pre-cruise Denali roadtrip questions

PeterTellus

Our flight arrives in Anchorage at noon, then we are renting a car and driving to Denali. We have a cabin in Healy for two days.

1) Once we get the car, where is a good place to pick up food, snacks, and other things for the drive. I see many groceries stores listed as well as Fred Meyer. Any easy access from the highway?

2) What things are better bought at home and brought with us?

3) What parts of the drive are better than others as far as sightseeing? Landscapes, wildlife, so on.

The usual Big Box stores are in Anchorage. Bring your membership cards.

Fred Meyer is just fine as well.

I suggest an inexpensive ice chest for keeping cold drinks and snacks cold. The further you go north from Wasilla (a shopping cross roads for sure) the higher prices go....and keep going up.

Time spend in buying your own groceries and supplies will pay off as you go up to Denali and find out what things cost. Also you will have your own choices.

These days you can buy about anything in Anchorage and Wasilla so I wouldn't bother bringing stuff from home unless you have a secret spice mix or some such.

I always buy snack bars, trail mix, peanut butter, cheese, bread, instant coffee (I carry my own very good tea) and some basic picnic supplies such as plastic eating ware and paper towels. I always have a bottle of window clearner along when driving for windshields, windows, headlights and etc. I also buy a package of boiled eggs. A good snack and/or food for the Denali park buses.

You could buy deli meats if you have a cooler.

An inexpensive knife or scissors for opening packages is a good idea. Also baby wipes for quick clean ups. If you use mouthwash, buying a large size bottle in Alaska solves the problem of TSA limitations of 3 ounces/ 100 ml.

There are few highways in also so shopping is clustered along the main routes. You can do a Bing or Google search and make your plans.

If you want wine or alcohol you can buy it as well with the liquor stores being outside of the grocery stores but usually very close by.

Have a wonderful trip!

Our flight arrives in Anchorage at noon, then we are renting a car and driving to Denali. We have a cabin in Healy for two days.

1) Once we get the car, where is a good place to pick up food, snacks, and other things for the drive. I see many groceries stores listed as well as Fred Meyer. Any easy access from the highway?

2) What things are better bought at home and brought with us?

3) What parts of the drive are better than others as far as sightseeing? Landscapes, wildlife, so on.

I would wait to do your grocery shopping in Wasilla. You can hit a Fred Meyer's, Carr's/Safeway, Target or Wal Mart right off the Parks Highway there. If you want a wider variety of wine/alcohol, there is a Brown Jug in Wasilla too.

Unless, you have special food needs, I'd just buy stuff up here.

In regards to sightseeing, your landscape north is going to be about the same from Anchorage to Denali, though, you will get into the hills the closer you get to the Park (but, all great paved highway), and, the wildlife will be hit or miss. Just never know where they might be.

I always like stopping at the Veteran's Memorial (great potty spot). If McKinley is out, there is a great picture opportunity there.

Susan in Anchorage :)

On our last trip we stopped in Wasilla for groceries instead of Anchorage. As a 1st time RV'r I thought Wasilla would be easier than negotiating the streets and traffic in Anchorage. There's a Walmart, Fred Meyer, and Safeway/Carrs just off the hwy so Wasilla is very convenient. Fred Meyer is like a super store ... their prices are good and they carry groceries, deli/bakery, clothing, sporting goods, etc. Get a customer card online ; depending on how much you spend you get a discount at their gas pumps.

Great suggestions from Penny!

I ALWAYS stop in Eklutna to see the Spirit Houses and Orthodox Church. It's about 20 miles north of Anchorage, 5 minutes off the hwy. http://eklutnahistoricalpark.org/

If you have a clear day stop in Talkeetna for a view of the mountain. It's the halfway point to Denali so it's nice place to stretch your legs, walk to the river, wander around town, have a cup of coffee.

Stop by your library to see if they have the Alaska Milepost ... make copies of the George Parks Hwy section if you see an area that looks appealing. Or the Bells guide: http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/parks_highway.html

Get a customer card online ; depending on how much you spend you get a discount at their gas pumps.

Great suggestions from Penny!

Can you get a card online? I was trying to figure it out but it said to stop in for a card.

When we drove from Anchorage to Denali, we stopped in Wasilla at Fred Meyer for food, water bottles, and adult beverages. Also filled up on gas as we knew it would get more expensive as we drove north. We also bought an inexpensive foam case to keep things chilled while we were on the road.

Don't forget to pick up a couple rolls of paper towels, Windex and auto wind shield washer fluid. The car looked like we went through a massive bug storm by the time we reached Denali.

Milepost was our guide for the 8 days we were on the road. With four of us in the car, we took turns reading sections aloud, stopping along the way for pictures.

Darcy

I have a Target credit card where I get 5% off all purchases. I see there is a Target in Wasilla.

Does anyone knwo if it is a full service Target with groceries???

Here is a link to that Target in Wasilla. http://weeklyad.target.com/wasilla-ak-99654/pages#1

It sure looks like it has a grocery department. But you could phone up and ask.

Wasilla has really grown up!

Target would also be a good place to shop for souvenirs and basic needs in case you forget to pack underwear etc.

The Target in Wasilla is not a Super Target, but it does have a small grocery section. No fresh fruit or meat though.

In my opinion the stores in Wasilla are easier to get in and out of, but there is a 2% sales tax that you do not have in Anchorage.

Fred Meyer is part of the Kroger chain and Carrs is part of the Safeway chain. So if you have their loyalty cards you are good to go.

Archived