What time under Skyway Bridge?

Bibble

If we leave Tampa at 4:00, roughly what time would we be getting to the Skyway Bridge? I don't know if it's 30 minutes or 3 hours...

Thank you!

Your post reminds me of one of those old math questions, "If a train leaves Tampa going ... " The bridge will be 6:15 to 6:45 ish, depending if you leave on time.

Here's my pic from March

007.jpg.c7614865446a613866b0b16c6887686e.jpg

I, too, am looking forward to the squeeze under the Skyway on our upcoming Legend cruise!

Our only other cruise out of Tampa (Inspiration, 2011) was super-delayed due to fog. The ship couldn't get into port to disembark until after 6:30 pm! So, we didn't get to board until 9:30 pm, and the ship didin't sail until almost midnight. I tried to wait up to see the bridge, but I was bushed after a very long day waiting in the terminal!!:(

So, excited to experience the Skyway this time!:)

Last time we went under the bridge, I explained to my MIL that we're so close to the bridge, at the time the ship goes under, they had to coordinate to not allow any heavy trucks to be on the bridge. I told her to take a look, and it was true there were no trucks under the bridge.

Also, due to global warming and rising sea levels, starting about June 2015, the ships will have to go under the bridge only during low tide. As such, the ship has to come in during certain times, and go out during certain times. That's why you'll see the embarkation and disembarkation times vary depending on the sailing dates from that time onward.

Last time we went under the bridge, I explained to my MIL that we're so close to the bridge, at the time the ship goes under, they had to coordinate to not allow any heavy trucks to be on the bridge. I told her to take a look, and it was true there were no trucks under the bridge.

Also, due to global warming and rising sea levels, starting about June 2015, the ships will have to go under the bridge only during low tide. As such, the ship has to come in during certain times, and go out during certain times. That's why you'll see the embarkation and disembarkation times vary depending on the sailing dates from that time onward.

Is that true or are you pulling our legs??

For the OP (and others), here's my video (complete with corny music) of us going under on our girls' cruise a couple of years ago. That's my sister putting her big head and face right in the camera towards the beginning. :D

Lots of talk here in Tampa of moving the cruise port to the other side of the Skyway -- would allow the bigger ships in Tampa, plus not so much calculations of high tide, low tide, trucks, etc.

Not to mention the staggering cost of having a pilot take the ship 2-and-a-half hours each way. :eek: I love the bridge but I think they are going to have to move the port.

For the OP (and others), here's my video (complete with corny music) of us going under on our girls' cruise a couple of years ago. That's my sister putting her big head and face right in the camera towards the beginning. :D

Totally pulling your leg.

Pretty sure he said that to "mess" with his MIL.

As for moving the port to the "gulf" side of the bridge. I'm pretty sure that idea got shelved due mainly to the cost.

The infrastructure is already in place in Tampa. They'd have to build an entirely new seaport in St.Pete, they'd also have to redo all the roads in the area and I can tell you right now, there would be a serious fight with the population in St.Pete fighting against it.

To the OP...we went under the bridge at 1830 last September on our Legend cruise. (1830 = 6:30 pm)

It was true. 100%. Totally.

I certainly did explain to my MIL that way.

She did also looked at the bridge, and it was very true, there were no heavy trucks on the bridge at that time.

--

P.S. My wife and her siblings got together to buy her mom a spanking new iPad. My MIL loved it. She use it a lot, to take pictures. A few weeks ago when she was at our place, she asked my son to help her set up some calendar reminders. I told my son, and he did put in weekly reminders to make desert for us.

It was true. 100%. Totally.

I certainly did explain to my MIL that way.

She did also looked at the bridge, and it was very true, there were no heavy trucks on the bridge at that time.

--

P.S. My wife and her siblings got together to buy her mom a spanking new iPad. My MIL loved it. She use it a lot, to take pictures. A few weeks ago when she was at our place, she asked my son to help her set up some calendar reminders. I told my son, and he did put in weekly reminders to make desert for us.

LOL

Gosh I would have totally bought it too! I'm going to have to pull that one on my DD - she's MORE gullible than I am! :D

I don't think they are looking at St. Pete for a new area port. More likely, if it does happen, it will be in Manatee County where there is already a deep water port at Port Manatee.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Archived