Bob Dickinson's back?

With the year CCL has had????....I don't think so, but what do I know. What I do know is that he is probably a brilliant man but not all people are cut out for all positions. He was likely an amazing CFO....he is good, no GREAT with money but seems to lack what it takes for the daily operation of a major cruise line because he is thinking of nothing but the bottom dollar. There needs to be a balance. He does not have it.
Actually I meant it tongue in cheek (where did that phrase come from....). We actually had the opportunity to meet him twice, once on the Splendor when she first got to Long Beach and again on the first day of our cruise on the Dream when he "popped in" on baord and talked to guests. He is a very engaging guy and easy to talk to. Appears to have 9 lives as well. When we came in, he cleaned house and a lot of good senior people went elsewhere. He brought in and promoted a lot of people to key spots. There are times when I felt for him in some of things he had to do...although I am sure he is paid well to do it.;) Concur with the balance comment.

With the year CCL has had????....I don't think so, but what do I know. What I do know is that he is probably a brilliant man but not all people are cut out for all positions. He was likely an amazing CFO....he is good, no GREAT with money but seems to lack what it takes for the daily operation of a major cruise line because he is thinking of nothing but the bottom dollar. There needs to be a balance. He does not have it.

You are overlooking one important facet of Cahill's managing skills.

Good managers make good employees, and you didn't see ANY bad news about the Carnival employees when the ships were having trouble. A good manager doesn't have to be in front of a camera or waving flags to show how good he is.

Good managers make good employees, and you didn't see ANY bad news about the Carnival employees when the ships were having trouble. A good manager doesn't have to be in front of a camera or waving flags to show how good he is.

No, but have you been reading the employees feedback about the return of Mr. Dickinson? They are OVERJOYED!

I just saw another post with links about Cahill's comment about the robes after the Triumph incident. The man is a math-head...sometimes this comes with a lack of social skills. You cannot be the head of a cruise Line and not have social skills. I imagine he IS good...I just don't believe he is good at his current role. There is more to a business than profit. Profit is vital, but you have to find balance to obtain it.

CCL employees need to be happy...but so do their passengers.

:)I read up on Uncle Bob, anyone who thinks he has been brought in to sweet talk TA's is rather naive.He will be a magnet for the disaffected back stabbers, its a very smart move will anyone guess who he reports to before the board.

Chopping blocks are a bit to public and expensive for Plc's, just sideline and let the ego commit suicide.

Is the Carnival pr department "naive" ???? They seem to believe that is the reason Dickinson was brought back.

Carnival Corp. said Bob Dickinson, former president of its flagship Carnival Cruise Lines brand, has been hired to provide advice on marketing and travel agent relations.

I just saw another post with links about Cahill's comment about the robes after the Triumph incident. The man is a math-head...sometimes this comes with a lack of social skills. You cannot be the head of a cruise Line and not have social skills. I imagine he IS good...I just don't believe he is good at his current role. There is more to a business than profit. Profit is vital, but you have to find balance to obtain it.

CCL employees need to be happy...but so do their passengers.

The passengers also make the cruise lines and their employees happy......

Some by coming ---------------------Some by leaving !!!!!:rolleyes:

Is the Carnival pr department "naive" ???? They seem to believe that is the reason Dickinson was brought back.

Carnival Corp. said Bob Dickinson, former president of its flagship Carnival Cruise Lines brand, has been hired to provide advice on marketing and travel agent relations.

That's what they are saying. Time will tell. I still think changes are going to be made in some capacity and NOT just appeasement of travel agents

The passengers also make the cruise lines and their employees happy......

Some by coming ---------------------Some by leaving !!!!!:rolleyes:

This adds so much to the conversation. Thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

I cannot for the life of me understand why a 'few' people on here seem actually miffed that BD has been brought back on.

I cannot for the life of me understand why a 'few' people on here seem actually miffed that BD has been brought back on.

A few individuals have invested so much in declaring that everything is great and there are no problems, that admitting that BD is a good thing is an admission that they are wrong.

I'm sure acknowledging that his return is even potentially good for the company is an admission that there is actually a problem. That old cliche about the first steps to recovery is admitting there is a problem is apparently alive and well within Carnival Corporation but seemly lost on some here.

PR departments say lots of things.....dont confuse that with reality. It's called, making chicken salad out of chicken .... oh I can't remember now.

That's what they have been told to say,this is very clever manipulation at present because the driving force behind this appointment cannot afford to destabilise the share value and offend corporate investors in your stock exchange or our's.

Sir Jon Parker and Sir John Band of the UK PLC are very interesting people.

The line needs someone who would have choppered out there when the lights were out and manned a barbeque pit.

That wouldn't have made any sense to do so for many reasons but doing so wouldn't have accomplished anything and he couldn't properly handle the situation away from corporate hq.

Naive are the people who think there will be significant changes to the onboard Carnival experience.

I'm sure acknowledging that his return is even potentially good for the company is an admission that there is actually a problem. That old cliche about the first steps to recovery is admitting there is a problem is apparently alive and well within Carnival Corporation but seemly lost on some here.

A few individuals have invested so much in declaring that everything is great and there are no problems, that admitting that BD is a good thing is an admission that they are wrong.

Amazing.....

The idea that they line they so love/defend may actually wind up IMPROVED due to the help of a tried and true CCL employee disturbs them because it means they may have been wrong....

That is strange loyalty....

Naive are the people who think there will be significant changes to the onboard Carnival experience.

CCL doesn't require significant changes...not even changes that would cost them that much money.

Being the eternal optimist, I will just wait and see what BD does. If he can't do it, then I surrender.

If -- as many of you say -- the problem is with Carnival Cruise Line and Cahill, why is BD being brought in to consult the other cruise lines under the Carnival umbrella ????

Also, what is the reason for some upper level employees across the pond being let go ?????

Since the Royal stock has been mentioned, it is paying less than half the dividends that CCL is paying, yet Royal put a news release out a short time ago that their profits were up (I believe it was 63 percent).

If they are giving less back to the shareholders than CCL (with all their problems), What is Royal doing with the profits??

I know some will say I am a Carnival cheerleader, but the dollars speak for themselves and I can't figure out why Royal would be considered a good buy by those who are dissing CCL ??????

RCCL is building new ships that people WANT to sail not REFURBISHING ships by putting lipstick on a pig and having CHUTZPAH to call it new

some investors prefer growth to income

RCCL is building new ships that people WANT to sail not REFURBISHING ships by putting lipstick on a pig and having CHUTZPAH to call it new

some investors prefer growth to income

RCL MARKET CAP IS 7.33B

CCL MARKET CAP IS 19.37B

ANY MORE STATISTICS NEEDED ????:rolleyes:

Does corporate investment or debt go into the net profit column ??

I heard Carnival ships are sailing full.

:cool:There is alot of people here who sure seem concerned about Carnival, even tho they don't sail with them anymore!!:rolleyes:

You can say that again. :p

Carnival is getting new ships for under $200 million and others are paying over a billion. Well, actually financing over a billion. :eek:

Think they can get 5 times the Carnival price for their cruises? I don't.

Archived