

Gold Miners Memorial

IMG_1866_zpsc58574a7.jpg

Here is a view of the Aft of our ship in Ketchikan. This is where our cabin was on deck 5.

IMG_1869_zps3e0788b0.jpg

We walked over to Creek Street & looked through the shops. They all used to be brothels in the gold mining days.

IMG_1877_zpsaebca481.jpg

IMG_1873_zps936b2dd2.jpg

And the Creek is really pretty!!

IMG_1871_zpsfb645f8c.jpg

We found this lovely thing for the gentlemen, to keep the "Package" warm & toasty all winter!!:D

IMG_1885_zpsfb9b3ff2.jpg

I am leaving this Saturday for our cruise on the 18th. I have been trying to figure out just what to pack. My question is what is the temp. around the ship, in the buffet or just walking around. Do you need a coat or maybe just long sleeve shirts. Thanks

Long sleeve shirts were fine on board the ship while inside...outside was another matter!!

Enjoying your review! Your pictures are awesome! What type of camera did you use? Would you do an aft again?

Thanks!! I research cameras for a while before buying. I knew I wanted something easy to use, point & shoot & an ultra zoom. The one I found through reviews was the Canon SX 50 & I have not regretted getting it at all!! Very easy to use & Awesome pictures!! Highly recommend thus camera.

As for the aft balcony, if I could get the wrap on deck 4, yes!! Otherwise, no!! It just wasn't usable enough!! On rainy days, you couldn't go out because there was no cover.

Great long detailed review. I will appreciate all the pictures

Any pics of the glacier from the ship? looks like the ones posted were from small boat

Love the retractable roof idea was that the front pool?

how was the pool water?

bringing grandson and I may have to swim too eek!

Did you get robes in your room?

Did you have to wear long sleeves in MDR?

Thanks

Great long detailed review. I will appreciate all the pictures

Any pics of the glacier from the ship? looks like the ones posted were from small boat

Love the retractable roof idea was that the front pool?

how was the pool water?

bringing grandson and I may have to swim too eek!

Did you get robes in your room?

Did you have to wear long sleeves in MDR?

Thanks

Hey!! Glad you are liking the review!!

There is one picture if the glacier from the ship that has the small boat in it.

The Lido deck in the Miracle is split into two areas, both with pools & hot tubs. The side that is closest to the lido dining is the one that was covered during the trip. DH said the pool temp wasn't bad but it was very rare to see anyone swim In any if the pools. The hot tubs got used occasionally.

Robes were in the rooms as usual but check it because the one I got to use looked like it had tiny specks of blood on it!! Not thinking they wash them after each cruise!!

Most if the clothes I took for Dining were long sleeved but the temps inside the ship were comfortable, not any colder than any Caribbean Cruise I've been on.

Hope this helps!! Enjoy your trip!!

Loving your review. I sure hope to get the Tervis tumbler in June. We have booked 3 of the same excursions, Tracey Arm & Harv & Marv's & Island Wings. Hope you got to go up with Island wings, waiting for the rest of your review.

Will have to check to robes upon check in. Never used them before but would be nice on balcony in morning

Was going to wear sleeveless dresses to dinner better find a sweater just in case

Interesting about pool but it was early in season hopefully July warmer

Thanks again

More questions

Was there a midnight buffet? Chocolate?

Comedy brunch?

Thanks

There was no midnight buffet...the chocolate buffet was the last sea day sailing to Victoria & yes they had the Comedy brunch. I was not impressed with that at all. If you go, ask to be seated at the front if the dining room...we were at the back & couldn't hear anything!!

Great pictures! I can't wait for our cruise on the Miracle! Any tips about onboard the ship?

Check out Gatsby's Garden on Atlantic deck 3 FWD. It surrounds the Phantom Main Lounge. SO PRETTY and peaceful with nice windows to look out of. So many people don't know it is there.

Thanks

Only been on one cruise and I've always heard about chocolate buffet

On victory we had midnight buffet Mexican. Darn

Though I love Mexican food it was only OK

Looking forward to chocolate

Thanks

I don't know about AK cruises, but on Caribbean cruises, they usually have a deck party that starts about 11pm with music, dancing and then a Mexican buffet. They set up "Corona stations" and such. I actually like the chocolate buffet during the day. It is the "dessert" on the last sea day and you don't have to wait until late at night plus fill up on chocolate before going to bed! :eek:

Thanks

There was a Mexican buffet but it was at like 10:30pm, I think.