From La Harve to Rouen and Honfleur

Not both places in one day, but I recently traveled to Honfleur by public bus from Le Havre. Many on here have said it would be easy, and perhaps it is if there is only one ship in port. While the trip itself doesn't require a lot of time, we spent a lot of time queueing to make sure we got on the bus (not all did) because there are few running even on a weekday. Despite that, we did have a great afternoon in Honfleur and would recommend a visit.

There is no train connection between Rouen and Honfleur, so it would be necessary to return from Rouen to Le Havre to get the bus to Honfleur. Fortunately, the stations are located closely together. The train trip to Rouen requires an hour or one and one-half hours one way, depending on which train you get. So, even though your idea may be possible, you might spend more time queueing and traveling than actual time to enjoy both of these places. Have you considered a rental car instead?

I recently traveled to Honfleur by public bus from Le Havre. Many on here have said it would be easy, and perhaps it is if there is only one ship in port. While the trip itself doesn't require a lot of time, we spent a lot of time queueing to make sure we got on the bus (not all did) because there are few running even on a weekday. Despite that, we did have a great afternoon in Honfleur and would recommend a visit.

I have been trying to decipher the bus schedule but being in French I have not had much luck, my high school French has failed me.

What time was the bus you caught and did you have enough time for a leisurely visit and an easy time getting the bus back?

There will be several of us going together, were there some mini van taxis to book for the trip to Honfleur available at the dock?

You're welcome! Assuming your ship docks at 7 am, the earliest buses in the morning you could get from Le Havre station are Mon-Fri bus #20 at 7:49 or Mon-Sat #20 at 8:45, but there are no other morning buses after that.

We took the first afternoon bus to Honfleur, #50 (Mon-Sat) at 12:42 pm. We thought a few hours in Honfleur were just right. It was Tuesday and the museums were closed. We strolled around the town and the harbor, then had a wonderful seafood lunch at one of the many outdoor cafes. We did a little shopping and then, caught the 4:12 bus back.

For the return, Mon-Sat, there are buses at 1:22, 4:12, and 5:49 pm Mon-Sat. There are additional buses as well but only on Mon, Wed, Fri.

Sundays have even fewer, and if you are there on a Sunday, I wouldn't even try it.

When you buy your tickets in Le Havre, the agent will circle the return times on the schedule for you.

Edited to add, yes, an easy time back--everyone in the queue got on. And, There may have been vans, but I did not notice any taxis at the cruise terminal larger than the standard size for 4. There were offering rides to downtown and to the station.

Just visited Honfluer last week. Set out to take the bus, but ended up in a group of 8 that hired a taxi we got right off the ship and we paid the driver to take us on a little tour. Very reasonable and worked out great. You dont need more than a few hours there. Morning is best....everything closes after lunch till 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Rouen is by train and a fellow passenger did that but got caught up in a train strike and had to hire a taxi back to the ship to the tune of 160 euro, so be careful with that one.

Just visited Honfluer last week. Set out to take the bus, but ended up in a group of 8 that hired a taxi we got right off the ship and we paid the driver to take us on a little tour. Very reasonable and worked out great. You dont need more than a few hours there. Morning is best....everything closes after lunch till 2 or 3.

I was in Honfleur in the afternoon and restaurants and shops were open.

Just visited Honfluer last week. Set out to take the bus, but ended up in a group of 8 that hired a taxi we got right off the ship and we paid the driver to take us on a little tour. Very reasonable and worked out great. You dont need more than a few hours there. Morning is best....everything closes after lunch till 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Rouen is by train and a fellow passenger did that but got caught up in a train strike and had to hire a taxi back to the ship to the tune of 160 euro, so be careful with that one.

What was the cost of the taxi?

I was thinking about taking the ships tour to Honfleur but at $75pp, it would be much cheaper to take a taxi.There are 4 of us.

So how many taxis were waiting at the dock? How easy would it be to find a taxi to take us back to the ship? Or do you have the taxi wait?

Thanks.

The taxi started out at 10 euro to the bus station, then we decided on 25 euro a person (8 of us) to go to Honfleur for 3 hours, the taxi would wait and then take us back. But we ended up doing 39 euro each and he took us to Deauville for 2 hours, Honfluer for 3 hours and then a city tour of Le Havre. It worked out perfectly.

We had to wait a little bit for a taxi, but not more than a half hour. The vehicle was new and held all 8 of us no problem. It was nice to have the piece of mind that the taxi was with us all the time. Mind you we dont do anything but private tours but this was a little more last minute than that and worked out perfectly.

All of the restaurants in Honfleur were open however the majority of the shops did close for lunch and they werent all the same time so somewhere between the hours of 1-3 alot was closed, but not the eating places, of which there are many. We were there from noon to 3 pm. Honfleur is a beautiful little fishing village town just like they say, well worth seeing and spending a few hours. There is even a 1900 carousel there that is working and is beautiful.

We've been to Honfleur quite a few times and really love the atmosphere, although there are a lot of tourists. Last time we were there, we took a taxi tour from the port, leaving mid-morning. We went to the area around Honfleur and it was really interesting, with lots to see. We then had a drive round the town centre- or as much as the driver could access, before we were left by the harbour for three hours on our own. We enjoyed visiting the shops and walked out to a park / gardens overlooking the estuary. We also had a leisurely lunch and bottle of wine in a pretty café overlooking the harbour. Perfect! The taxi driver then picked us up where he had dropped us off and we were back on board well before sailaway.

We've been to Honfleur quite a few times and really love the atmosphere, although there are a lot of tourists. Last time we were there, we took a taxi tour from the port, leaving mid-morning. We went to the area around Honfleur and it was really interesting, with lots to see. We then had a drive round the town centre- or as much as the driver could access, before we were left by the harbour for three hours on our own. We enjoyed visiting the shops and walked out to a park / gardens overlooking the estuary. We also had a leisurely lunch and bottle of wine in a pretty café overlooking the harbour. Perfect! The taxi driver then picked us up where he had dropped us off and we were back on board well before sailaway.

We are going in September and dock in Le Harve. Instead of taking the ships excursion at $69.00 pp and be on their schedule, I was hoping to do it on my own. I have read on the boards that the bus is too difficult and the taxi would be too much. Where did you dock? Do you remember what you paid the taxi driver?

My husband and I and two other friends really want to do both Rouen and Honfleur on the day we are in La Havre in coming July. We soon find out it can't be done by using public transportation. We found www.Radiotaxi-Lehavre.com who quoted us 330 euros for 9 hours, which include an English speaking driver/guide who will pick us up from the pier, a tour of Rouen, scenic route to Honfleur and a tour there before drop us off at the pier. We think the price is quite reasonable and we really look fortward to it.

LeeWalker,

Did you reserve a taxi with RadioTaxi-LeHavre or is the quoted price from their website? I have sent them two emails over the course of one week and still haven't heard back from them. Did you use their "contact@" email address. If you have a different email address please share. thanks.

LeeWalker,

Did you reserve a taxi with RadioTaxi-LeHavre or is the quoted price from their website? I have sent them two emails over the course of one week and still haven't heard back from them. Did you use their "contact@" email address. If you have a different email address please share. thanks.

We emailed Christophe directly who is with Radiotaxi-LeHavre, Christophe.dallet@orange.fr. He responded to our emails promptly and he was the one who quoted us the price. Our guide will be one of the drivers from radiotaxi. You will not find this tour from their website as it is customized based on our request. I am sure he will do the same for you.

Archived