Overwhelmed by details already

Dizzneefan

As far as which cruise line to select, about a third of the Alaska cruising market is Holland America’s, another third is Princess, with all the other lines sharing the final third. Unless you really have a favorite cruise line, either HAL of Princess would make most sense.

I don't agree. Each cruise line can offer an excellent trip. There is no "perfect" cruise. I have sailed all the major lines there with the exception of Disney. Certainly each had it highlights.

If someone wants to consider the stand outs, then they aren't the regular cruiseships, I would think looking at the 100 passenger or less options would be superior. :)

If someone wants to consider the stand outs, then they aren't the regular cruiseships, I would think looking at the 100 passenger or less options would be superior. :)

If I had gobs of money burning holes in my pockets, RSSC or Lindblad or Oceania might be calling my name. As it is, I'm going more affordable.;)

I don't agree. Each cruise line can offer an excellent trip. There is no "perfect" cruise. I have sailed all the major lines there with the exception of Disney. Certainly each had it highlights.

There is no question that any cruise line can offer an excellent trip. That is not the point.

The point is that if there are 7 HAL ships, 7 Princess ships, but only one (for example) Carnival ship, in Alaska, then the OP will have more ships, more itineraries to chose from if she goes with HAL or Princess, rather than if she is looking at Carnival.

There is no question that any cruise line can offer an excellent trip. That is not the point.

The point is that if there are 7 HAL ships, 7 Princess ships, but only one (for example) Carnival ship, in Alaska, then the OP will have more ships, more itineraries to chose from if she goes with HAL or Princess, rather than if she is looking at Carnival.

Maybe it is more accurate to say that if one looks at all of the possible options, there's a 2/3 chance that they will end up on HAL or Princess, because they have 2/3 of the ships. That's no reason to lock oneself into only looking at those lines to begin with.

Yes, I'll admit that I only sail Princess right now, but there are other reasons for that which I won't go into here. I've been seriously considering a HAL cruise in the future because I want to see Sitka.

We are doing something similar next week. We are traveling with 6 -ages ranging from 14-70. We decided HAL Westerdam worked for us. It's out of Seattle and stops in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan and has a cruising day for Glacier Bay. Everyone had a "must" so we worked off of that list. This fit the bill, literally and figuratively. Grandma had to have a balcony, daughter wanted at least 2 "sea" days, son wanted to take a cooking class (available on HAL), niece likes the "dancing with the stars" theme, husband wants to go to Mendenhal Glacier and I wanted to see the Totem poles in Ketchikan. We are renting a van in Juneau, and taking small excursions in the other 2 cities. I'll let you know how it all goes after next week. :rolleyes:

We are doing something similar next week. We are traveling with 6 -ages ranging from 14-70. We decided HAL Westerdam worked for us. It's out of Seattle and stops in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan and has a cruising day for Glacier Bay. Everyone had a "must" so we worked off of that list. This fit the bill, literally and figuratively. Grandma had to have a balcony, daughter wanted at least 2 "sea" days, son wanted to take a cooking class (available on HAL), niece likes the "dancing with the stars" theme, husband wants to go to Mendenhal Glacier and I wanted to see the Totem poles in Ketchikan. We are renting a van in Juneau, and taking small excursions in the other 2 cities. I'll let you know how it all goes after next week. :rolleyes:

Your report would be great! Sounds like you've got all the bases covered for everyone. Be sure to share how everything goes. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Archived