Changes in Passion Island?

bluedevil72

We have been to Passion Island twice, in 2002 and again in April of this year. I know it was almost totally destroyed by a hurricane, Wilma I think, between those two visits, but it is still a very pretty beach. Here's what I don't understand....in '02 I remember being able to walk out maybe 300' from shore and still be chest deep in water...and I've got the pictures to prove it. This year, it was like most beaches, walk out 50'-75' and you're in over your head. Am I not remembering this correctly or could the hurricane have caused the beach to change that much?

• 2 weeks later...
We have been to Passion Island twice, in 2002 and again in April of this year. I know it was almost totally destroyed by a hurricane, Wilma I think, between those two visits, but it is still a very pretty beach. Here's what I don't understand....in '02 I remember being able to walk out maybe 300' from shore and still be chest deep in water...and I've got the pictures to prove it. This year, it was like most beaches, walk out 50'-75' and you're in over your head. Am I not remembering this correctly or could the hurricane have caused the beach to change that much?

I just returned last week from a 4 day cruise to Cozumel on the Triumph. We took the Powered Catamaran tour to Passion Island. The beach is beautiful. The sand was soft and the water temperature was perfect. I didn't walk out to far from the shore however, other individuals did to play on the inflatable water toys and it did not look as if the water was very deep.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

..in '02 I remember being able to walk out maybe 300' from shore and still be chest deep in water...and I've got the pictures to prove it. This year, it was like most beaches, walk out 50'-75' and you're in over your head. Am I not remembering this correctly or could the hurricane have caused the beach to change that much?

That is what hurricanes do the most is destroy the underwater topography from the heavy surf dragging tons of sand out to sea.

Why shipwrecks that have been buried for hundreds of years suddenly are uncovered.

Why places like Ocean City, Md. suddenly have a huge new inlet to the intercoastal waterway after hurricanes.

We had just a minor tropical storm hit Folly Beach here a couple of years ago and it drug a hundred feet of beach out to sea and left the park offices and boardwalk area dangling over the ocean and condemned.

So yeah, a major hurricane could have easily dredged alot of sand out to sea.

Bill

Archived