Princess Cruise tour luggage

traveller 100

We are doing the Fairbank/Denali/McKinley/Kenai 7 day pre cruise tour in July and are getting mixed responses on luggage. Last time we did this tour the typical air line carry on bag was allowed on the train, now we have read they are not allowed. We also know we can ship luggage ahead to meet you at the ship. Is this mandatory? How many bags can you have moved lodge to lodge as you travel?

If anyone has recently completed this land tour I would appreciate what you were allowed.

Thank you

Hi , we are also doing a land tour prior to the cruise. There is a page on the Princess web site that explains about the luggage thing. My understanding is that we can each have one carry on piece ( like air travel) plus one personal piece, a purse or backpack , that sort of thing (that will fit under the seat) for the bus travel between the stops. As for the train , I think we can only bring the personal item (backpack size) on with you. Perhaps they have luggage car ?? I don't know , this will be our first time on a land tour. However I did see where you can have a larger piece of luggage that they hold for you until you board the ship. I hope someone who has been on the land tours , responds to your question , so we will know what we are suppose to do. Thanks for posting the question.

Cori

We did the 8 day land tour from Fairbanks; 4 lodges; in 2009. We sent one bag on to the ship and kept one for daily clothing changes. We also kept a wheelie which did in fact fit under the seat on the train. Only one could fit; not two. Other than that we carried my large purse and my husband's camera/video bag.

For the bus, the driver put the wheelie underneath or we kept it on the bus in the rear.

we did the tour in 2006, and had one night only at Denali, 2 nights at McKinley Lodge and we were told we could each bring an airline sized carry-on on the train. AND no luggage "checked" through for our night at Denali, but it would get "checked through - travel by bus" and meet us at McKinley.

However, there was only room under each bench seat (for two) for ONE airline sized carry-on. And, in order for us to get ours under the bench seat the people seated opposite us had to get up. We had one wheelie and 1 backpack and I had my personal bag. I ended up sitting on the backpack. Couples who had brought 2 wheelie type carry-ons were able to have one "stored" at the end of one of the train cars, in the open air.

I am guessing they are trying to cut down on that altogether.

On a tour right now. Reverse of yours. They will bring 1 suitcase per person. Delivered to your lodge each night. Excess luggage waiting at the end of tour. You can have 1 carryon each (I see many with purse/camera bag in addition). Would suggest backpack or smaller carryon. Not much space to keep with you. I did see driver putting wheels bags under bus. Haven't done train yet. Post any questions and I will try to answer. Cruise views breathtaking btw.

Lib

On a tour right now. Reverse of yours. They will bring 1 suitcase per person. Delivered to your lodge each night. Excess luggage waiting at the end of tour. You can have 1 carryon each (I see many with purse/camera bag in addition). Would suggest backpack or smaller carryon. Not much space to keep with you. I did see driver putting wheels bags under bus. Haven't done train yet. Post any questions and I will try to answer. Cruise views breathtaking btw.

Lib

Thanks for posting , I would be interested to know what they do with the wheeled luggage on the train, a back pack is not very much space for clothing on a 6 day land tour. Especially since my husband is 6'6" tall . Please post what you find out.

Cori

Thanks for posting , I would be interested to know what they do with the wheeled luggage on the train, a back pack is not very much space for clothing on a 6 day land tour. Especially since my husband is 6'6" tall . Please post what you find out.

Cori

Cori: I already told you what I did with my wheelie on the train. You don't handle your large luggage; they deliver it to you at your next hotel.

Cori: I already told you what I did with my wheelie on the train. You don't handle your large luggage; they deliver it to you at your next hotel.

Thank you Pia: We will have to manage with one wheelie between us, and a small back pack each. Thanks for the info. I am a planner and get stressed when I am not sure what I need to do. :)

Cori

Thank you Pia: We will have to manage with one wheelie between us, and a small back pack each. Thanks for the info. I am a planner and get stressed when I am not sure what I need to do. :)

Cori

No need to stress. That's all you need. If that.

The reason I started the thread is because the Princess site states that wheeled carry on cases used on airlines are too large and not suitable as hand carried luggage on motor coaches or train. I know we used them in the past but have things changed. If so, what do you use?

The reason I started the thread is because the Princess site states that wheeled carry on cases used on airlines are too large and not suitable as hand carried luggage on motor coaches or train. I know we used them in the past but have things changed. If so, what do you use?

There is nothing different from what they are telling you now with what they have always stated. Sometimes allowing person to use a wheelie means that they can use two. Not true. One will be fine and will fit under your seat; lengthwise. That means it's the only thing that will fit under a double seat.

You are missing the point. Princess is saying you cannot use the airline type carry on period. Only soft sided bags are allowed. I'm trying to find someone who has travelled this year to see if this is true.

No they don't... here's the official guide from the Princess website. They recommend soft-sided bags, but if your wheeled carry-on fits within the size guidelines, you'll be fine. As they say, there are some carry-ons that are just too big.

Hand-Carry Tote/Backpack

• You'll want this bag with you every step of the way, so include only the essentials.
  • Items to pack in this bag include travel documents, photo ID, important medication, toiletries, camera, and any extra layers of clothing such as jackets or hats.
  • Your hand-carry tote bag should be a size that is comfortable to carry and should be able to be stowed under your seat. We recommend soft-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17" x 14" x 4" with a zip enclosure.
  • Wheeled carry on cases that are used to carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches and trains.

You are missing the point. Princess is saying you cannot use the airline type carry on period. Only soft sided bags are allowed. I'm trying to find someone who has travelled this year to see if this is true.

I didn't post to be chastised, only to help. You will do whatever you choose to do anyway.

Edited by Pia1913

• 3 years later...

This is my first cruise, so be easy with me :-)

Princess says 17 x 14 x 4 for the personal bag. But then again I read here that ONE small wheelie could fit (though I don't need a wheelie) and many others are saying that a small backpack will easily fit. (I would like to use a backpack) Both the wheelie and most backpacks are more than 4 inches think. How do I interpret the Princess "requirements"?

I plan to take a backpack for daily use for excursions and transportation between lodging.....a suitcase for land travel, probably on the small size that will be tagged with the "meet me tonight" that princess will pick up each morning outside your hotel room and transfer to your next hotel/lodge (there is no size requirement for this)....and I will pack at larger suitcase for the "meet me on the ship" tag. This is how it is explained here on this link ...the instructions start on page 7...https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/CAB_Alaska.pdf

I plan to take a backpack for daily use for excursions and transportation between lodging.....a suitcase for land travel, probably on the small size that will be tagged with the "meet me tonight" that princess will pick up each morning outside your hotel room and transfer to your next hotel/lodge (there is no size requirement for this)....and I will pack at larger suitcase for the "meet me on the ship" tag. This is how it is explained here on this link ...the instructions start on page 7...https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/CAB_Alaska.pdf

Exactly what we did and it worked perfectly. DH carried his cpap and camera in this bag that stayed with us as we traveled between lodges https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D97M0YU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I carried a day pack with just the items we needed while on the coach or train.

My day pack is an Osprey daypack like this https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs-Daylite-Backpack-Real/dp/B019TT9MYM/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

Edited by Alaskanb

Exactly what we did and it worked perfectly. DH carried his cpap and camera in this bag that stayed with us as we traveled between lodges https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D97M0YU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I carried a day pack with just the items we needed while on the coach or train.

My day pack is an Osprey daypack like this https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs-Daylite-Backpack-Real/dp/B019TT9MYM/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

Thank you for the example.

I am also on an Alaska cruise tour in May. We are ONLY taking our backpack with us on the train.

DH and I will EACH have 1 pcs of large luggage that follow our travels on land.

We will have a 3rd piece of luggage that will meet us on the ship.

If I am reading correctly, the OP and others with questions, are thinking they will not have luggage at each lodge other that a "wheelie" or backpack they are carrying on their person. That is not true. Your change of clothing luggage will follow you to the next night where you are staying. Princess will have it waiting for you in your lodge hotel room.

No need to stress...everything will fall into place just as it should.

Enjoy the Alaska trip land and ship!!:)

Thanks. Those are the instructions that say your personal bag can be no larger than 17 x 14 x 4 inches. Most backpacks I have seen are more than 4 inches thick when they have normal items in them. That is my issue.

My report on an Alaska tour has photos that show the storage space at the train seats.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727858