Entertainment questions for Pearl Cruisers (May/June, 2013)

Hikini

For those that have recently been on the Pearl to Alaska, can you fill us in on what the entertainment was and who the entertainers were? And if you liked it/them?

Also, who was the cruise director? I realize things can change - I'm just curious right now.

For those that have recently been on the Pearl to Alaska, can you fill us in on what the entertainment was and who the entertainers were? And if you liked it/them?

Also, who was the cruise director? I realize things can change - I'm just curious right now.

Hi, Hikini! I saw that the current CD is Pedro Serra. Also, someone said that Anoop is the current Concierge but he is leaving in early September to be replaced by Patrick. I'm not familiar with either one of them.

Some of the entertainment so far has been:

Oh, What a Night (4 Seasons)

That's Entertainment

The Second City

Michael Ziegfeid (comic)

Encore

I just got back from the June 2-9 sailing on the Pearl. As someone previously said, Pedro was the cruise director. I wasn't very impressed with him; his humor was pretty much canned jokes rather than spontaneous humor (and he didn't have the great Brittish accent that we love in a CD). The shows were the Preview show which we enjoyed, Oh What a Night tribute to Frankie Valli which we really liked, That's Entertainment with the singers and dancers (we were not impressed), The Second City comedy team was funny but had a few things that could have been left out to make it more family friendly, The Comedy and Magic of Chip Romero had ok magic tricks, pretty much the ones you see everywhere and comedy that was inappropriate at times, Encore with the singers and dancers doing Broadway songs, we enjoyed this one, the Crew talent show was good and included "Fountains" which was hilarious. The farewell variety show had more of the magician and Oh What a Night, it was good. We didn't attend the late shows because they were mostly adult themes. There was also a comedian Rex Havens who was ok. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Damikaan, Thanks so much for the info!

I've never heard of Pedro before. In 8 cruises with NCL we've never had the same CD twice. Some are great and others have been so-so. But, while they can add to the enjoyment of the entertainment, they don't make or break a cruise for me.

I agree Hikini, a disappointing cruise director doesn't ruin a cruise, especially in Alaska, where the CD and entertainment are just an added bonus to the main attraction, the beauty of Alaska. We had great weather, saw glaciers calving, and lots of wildlife including whales, what we think was a pod of orcas, dolphins or porpoises, sea otters, sea lions, and eagles. We were only at the best glacier for about an hour so be sure and be out on deck for that so you can hear the thunder of the calving. Also the best wildlife viewing we had was a couple hours after leaving the main glacier, they will tell you what time you will be in that area. Be sure and be out on deck so you can move from side to side as people point out what they see. Our best viewing for it was at the front of the ship.

I agree Hikini, a disappointing cruise director doesn't ruin a cruise, especially in Alaska, where the CD and entertainment are just an added bonus to the main attraction, the beauty of Alaska. We had great weather, saw glaciers calving, and lots of wildlife including whales, what we think was a pod of orcas, dolphins or porpoises, sea otters, sea lions, and eagles. We were only at the best glacier for about an hour so be sure and be out on deck for that so you can hear the thunder of the calving. Also the best wildlife viewing we had was a couple hours after leaving the main glacier, they will tell you what time you will be in that area. Be sure and be out on deck so you can move from side to side as people point out what they see. Our best viewing for it was at the front of the ship.

I don't like to use this word very often because I think it is sadly overused, but Glacier Bay is AWESOME! We have always found that in the afternoon when we are leaving the "entrance" area of Glacier Bay that there is a lot of whale activity. I hope this is true for us again in September!

Hi, Hikini! I saw that the current CD is Pedro Serra. Also, someone said that Anoop is the current Concierge but he is leaving in early September to be replaced by Patrick. I'm not familiar with either one of them.

Patrick is the concierge currently. He is leaving on September 8th to be replaced by Anoop. Patrick is fantastic. Ask and you shall receive.

Second city was just bad. The magician was ok, not much glitz. Oh what a night was the best show by far. Four guys singing, dancing and joking a bit. Overall, the entertainment was some of the worst we have seen. Oh what a night is the only must-see.

Off the Pearl on June 2. I thought the entertainment in the main theatre was very good. As others have said, 'Oh What a Night' the best. We have seen the Broadway production of Jersey Boys twice and they are just as good as Broadway. The lounge singing fair. If you're a Barry Manilow fan you'll like the lounge singing. Didn't see any of the comedy shows. Spinnaker's entertainment OK.

Patrick is the concierge currently. He is leaving on September 8th to be replaced by Anoop. Patrick is fantastic. Ask and you shall receive.

Second city was just bad. The magician was ok, not much glitz. Oh what a night was the best show by far. Four guys singing, dancing and joking a bit. Overall, the entertainment was some of the worst we have seen. Oh what a night is the only must-see.

Funny how different folks experiences vary from cruise to cruise and party to party. We had Patrick as a concierge 2 cruises ago and we never saw him after the first day. He was very nice and pleasant when we did see him, but we never had any interaction with him. It's not that we had any complaints with Patrick - we certainly did not.

On the other hand, our last concierge, John D'Souza was fantastic - it seemed he was everywhere at once and he was Johnny on the spot with any requests and so gracious.

We've also had Belkys (sp?) and she was great. I've heard lots about Anoop so I hope to finally meet this famous person when we board the Pearl on 9/15.

I agree with you about Second City - I'm not a fan. I do like a good comedian, so I hope there is a stand up comedian for our cruise.

Thanks for your reply!!

Off the Pearl on June 2. I thought the entertainment in the main theatre was very good. As others have said, 'Oh What a Night' the best. We have seen the Broadway production of Jersey Boys twice and they are just as good as Broadway. The lounge singing fair. If you're a Barry Manilow fan you'll like the lounge singing. Didn't see any of the comedy shows. Spinnaker's entertainment OK.

We have seen "Oh What a Night" several times and always enjoy it. Different participants each time, but always enjoyable.

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry I have been busy in per-retirement mode and did not respond sooner :)

Hi Jagggg! We are part of the same Cruise Critic group on board the Pearl. Oh what a night...fantastic! Magician--alot of fun DH and I went to the night and afternoon show. Enjoyed some of the "lounge acts" but since our last ship was the Epic can't compare (like comparing entertainment in a small town vs. a large city). Friends won on the Not so Newlywed Game.

Patrick the best...ok better than the best! Pedro was very nice.

Archived