What would you do?

99florida

We will be on our cruise in a few weeks and quite excited about visiting St Maarten once again. We are bringing friends this time that have never been there. Since we are doing an excursion on St Thomas (snorkel & swim), we thought we would just hire a taxi for our time privately and do ???? on the island. Head to Maho Beach in the morning, then head over to Orient Beach, (French side shopping???? for a little bit), maybe go to another beach (snorkel) and then be brought back into town for some shopping, tropical drinks, etc... before returning to the ship. What would you do if you were to hire a taxi for the day privately for a party of 4? Should we go to Maho Beach in the morning, mid-day, or early afternoon to see the planes and eat/drink of course at Sunset Bar?

Anyone have an idea of the total cost it would be to hire a taxi for the day. He would drop us off and pick up later at Maho Beach, Orient Beach, (? Beach), tour of the island, and back to downtown?

Splitting the cost would obviously make it more economical for both couples in the end.

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.....:)

First if all we would rent a car as SXM is very easy to drive. Otherwise taxi but it will be a pricier option of course. I remember posting the taxi fares from OB to Maho and back to port in an earlier thread, and you can also Google the taxi rates.

Maho and Orient are quite far apart, and since both are beaches that will be crowded with your fellow cruisemates and are not the nicer SXM beaches I would recommend another itinerary.

Perhaps hit Baie Rouge, then drive to Marigot and shop and have lunch. There's an excellent small restaurant on the marina with wonderful quiche and French baguette sandwiches.

Then drive to Friar's Bay or another beach near there and if time permits visit Grand Case. Any of the beaches along the west coast will be much nicer and less crowded than OB and Maho.

I know you aren't looking for an excursion, but for a totally different experience that is really a great time for 2 couples the Golden Eagle is an excellent 1/2 day sail and involves no driving. Sxmsailing dot com.

The Taxi Association had a page on their website for an All Day Tour, but I think that they didn't renew the web address and it was grabbed by a local tour operation/opportunist.

But knowing how unreliable the website was in the past, I had grabbed screenshots of some of the information.

th_adttext.jpg th_adt.jpg

(click)

Their quoted fare (from a year or so ago) was $250 for 1-6 pax.

That would appear to put you in the same range as a private tour with Joyce Prince, mentioned here regularly.

Bernard's also offers private tours, but I believe that he is oriented towards a group of more than four and might be considerably more expensive.

For a 1st, 2nd visit to the island, I really don't recommend renting a car. Maybe later after you become more familiar, but it sounds like you'd like to just relax with your friends. Both Joyce and Bernard provide complimentary drinks. :)

That said, I would rearrange your travel. I would also skip the snorkeling, as it's not very good, even at the best locations.

Start by going to Orient to enjoy for as long as you like, which might be a long time. It's our favorite beach to visit even after 55 weeks spent on the island.

Perhaps even enjoy lunch there, like at Orange Fever.

Drive through Marigot. You could stop at Sarafina's if you're in need of desert.

Head to Maho, where the best plane watching is from mid-day on, but as you've already eaten, you could settle in at Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar, on Maho but opposite side of the runway from Sunset for cheaper drinks.

Back to P'Burg for some shopping and back to the ship.

gary

I can appreciate not wanting to drive as part of a relaxing day, I recommended that because SXM is so very easy to drive, and renting a car provides the most flexibility while also minimizing costs. But having a private driver is much easier.

We've stayed on OB, and since you are bringing friends for their first visit I would think that you would want to show them a gorgeous beach rather than take them to 2 of the most crowded and just ok beaches but everyone is different. We enjoy less busy days at OB but when ships are in it's the same vibe as being around the main pool on the ship in our opinion. Save the snorkeling for Sapphire or STJ on your STT stop.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do!

I can appreciate not wanting to drive as part of a relaxing day, I recommended that because SXM is so very easy to drive, and renting a car provides the most flexibility while also minimizing costs. But having a private driver is much easier.

We've stayed on OB, and since you are bringing friends for their first visit I would think that you would want to show them a gorgeous beach rather than take them to 2 of the most crowded and just ok beaches but everyone is different. We enjoy less busy days at OB but when ships are in it's the same vibe as being around the main pool on the ship in our opinion. Save the snorkeling for Sapphire or STJ on your STT stop.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do!

Summertime is not a busy time for ships in St. Maarten and Orient is a really long beach so I really can't see it being crowded for the OP's visit.

To the OP since you are visiting very popular spots I would just use taxis from place to place as it will be cheaper that way. No chance of being stranded with your chosen itinerary.

First if all we would rent a car as SXM is very easy to drive. Otherwise taxi but it will be a pricier option of course. I remember posting the taxi fares from OB to Maho and back to port in an earlier thread, and you can also Google the taxi rates.

Maho and Orient are quite far apart, and since both are beaches that will be crowded with your fellow cruisemates and are not the nicer SXM beaches I would recommend another itinerary.

Perhaps hit Baie Rouge, then drive to Marigot and shop and have lunch. There's an excellent small restaurant on the marina with wonderful quiche and French baguette sandwiches.

Then drive to Friar's Bay or another beach near there and if time permits visit Grand Case. Any of the beaches along the west coast will be much nicer and less crowded than OB and Maho.

I know you aren't looking for an excursion, but for a totally different experience that is really a great time for 2 couples the Golden Eagle is an excellent 1/2 day sail and involves no driving. Sxmsailing dot com.

Thanks so much for your insight. We are doing a sailing/snorkeling excursion on St. Thomas so the Baie Rouge and Friar's Bay sound like a good idea. Haven't been to either and I just "love" St Maarten.:o

Thanks so much for your insight. We are doing a sailing/snorkeling excursion on St. Thomas so the Baie Rouge and Friar's Bay sound like a good idea. Haven't been to either and I just "love" St Maarten.:o

Good choices but a very different day than you had previously described. I agree with Gary, i would want a car (taxi) at my disposal if going to these beaches on a cruise visit.Many people ask about renting a taxi for the day so if you could come back and let us know how much it cost in total and if you thought that the price was worth it will be helpful to others. Have a great day on the island.:)

If you're still considering using a taxi, be advised that both Baie Rouge and Friar's are fairly remote and a taxi will not normally be standing by.

gary

But if we were to hire them for the day, they would just sit and wait for us, correct?

:confused:

But if we were to hire them for the day, they would just sit and wait for us, correct?

:confused:

Yes of course, and that's the way to go if you want to relax and not worry about a rental and driving.

Enjoy!

Yes of course, and that's the way to go if you want to relax and not worry about a rental and driving.

Enjoy!

Definitely don't care to drive ~ on vacation after all ~ Do you happen to know the zone for the ship's port? Trying to map out if you hire a taxi as we go vs hiring one for the whole day? Might be more economical this way ~:)

Definitely don't care to drive ~ on vacation after all ~ Do you happen to know the zone for the ship's port? Trying to map out if you hire a taxi as we go vs hiring one for the whole day? Might be more economical this way ~:)

The Cruise Facility is in Zone 6. Downtown Philipsburg is Zone 5.

If you are planning on point-to-point taxi service I would forget about Friar's and Baie Rouge or other remote sites.

gary

This is a great help. Thanks so much ~ :o

Begin at cruise ship dock ~ facility (zone – 6)

• Then to Orient Beach (60 minutes)

• Next stop would be Pinel Island (ferry service $6 round trip) and would

stay for 2 hours)

• Marigot French side (60 minutes)

• Last stop Mullet Bay ~ Maho Beach (60 minutes)

• Back to cruise ship pier facility (zone 6)

I am guessing that this would cost around $125 for two people. What do you think? There will be four of us total so the taxi person would make well over $200 right?

Looking to see if anyone would think that this is a good estimate. :confused:

Begin at cruise ship dock ~ facility (zone – 6)

• Then to Orient Beach (60 minutes)

• Next stop would be Pinel Island (ferry service $6 round trip) and would

stay for 2 hours)

• Marigot French side (60 minutes)

• Last stop Mullet Bay ~ Maho Beach (60 minutes)

• Back to cruise ship pier facility (zone 6)

I am guessing that this would cost around $125 for two people. What do you think? There will be four of us total so the taxi person would make well over $200 right?

Looking to see if anyone would think that this is a good estimate. :confused:

I'm not sure of your port time so let's say it's 8-6 which really means 8-5:30.

If you are offf the ship, in a taxi and settled in at Orient at 9 you are doing well. Leave at 10. By time you get in your taxi and get over to Pinel on the ferry it will be 1030 at the earliest. If you stay at Pinel until 12:30 and the ferry is right there you won't get to Marigot until about 1:15 because of Marigot traffic. So an hour in Marigot puts you leaving there at 2:15. You need to give close to 45 minutes to get to the Mullet Maho so you are actually arriving when you should b leaving because traffic and bridge openings really warrant this. According to your plan, I have you leaving Maho at 4 and there is no way anyone with knowledge of St. Maarten, including a taxi driver would recommend this to you.

I would give up Pinel island because you are going to get to Maho too late in the day to see the biggest jets. Generally 12-2 is the ideal time for Maho.

So if you leave Orient at 10 and get to Marigot at 10:30 and leave Marigot at 11:30 you will get to Maho at 12:15. Spending 90 minutes at Maho for lunch and plane watching is about the right amount of time. At 1:45 you head over to Mullet and get settled in by 2 and then by 3 you should be in the car heading to town. You should be back by 4 giving you some time for shopping or drinks prior to heading back to the pier.

I'm not sure of your port time so let's say it's 8-6 which really means 8-5:30.

If you are offf the ship, in a taxi and settled in at Orient at 9 you are doing well. Leave at 10. By time you get in your taxi and get over to Pinel on the ferry it will be 1030 at the earliest. If you stay at Pinel until 12:30 and the ferry is right there you won't get to Marigot until about 1:15 because of Marigot traffic. So an hour in Marigot puts you leaving there at 2:15. You need to give close to 45 minutes to get to the Mullet Maho so you are actually arriving when you should b leaving because traffic and bridge openings really warrant this. According to your plan, I have you leaving Maho at 4 and there is no way anyone with knowledge of St. Maarten, including a taxi driver would recommend this to you.

I would give up Pinel island because you are going to get to Maho too late in the day to see the biggest jets. Generally 12-2 is the ideal time for Maho.

So if you leave Orient at 10 and get to Marigot at 10:30 and leave Marigot at 11:30 you will get to Maho at 12:15. Spending 90 minutes at Maho for lunch and plane watching is about the right amount of time. At 1:45 you head over to Mullet and get settled in by 2 and then by 3 you should be in the car heading to town. You should be back by 4 giving you some time for shopping or drinks prior to heading back to the pier.

Wow~ Thank you so much for helping me to think this all out. We are there from 8-5PM meaning we must be on board by 4:30PM.

You now have me rethinking our plans for the day. I'm so glad that I put this out there hoping someone would assist in the plan.

I think getting off the ship ASAP and go directly to Pinel Island for a couple of hours and then head over to Marigot if possible for a quick peek, then go directly over to Maho Beach.

Someone stated that Mullet Bay is about a 10 minute walk away. Do you think that this is true and if so would this plan work for us being able to get back to the port by 4PM?

If not, what if we skip Marigot altogether? Then would it work? If not then, skip Mullet Bay and just go directly to Maho Beach from Pinel Island.

What do you think the taxi cost would be for four adults doing this idea of the day?

I don't want to feel rushed or stress out especially on vacation.

Maybe we are better off doing Captain Bob ~:confused:

Appreciate your thoughts on this one.... Thanks:)

Wow~ Thank you so much for helping me to think this all out. We are there from 8-5PM meaning we must be on board by 4:30PM.

You now have me rethinking our plans for the day. I'm so glad that I put this out there hoping someone would assist in the plan.

I think getting off the ship ASAP and go directly to Pinel Island for a couple of hours and then head over to Marigot if possible for a quick peek, then go directly over to Maho Beach.

Someone stated that Mullet Bay is about a 10 minute walk away. Do you think that this is true and if so would this plan work for us being able to get back to the port by 4PM?

If not, what if we skip Marigot altogether? Then would it work? If not then, skip Mullet Bay and just go directly to Maho Beach from Pinel Island.

What do you think the taxi cost would be for four adults doing this idea of the day?

I don't want to feel rushed or stress out especially on vacation.

Maybe we are better off doing Captain Bob ~:confused:

Appreciate your thoughts on this one.... Thanks:)

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think that the first ferry over to Pinel is at 10. Let me see if I can find out because there is no sense in continuing this new plan if the first ferry isn't until 10. Ok I just checked and 2 places said the first ferry leaves at 09:00. The other thing that has me concerned now is your change from having a driver at your disposal to now just relying on taxis. The chance of a taxi being at the cul de sac when you need one after you take the ferry from Pinel Island is almost nil. I love your enthusiasm to see and do as much as possible but I don't think that it will work out and if it did it would definitly be a rush.

The walk from Maho to Mullet or vise versa would take adults about 10 minutes. It's an easy walk. You will want to be at Maho and not Mullet as getting a taxi is easier. With that said an easy 5 minute walk from Mullet will get you to the Maho entertainment area where taxis will be available. Now since you need to be back at 4:30 I would suggest leaving Mullet or Maho by 2:30. Traffic at this time is a little better and there is no bridge to worry about until later in the afternoon.

Sorry I don't have better news but keep asking and I am sure that you will get good imput on here and a great day can be planned. Don't give up just yet.

Dang, you got here before I could tell karysa that my Magic Ball said that you would be on the Freedom on July 4th from 8:00 - 5:00. :)

She's right on all accounts, but I'll throw some more cold water on the entire Pinel experience for this trip.

First, Pinel is another of those remote locations I've mentioned where there aren't necessarily taxis standing by. Having the taxi that takes you there promise to be back doesn't always work, as you can read here from time to time.

Secondly, the Pinel 'Ferry' isn't on some schedule like the bus at home. This is island time. It may start running at 10:00 or 9:00 or not. Even if it says somewhere that they run every 30 minutes, that might be in 20 minutes or in 45 minutes or whenever the boat fills up with enough passengers. And that works both ways. You can't count on any expectation of a schedule that you could depend on.

As an aside, though I've yet to visit Pinel, I've seen some photos that show the beach to be about as crowded as Orient in sections, so wonder exactlly what you might be looking for on this visit.

I'm going to stop here and see if you might re-evaluate Pinel before looking at your tentative schedule any more, but I'll be here watching for your comments.

gary

p.s. We'll all figure out something good. :)

Dang, you got here before I could tell karysa that my Magic Ball said that you would be on the Freedom on July 4th from 8:00 - 5:00. :)

She's right on all accounts, but I'll throw some more cold water on the entire Pinel experience for this trip.

First, Pinel is another of those remote locations I've mentioned where there aren't necessarily taxis standing by. Having the taxi that takes you there promise to be back doesn't always work, as you can read here from time to time.

Secondly, the Pinel 'Ferry' isn't on some schedule like the bus at home. This is island time. It may start running at 10:00 or 9:00 or not. Even if it says somewhere that they run every 30 minutes, that might be in 20 minutes or in 45 minutes or whenever the boat fills up with enough passengers. And that works both ways. You can't count on any expectation of a schedule that you could depend on.

As an aside, though I've yet to visit Pinel, I've seen some photos that show the beach to be about as crowded as Orient in sections, so wonder exactlly what you might be looking for on this visit.

I'm going to stop here and see if you might re-evaluate Pinel before looking at your tentative schedule any more, but I'll be here watching for your comments.

gary

WOW! once again.......:eek:

Maybe we are better of doing Capt. Bob's excursion. He is rated #1 on Trip Advisor. It does Pinel Island (lunch included) drinks consist of unlimited bear, soda, and water. You can see more via speed boat than a taxi for what we are interested in at this time. The regular land tours do not interest us as we've been there done that more than enough times in the past. The traffic and the thought of the bridge issue does put a damper on our thinking at that time of day.

We could just skip Pinel Island, shop some downtown, go to Mullet Bay and walk over to Maho and then from there taxi back. OR........... Capt. Bob.

So what's your take on these thoughts? You input is greatly appreciated.:p

gary

Hahaha. I was just editing. :)

I agree with Gary about the ferry. I have visited twice by ferry and they wait until its full and it's not for someone who has every minute in their day counted for or accounted for ?? ( it's late here, lol)

WOW! once again.......:eek:

Maybe we are better of doing Capt. Bob's excursion. He is rated #1 on Trip Advisor. It does Pinel Island (lunch included) drinks consist of unlimited bear, soda, and water. You can see more via speed boat than a taxi for what we are interested in at this time. The regular land tours do not interest us as we've been there done that more than enough times in the past. The traffic and the thought of the bridge issue does put a damper on our thinking at that time of day.

We could just skip Pinel Island, shop some downtown, go to Mullet Bay and walk over to Maho and then from there taxi back. OR........... Capt. Bob.

So what's your take on these thoughts? You input is greatly appreciated.:p

I think this is what we are trying to determine.

gary

Archived