too tired for night tour in St P?

drsb

Me again,

I am trying to decide if I should sign us up for the night fun tour. We are doing the deluxe long tour during the day. It seems there is a good split between sitting on a bus and walking around that we wont be totally exhausted.

What have others done? We are "young" mid-50s, DH in better physical condition than I am.

I am disappointed that we can't just wander off the ship in the evening like we have done in other overnight ports. Istanbul was especially memorable.

Me again, I am trying to decide if I should sign us up for the night fun tour. We are doing the deluxe long tour during the day. It seems there is a good split between sitting on a bus and walking around that we wont be totally exhausted. What have others done? We are "young" mid-50s, DH in better physical condition than I am. I am disappointed that we can't just wander off the ship in the evening like we have done in other overnight ports. Istanbul was especially memorable.

I am signed up for the full 2 day St. Pete tour in September with the evening option. I will be dragging for certain but when we get back on our ship on the second day, I will know that I saw as much as I could -- and will then crash early that night and maybe go a bit slower in Helsinki which is our next day.

You will probably never have another evening in St. Pete -- so why not see it all. I also find having a little bottle of 5 hour energy for exceptionally long sightseeing days helps me stay awake (but not jittery).

I also wish we could depart the ship at will (and Istanbul was great) -- but maybe they are afraid that the tourists will be fleeced or robbed -- or -- that they want to move to Russia!

Me again,

I am trying to decide if I should sign us up for the night fun tour. We are doing the deluxe long tour during the day. It seems there is a good split between sitting on a bus and walking around that we wont be totally exhausted.

What have others done? We are "young" mid-50s, DH in better physical condition than I am.

I am disappointed that we can't just wander off the ship in the evening like we have done in other overnight ports. Istanbul was especially memorable.

I can relate. I am "young" mid-50s as well, plus lately my knee has been giving me trouble. Just weeks before my whirlwind tour of scandinavia and the Baltic . I am traveling with my daughter who in her twenties who will have no problem with the odd hours and cobble stone streets and non-stop itineraries through museums and beautiful parks. Poor old Mom will do her best to keep up!

We are planning to do the evening Fun tour as well. I am still questioning my sanity in regard to this plan.

I am usually able to snooze almost anywhare and recharge. I am counting on being able to do that so I can greedily enjoy it all!

We did the night fun tour when we visited St Petersburg in June, 2012. We are also 'young' mid 50's with DH in a little bit better physical condition. DS was 20 at the time of our trip and my knee was giving me trouble as well (had surgery 4 weeks after we returned). We thoroughly enjoyed going out in the evening and would do it again in a heartbeat. Sure, we were tired but it was definitely worth it. We just planned a more laid back day in Helsinki. Have fun!!

You'll be fine, the excitement of being in Russia alone was enough to keep us going. Heck, you can always sleep when you get home!! ;-)

Excellent advice :D:D:D

It is not so much exhaustion as it is just long hours. Even the most energetic tours don't have you hauling stuff all day, there is just a longer day of walking. As I said in a previous post, there are times all thru the day that you will be able to sit and rest a bit.

Ourselves, we were mid 60's when we went, and we can do most anything touring, but we opted to relax that night, have a good dinner, see the show and relax. Trouble was as soon as we got to the show, we slept right thru it.:D

That's us though. We have no regrets about not doing something in the evening. It's your choice, but if you feel you have to see something like this, do it. As was said, you can sleep when you get home.

Cheers

Len

Hi everyone,

I am not quiet 50 yet and do have trouble walking long distance, which I love any way! So I have found the best ( for me ) orthopedic shoes : sketchers shape ups.

If the weather is not really hot they are best. From my experience last summer in St.Petersburg , one never knows what to expect and we cannot rely on a forecast. And I was sorry for not having them then.

Drsb, there are many beautiful parks in the city. You will be able to relax and enjoy your trip just by sitting and watching surrounding. And may be snoozing for a little. ;)

Archived