What would you do?

99florida

WOW! once again.......:eek:

Maybe we are better of doing Capt. Bob's excursion. He is rated #1 on Trip Advisor. It does Pinel Island (lunch included) drinks consist of unlimited bear, soda, and water. You can see more via speed boat than a taxi for what we are interested in at this time. The regular land tours do not interest us as we've been there done that more than enough times in the past. The traffic and the thought of the bridge issue does put a damper on our thinking at that time of day.

We could just skip Pinel Island, shop some downtown, go to Mullet Bay and walk over to Maho and then from there taxi back. OR........... Capt. Bob.

So what's your take on these thoughts? You input is greatly appreciated.:p

I would take a taxi to Marigot and have the driver take you to the closest set of steps to the top of the fort. Climb the last set of stairs which takes 5 minutes. There is a fabulous view from up there. Climb back down all of the steps and you will be in the heart of Marigot. Browse the Market, hit a boutique or two and have an ice cap and pastries at Serafina's bakery. From there I would catch a taxi right across the street pretty much, at the ferry terminal building and go to Maho to see the planes. After the planes I would walk over to Mullet and enjoy the beach and snacks and drinks at Rosie's. Either have Rosie call a taxi for you or walk to the Maho entertainment district and catch one there. If you catch a taxi at 2:30 you should be back at the port area before 3:30 and you can stop to shop or better yet a nice cold beverage before boarding.

99florida,

Did you try contacting Joyce Prince or any other tour service?

Are you still thinking at all about an all-day taxi?

Are you thinking point-to-point?

Are you thinking a boat tour from the harbor?

Where are you on this?

gary

99florida,

Did you try contacting Joyce Prince or any other tour service?

Are you still thinking at all about an all-day taxi?

Are you thinking point-to-point?

Are you thinking a boat tour from the harbor?

Where are you on this?

gary

Gary,

I contacted Joyce about an all day private tour and she quoted me $300.

Our friends see to think that we can do our own thing cheaper by hiring a taxi. I'm not so sure.

I'm all for the Capt. Bob excursion but we are also doing a snorkeling thing in St Thomas. Our friends are on the fence about doing another one.

So.... if not Capt. Bob then a taxi/Joyce is the other option. What do you think?

We've been to the top of the island and looked out. Don't care to waste our time doing that again.

Love the beach, love to do something we haven't done yet, like Marigot (just not sure if it's worth it since it's expensive anyway), and love to bargain shop too.

Gary ~ plan my day....lol.. seriously... you sound like you are quite knowledgeable about St Maarten.

Freedom is the only ship in port that day so that is a plus, right?

HELP>>>>> only 2 1/2 weeks to go...:eek:

Gary,

I contacted Joyce about an all day private tour and she quoted me $300.

Our friends see to think that we can do our own thing cheaper by hiring a taxi. I'm not so sure.

I'm all for the Capt. Bob excursion but we are also doing a snorkeling thing in St Thomas. Our friends are on the fence about doing another one.

So.... if not Capt. Bob then a taxi/Joyce is the other option. What do you think?

We've been to the top of the island and looked out. Don't care to waste our time doing that again.

Love the beach, love to do something we haven't done yet, like Marigot (just not sure if it's worth it since it's expensive anyway), and love to bargain shop too.

Gary ~ plan my day....lol.. seriously... you sound like you are quite knowledgeable about St Maarten.

Freedom is the only ship in port that day so that is a plus, right?

HELP>>>>> only 2 1/2 weeks to go...:eek:

Ok, I think that our final decision is going to be Capt. Bob. A nice "real" lunch is included, goes to Pinel Island and Maho Beach area. No promises of a sighting of a big plane landing or taking off but that can be the same if we went on our own. I like the idea of not being stuck in any traffic. Our friends said that they are ok with the snorkel, lunch, drinks, etc.. with Capt. Bob so that's are game plan for now. Looking forward to a great day on St. Maarten. Love this place. Just wish it didn't cost so much to fly there.

Thanks Gary and All for your input. :)

Well, ok, then.

Glad that you have a plan, even though we went through quite a number of variations from the first shot at what to do. :)

I guess I should (pre-)formulate a day's plan for a (land) tour of what I would suggest so as to be able to offer it when someone asks.

gary

The snorkeling s better at STT for sure, I would not take a tour on SXM that included snorkeling and Maho as that s just a waste of a visit to a beautiful sland. Your instinct to see Marigot and visit at least one of the nicer beaches like Baie Rouge or those north of Marigot is much better. Don't get me wrong, when we first flew to SXM we did the touristy things like Maho and OB because we had do much time to see the island. But when there on a cruise we spend that more precious time as described above. Just so nice to get away from Philipsburg and the busier beaches and see more of the island.

I hope you're just taking a taxi and snorkeling at Sapphire or sailing to the cays off STJ when you go to STT?

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
First if all we would rent a car as SXM is very easy to drive. Otherwise taxi but it will be a pricier option of course. I remember posting the taxi fares from OB to Maho and back to port in an earlier thread, and you can also Google the taxi rates.

Maho and Orient are quite far apart, and since both are beaches that will be crowded with your fellow cruisemates and are not the nicer SXM beaches I would recommend another itinerary.

Perhaps hit Baie Rouge, then drive to Marigot and shop and have lunch. There's an excellent small restaurant on the marina with wonderful quiche and French baguette sandwiches.

Then drive to Friar's Bay or another beach near there and if time permits visit Grand Case. Any of the beaches along the west coast will be much nicer and less crowded than OB and Maho.

I know you aren't looking for an excursion, but for a totally different experience that is really a great time for 2 couples the Golden Eagle is an excellent 1/2 day sail and involves no driving. Sxmsailing dot com.

Was reading your answer and thought you sounded very knowledgeable so I thought I would ask. Be there on the Dream on July 3rd Wed. Want to go to Le Galion for the quiet and less crowds, but want to see the planes at Maho. Our time there is from 7 am to 5 pm . Do you think we could do both logistically and still get to enjoy both. Though not as important, some shopping would be cool even if its at the port . Just want to see some planes land don't have to be there that long, just want experience it. Would love some input!

Was reading your answer and thought you sounded very knowledgeable so I thought I would ask. Be there on the Dream on July 3rd Wed. Want to go to Le Galion for the quiet and less crowds, but want to see the planes at Maho. Our time there is from 7 am to 5 pm . Do you think we could do both logistically and still get to enjoy both. Though not as important, some shopping would be cool even if its at the port . Just want to see some planes land don't have to be there that long, just want experience it. Would love some input!

I vacation on the island in the summer so I thought that I might be able to give you some insight. Le Galion unlike Orient will be pretty deserted in the early AM. Orient will have beach walkers and breakfast goers so it would be my choice in the early morning. With that said Orient can have quite a bit of Seagrass and early morning prior to the morning beach clean up might not be the best time to see the beauty of this beach. The Seagrass more than crowds is the issue at Orient for me in the summertime.

Le Galion is a favorite beach of the islanders and in the afternoon especially it can get really busy with children in the afternoons. Two years ago on a Tuesday in July we visited the butterfly farm and went to LGalion but there must have been 100 kids there so we went to Orient and it was not crowded what-so-ever.

Mullet in the morning and a ten minute walk to Maho around 12 or so would be my suggestion for you. It is a postcard worthy beach. There is an AA flight from Miami scheduled for a two pm arrival on your port day. That is the only plane arrival that I checked so there may be other big jets before that for you to enjoy. If you leave Maho at 2:30 you will have time for shopping at least at the port area.

LeGalion is great to but there would be more time in the taxi and it would cost at least $20 for 2 more.

Just food for thought. Enjoy your day on the island.:)

Yes it would be some travel time and I think the west side beaches are a better choice. But that's just personal preference.

You could certainly just have the driver make a stop at Maho and then continue on to town for shopping.nyou msy get lucky and see a jet land - very cool!

Our first trip to St Maarten we went on the America's Cup excursion. It was probably the second best excursion we've had in 9 cruises! It was great fun, and very exciting. (I am a sailor and found it really enjoyable; my wife prefers power boats but she had a great time.) Now, what I would NOT do, is book a tour through Port Compass.

Port Compass was recommended to us by a very wealthy friend who said he uses them in every port he visits. We booked the "St Maarten Two Flags & Beach Bash Combo". Sounds like fun, right? There were about 18 people on the bus, and we were the only two on this excursion - the rest had signed up for shopping and a visit to the beach. Guess what we did? The beach we went to was fine, and our ticket included lunch, a drink, and beach chairs. Everyone else was on their own. Their tickets? $108 total for two. Ours? $189 for two. So half our time was spent at shopping stops, including the tackiest joint I've ever seen, and there was definitely no "beach bash" - we were on our own.

I guess I should (pre-)formulate a day's plan for a (land) tour of what I would suggest so as to be able to offer it when someone asks.

gary

Gary,

I might be interested in a day's plan! We are two parents (pushing 50) and two children 7 and 9. Love culture, looking to do this on the cheap but to see the island. Our day in Nov has three large boats, which means about 10k passengers :( Not into snorkel, sailing, etc - love to see the sights, learn about culture, would like to see Maho planes if possible, all about doing safe things :) I have two active kids. Love to learn about the two different cultures, would consider renting a car. $300 prices scare me away.

So, is this a place to start? I am serious, really am interested!

Archived