Decisions......

Heading to AK in a couple of weeks and I'm leaning towards taking a small kit with me. Just one body, 70-200, 24-70, 15 fish, and a flash. Now here comes the decision part, do I take the small kit or say the hell with it and take my 400.

What would you do?

Heading to AK in a couple of weeks and I'm leaning towards taking a small kit with me. Just one body, 70-200, 24-70, 15 fish, and a flash. Now here comes the decision part, do I take the small kit or say the hell with it and take my 400.

What would you do?

If I already had a 400, I would take it with me. I think you may find the 200 a bit short in some instances, and you'll be kicking yourself. I know that leaving the fisheye behind won't free up much space or weight, but I don't think you'd miss having it as much as you'd miss the 400.

I agree with you Turtle, the 200 will be way to short, even the the 400 will be too short a lot of the time. If I don't take it I can get by with a small backpack bag, if I take it I have to use my big roller bag. Also wouldn't use it off ship, not walking around with a 400/2.8 IS!

If you own a 400 2.8 and don't take it what's the point of owning it. I carried mine in a glass taxi from thinktank. It also hold the monopod for the beast. The wildlife in Alaska look better with a pro 400. It's also great on the ship when whales are spotted close in like you might find in GBNP.

Have fun it will be next year till I can get back there.

framer

If you own a 400 2.8 and don't take it what's the point of owning it.

I shoot professional sports in Chicago. Had a Lightware bag for it and never really used it so I sold it. TT makes some nice stuff, my roller is a TT Airport Security.

I'm still waffling back and forth about taking it or not.

I agree with you Turtle, the 200 will be way to short, even the the 400 will be too short a lot of the time. If I don't take it I can get by with a small backpack bag, if I take it I have to use my big roller bag. Also wouldn't use it off ship, not walking around with a 400/2.8 IS!

Well, probably not as much as you think, and certainly in those circumstances the 200 won't do it for you. I agree with you it would be for shipboard use... I also sympathize with your not wanting to take a bigger bag, and I guess only you can determine how much of a hassle that would be for you. But I think you'll really miss the 400 if you don't take it.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

(And as a complete aside, since you mention shooting pro sports in Chicago, I hope you get a chance to watch Elena Delle Donne play for the Sky. She is truly special.)

Archived